well I have the root community to blame

Last Updated:

1. nightelvesreasy

nightelvesreasy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

after debating it over and over for months, I am in the process of rooting my precious driod, kinda leaning twards the Chevy kernal, unless anyone else has a better one, maybe its just be, but i love the look of it from the pics ive seen

Advertisement
  2. droid_freak

droid_freak Well-Known Member

I am running the Chevy ULV 1.2 Ghz on BBV0.2.1 Froyo and its the nest setup I have had.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. nightelvesreasy

is there any way to backup my apps, i have at least 40, and its going to be a pain if i have to redownload them all

4. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Google syncs all of the apps in the Market that you have downloaded (free and paid apps). You will want to download Titanium Backup to save your settings for all of those apps once you have root access.

5. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

I think you've misunderstood the process a little bit...

You choose which ROM you are going to run... and then if you don't care for the kernel options that the ROM comes with... you change the kernel out.

The ROM is the overall OS that may or may not be themed ... and includes or excludes certain apps and utils. It will also already contain a kernel already.

The kernels control many of the things found under the hood of a ROM such as clock speeds, wireless options and other low level processes.

ChevyNo1 has both different ROM's as well as a number of kernels to select from. So you can use his ROM with his kernels... his ROM and some other dev's kernel... or visa versa ... someone else's ROM and run his kernel.

In addition... sometimes its your hardware that must be considered when selecting either a ROM or a kernel. The minor differences seen in the hardware can make or break whether a ROM or kernel works well. Of course, if everything you try all works... then you can pick and choose from them all.

Chevy's stuff is good... so that is as good of a place to start as any. If you do end up having issues... don't let that sour you on Chevy's work... its just how the hardware and software interacts sometimes.

Titanium Backup is great for backing up... but requires that your phone is already rooted so it's not much of a suggestion at this time. Astro can also do backups but isn't as complete as Titanium.... Froyo ROM's will usually reload the applications you have already installed... but they won't replace your private settings/data.

6. nightelvesreasy

yeah i meant ROM, no idea why i typed kernal, maybe just getting ahead of myself

EDIT: downloading BBV0.2 at the moment

7. droid_freak

droid_freak Well-Known Member

Titanium Backup is the best and use the donatation version and its batch processing.

8. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I agree I love titanium backup. Its one of the best apps on my Droid. But currently I'm running the new bugless beast. Its hot. Give it a shot.
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

There a BBV0.3 now...see what happens now that you're rooted? :D

10. nthedon

nthedon New Member

"There a BBV0.3 now...see what happens now that you're rooted? :D"

i just rooted and installed this rom last night and have completely enjoyed the new tweaks to the gmail interface and the threaded call log views.

there has been one bug i think ive noticed and its regarding the sounds (ringtones & notifications) do not play at the normal full volume and is ultimately harder to hear. have any of you come across this as well?