Well, is it really worth rooting the Eris?

Last Updated:

1. mannyramirez

mannyramirez Active Member This Topic's Starter

Well Im very dissapointed with Verizon and HTC not wanting to upgrade the Eris to Froyo. I have like 20 apps and I really use them all. I'm under 40 mb of storage and would benefit if I could use the sd card for storage.

I read that it voids the warranty.

From other forums I've read that rooting the phone gives room to MORE bugs.

My question is: Is really worth it?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Yes. I would look at it this way... Your unhappy with your phone as it is now, right?

So you really have nothing to loose by rooting.

3. Kaessa

Kaessa Well-Known Member

1000x yes. I went from hating my Eris and wanting to throw it across the room, to absolutely loving it.

Currently running KaosFroyo v35-1, and no way I'd go back.

4. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

Yes it is worth it. Warranty isn't really an issue, since you can flash it back to stock if needed. Rooting itself is easy, installing custom roms does require some tinkering. The result though is 100% worth it though. The lag is reduced and the added Froyo features are nice.

5. kgansor

kgansor Member

I want to root my phone, maybe tomorrow.. I have no idea what im doing so id probably use that rooting for dummies, it seemed easy enough... so we'll see.

im sick of my battery being completely dead within a few hours of being off the charger. and the lag issue

6. reinert012

reinert012 Well-Known Member

100000000000000000xs worth it! Root now..do it!

Seriously, do it.

7. mannyramirez

mannyramirez Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks to all the responses.
    I'll read on how to do it. and I'll let you all know.

Thanks again.

8. prj

prj Well-Known Member

yes. do it

9. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

I'd recomend the one click root method and check out these threads.

Universal 1 Click Eris Root App Apk - No PCs, No Scripts Needed, EASY - xda-developers

How to backup or recover via Nandroid - XDA-Developers

[READ FIRST] Eris Roll-up Thread - xda-developers

1. one click root
    2. titanium backup
    3. sms backup.( restoring from titanium screwed stuff up for me, I use sms backup and restore)
    4. copy custom ROM(s) to sd card
    5. boot to recovery (hold both phone buttons after turning off)
    6. do a Nandroid backup
    7. do a full wipe
    8. install custom ROM
    9. Restore apps and sms
    10. enjoy

mannyramirez likes this.
  10. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

Rooting was the best thing I ever did to my Eris. It's much smoother and faster now.

11. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

I was apprehensive to root at first but eventually took the plunge. I've never been happier and when my upgrade date comes I don't even know if I'll want to run out and get a new phone. My eris can do everything I need and want it to do. I'd suggest doing it if you're unhappy with it, you have nothing to lose really. Good luck

12. Kaessa

Kaessa Well-Known Member

I've actually changed my requirements for a phone when I get a new one: Number one priority is that it MUST be rootable, or I won't buy it.

mannyramirez likes this.
  13. Crunchbot

Crunchbot Member

i'll agree. Root it. It was very easy to do once I read everything. I spent a year with the stock eris and was very happy to tell people how terrible Android was as an OS. Then I rooted and realized that it was just sense UI on the Eris that I disliked, or whatever it was that was making my phone incredibly slow. Now I love my eris and its smoothness and reliability.

14. jps

jps Well-Known Member

^ this

15. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Most definitely. I even put xtrSense on my sister's Eris and her boyfriend's because they loved how mine had no problems.

16. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello Manny.

For about 90% of Eris users, there is an adage that seems to fit well: "Good Eris non-rooted = Good Eris rooted - Bad Eris non-rooted = Bad Eris rooted," which is a modification of "Good Eris on 1.5 = Good Eris on 2.1 OTA," etc. ;)

The other 10% fall into the catagories of "rooting cured my (fill in the blank) bug! Yay," and "rooting ruined my Eris and now I have the (fill in the blank) bug! Boo." :D

Also, there is an un-root regimen which can be followed if the rooted device does not suit your fancy for whatever reasons:

http://androidforums.com/474953-post1.html

I rooted a perfectly good Eris and ended up with a perfectly good rooted Eris, which I still am grieving at the loss of, having upgraded to a perfectly good Galaxy S Fascinate. :)

mannyramirez likes this.
  17. Alleycat

Alleycat Well-Known Member

Just wireless tether and Apps2SD are worth the risk of rooting.

And if you have a problem that requires a warranty return or insurance claim, you can unroot using Verizon's official RUU to unroot

mannyramirez likes this.
  18. keeferb

keeferb Member

I was on the fence about rooting/flashing for a while, and finally took the plunge yesterday using the 'dummies' step-by-step instructions. I'm not really that tech savvy, and even I thought it was easy. I flashed to xtrSENSE 4.2 and immediately noticed the performance improvement. I can definitely see where flashing to all these different ROMS could get addicting. The great thing is that if you do have any problems and/or questions, the support in this forum is fantastic and will almost certainly be able to resolve any issues you have.

WineJones likes this.
  19. frostbyte32

frostbyte32 Member

Do it! I am not he greatest with technology and was intimidated by wanting to root it, but it was insanely simple. I'm not sure if I'm benefiting 100% from rooting it, but still it is awesome.

20. ggangi

ggangi Well-Known Member

I would have to say that I have been so happy since rooting my phone.

Here is another little incentive. My wife and I both have the Eris.
    Mine is rooted. Hers is not.
    We wanted to test the battery life of both phones.
    We charged them both to 100% and took them off the charger at about the same time.
    Appx. 2 hours in and she is at 85% and I am at 98%.
    All she has done was a few text messages and had a call or 2 go to voice mail.
    I checked my gmail, made a phone call, checked weather for Saturday. Deleted a few emails.

21. Medic005

Medic005 Well-Known Member

Rooting was the best thing that I did on my ERIS, I highly recommend it!

22. BY724

BY724 Well-Known Member

My question is this:

How do we know that the software we're putting on the Eris is safe? And how do we know which software would be best for us?

I was quick to upgrade to 2.1, but have long been hesitant to root. Will I still get NFL mobile?

23. steelersfan

steelersfan Member

YMMV ... the root for me was tough because of a wipe, but it easily extended the life of this phone by 6 months. Wouldn't change the decision one bit and i wonder what took me so long

24. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

I guess it just comes down to trusting the people on this forum that have already done it.
    So manmy people saying it's the best thing to happen to their phone cant be wrong... ;)

25. txeris

txeris Well-Known Member

Using the SD card for storage has its issues. That's why I use xtrROM 4.2 (4.5 has this feature as well). In that ROM, you still store apps internally but the ROM utilizes unused internal space so you have over 150mb from the get go. I've gone from having 40ishmb spare to over 100mb. I love it. And you can still go to apps2sd if you want later.
    Who cares? I was ready to buy an incredible w/o the upgrade because my eris was so slow and restricted storage-wise. ROM cured both of these issues and I don't hate my phone anymore.
    I've found the exact opposite to be true. Get a popular ROM (xtrROM/xtrSense or your choice of Froyo ROM) and you'll be fine.
    Without a doubt for me. Plus, I love 'hacking' my shiz.

mannyramirez likes this.