• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weird weather screen problem

HTC_Desire

Apr 2, 2010
OK, I live in Portsmouth in the UK, but the home screen never recognises Portsmouth when it comes to weather forecasts, yet does recognise smaller towns around me - It just says "Portsmouth (Current)" and has no weather image or info. However, if I hit the + icon to add a place, and put Portsmouth in, then it comes up and works fine, but as it is not recognised as (Current), you have to scroll to it in the list of places you are getting weather for.

Just seems a tad annoying, as I want the weather image on my home screen ( Yes I know it's sad, but I like the pictures :-> ).

Works fine by the way if I am in Havant a couple of miles down the road, as Havant (Current) has the weather appear just as it should.

Anyone else experienced something similar or know how to fix.

Regards
Ken...............

Hi,

Received my Desire yesterday and also have the same problem, and it bugs me!

On my Home screen all I'm getting currently is 'Current Location' under the clock. If I tap on it it goes to the 'Weather' screen and then comes up with 'No weather data available'.

If I click on the + symbol I can search for my location 'Salisbury' which it finds, I tap it to select it and it has been added 2/2 showing details, although I'm currently seeing a Moon and 0c.

If I update it, it comes back after a short while with 'Connection Error' - 'There was an error while attempting to download weather data. Retry?'

My question is what do I need enabled to get this data, and why does it not show my location on the 1/1 on the weather screen and clock?

Regards

Upvote 0
Doesn't work for me either... I'm in Cambridge and have this problem with both Hero and Desire... Solution - recreate widget and add your city manually and select it...
afonja - are you saying that doing this means you now see the appropriate weather symbol on the main home screen - Not that you have to go to weather and then scroll to your town?

I have Portsmouth added as a location and if i scroll there manually i can see the weather just fine - but on my main home screen for the same location it sees nothing

Upvote 0
afonja - are you saying that doing this means you now see the appropriate weather symbol on the main home screen - Not that you have to go to weather and then scroll to your town?

I have Portsmouth added as a location and if i scroll there manually i can see the weather just fine - but on my main home screen for the same location it sees nothing

The way mine is, If I have the weather widget set to current location which is Cambridge (the same as afonja) it will just say no weather data available but will tell me I am in Cambridge. But scrolling to Cambridge which I have added manually will display the weather.

With the clock widget that displays weather, it will know I am in Cambridge but wont display any weather, I have to click on it then scroll to the manually added Cambridge.
Or if I remove the clock and then re-add it but select my location as Cambridge rather than selecting current location it displays the weather fine and all the effects. But obviously wont change as I travel because its set at a fixed location.
For some reason the weather app just won't find weather data for a current location.

As I mentioned I have come across the exact problem on the Desire, the Hero and the HD2 (win-mo device).
It's weird, and annoying.

All of the phones are on T-Mobile but I don't see how this could be a network problem.

Upvote 0
This happened on mine and I fixed it last night...
I was checking the weather synch settings and set it to auto update every 3 hours but when i came out and went back into screen it went off.

Fixed it by
Menu (phone not weather)>settings>account & synch>Auto-Synch>tick it
Should have Background data & auto synch turned on.

Weather now works correctly....Still annoys me that manual synch won't work for current location yet it does if you have location set manually but at least it works now.

Upvote 0
With the clock widget that displays weather, it will know I am in Cambridge but wont display any weather, I have to click on it then scroll to the manually added Cambridge.
Or if I remove the clock and then re-add it but select my location as Cambridge rather than selecting current location it displays the weather fine and all the effects. But obviously wont change as I travel because its set at a fixed location.
For some reason the weather app just won't find weather data for a current location.

As I mentioned I have come across the exact problem on the Desire, the Hero and the HD2 (win-mo device).
It's weird, and annoying.

All of the phones are on T-Mobile but I don't see how this could be a network problem.
Mine will find weather for a current location, just not the one I am living in. As soon as I move out of my home location, current location works fine. But my home location shows up fine if added manually - grrrrr

Upvote 0
Right... It turned out Virgin had sent me the phone but with a Pay as You Go contract, this now changed and all is good, I think?! Well I can now get on the web without being on the Wireless network in the house.

But... On the Weather screen the (Current) still shows only the place name and no details. If I refresh it, it tries and comes back with... 'No weather data available'

If I add my location manually it gets the data and displays it fine?

Why, why?

Upvote 0
Right... It turned out Virgin had sent me the phone but with a Pay as You Go contract, this now changed and all is good, I think?! Well I can now get on the web without being on the Wireless network in the house.

But... On the Weather screen the (Current) still shows only the place name and no details. If I refresh it, it tries and comes back with... 'No weather data available'

If I add my location manually it gets the data and displays it fine?

Why, why?

Check these settings -
Menu (phone not weather)>settings>account & synch>Auto-Synch>tick it
Should have Background data & auto synch turned on.

Then in weather app check -
Menu>settings>update automatically>tick

Sorted it for me.

Reactions: t_devil_inc
Upvote 0
I gave up - I removed the widget, then put it back and set Portsmouth as my city as opposed to using Current, and it now "works". Obviously it doesn't change if i go to a different area because it is no longer "Current", but given that most of the time I am in Ports anyway, It'll do because at least I now have the weather icon and animations on my home screen without having to scroll to them. Annoying though, very annoying.

Upvote 0
I gave up - I removed the widget, then put it back and set Portsmouth as my city as opposed to using Current, and it now "works". Obviously it doesn't change if i go to a different area because it is no longer "Current", but given that most of the time I am in Ports anyway, It'll do because at least I now have the weather icon and animations on my home screen without having to scroll to them. Annoying though, very annoying.

How do you remove and reinstall the widget?

Upvote 0
On the main screen with the big digital clock screen widget, just hold it for a couple of seconds and it will suddenly have a big green border round it and you will also now see a REMOVE button at the bottom of your screen (Same as when you remove any app from any screen). Now just keeping your finger on the widget drag it down to the REMOVE button and it disppears.

Once you have done that, simply hit the + which is bottom right, choose widget, and then choose Clock (HTC) - It will now give you the option to scroll right selecting different clock faces, and the one you want is I think the third one. Just follow the prompts for the location and dont choose current, choose your city - If it's not there just add it with the option at the top of the list.

You can try adding the widget on any other screen first if you want to be comfortable that it works. There are lots of other widgets to play with too. My favourite is the Power Control (Android) which gives you a simple bar with 5 buttons that allow you to toggle on or off your Wireless / Bluetooth / GPS / Synch / Brightness - Brightness one has 3 settings that you achive by simply pressing the button - DIM (Great at night for me) / Medium / Bright - Love it.

Regards
Ken................

Upvote 0
Having the same problem described by other posters, but in Reading. Weather widget correctly shows weather when I scroll to the second location (manually added as "Reading") but the first location "Reading (Current)" shows no info available. Same symptoms affect the home screen clock/weather widget -- if set to "My Location" it correctly shows "Reading" but with no weather information; if set to "Reading" it's all fine but doesn't update when I leave town (obviously).

Upvote 0
Similar issue here - it says I'm in "Juniper Green" when I'm in Edinburgh - looking on Google, Juniper Green is just SW of Edinburgh so it must be connecting to a mobile phone mast there but then not obtaining the weather for it :( Anyone come up with any solution that lets you keep the dynamic updating as you move as opposed to having to just fix it in one location?

Upvote 0
On the main screen with the big digital clock screen widget, just hold it for a couple of seconds and it will suddenly have a big green border round it and you will also now see a REMOVE button at the bottom of your screen (Same as when you remove any app from any screen). Now just keeping your finger on the widget drag it down to the REMOVE button and it disppears.

Once you have done that, simply hit the + which is bottom right, choose widget, and then choose Clock (HTC) - It will now give you the option to scroll right selecting different clock faces, and the one you want is I think the third one. Just follow the prompts for the location and dont choose current, choose your city - If it's not there just add it with the option at the top of the list.

You can try adding the widget on any other screen first if you want to be comfortable that it works. There are lots of other widgets to play with too. My favourite is the Power Control (Android) which gives you a simple bar with 5 buttons that allow you to toggle on or off your Wireless / Bluetooth / GPS / Synch / Brightness - Brightness one has 3 settings that you achive by simply pressing the button - DIM (Great at night for me) / Medium / Bright - Love it.

Regards
Ken................

This helpded!! Thank you! :D:D:D

@alanjrobertson and casper_g, you should try the advice from above. That helped me.

Upvote 0
This helpded!! Thank you! :D:D:D

@alanjrobertson and casper_g, you should try the advice from above. That helped me.
Well yes, it fixes the problem in one sense (no pun intended!) and gets weather showing up, but the whole point is that it's meant to be able to give you the weather for your current location, this workaround just fixes it to doing it for the one place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones