• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Well, is it really worth rooting the Eris?

I hate to ask the dumb question but is that a root too?

After you root, you can install different roms. That is what they are recommending.
A rom would be kind of like a makeover for your phone:rolleyes:... something like that.
Some are pretty close to stock, and some are very customized.
Once you are rooted, it's very easy to try different roms and find one you like.
Just remember NANDROID backups.

If you dont know what that is, you will soon enough;)

Reactions: mannyramirez
Upvote 0
After you root, you can install different roms. That is what they are recommending.
A rom would be kind of like a makeover for your phone:rolleyes:... something like that.
Some are pretty close to stock, and some are very customized.
Once you are rooted, it's very easy to try different roms and find one you like.
Just remember NANDROID backups.

If you dont know what that is, you will soon enough;)

Ok...Now that I have your attention..(Sorry buddy)

Do I nanadroid the backup when?

Upvote 0
Ok...Now that I have your attention..(Sorry buddy)

Do I nanadroid the backup when?

First root.
A NAndroid backup backups everything... and i mean everything. Your settings, home screen setup. So no matter how bad you screw up your Eris, you can do a NAnd restore and it's like nothing ever happend.

So as soon as you root, you'll want to do a nand backup (power + vol up, or download Quickboot).
Then do a nand backup everytime you make changes.

So you can flash one rom, do a nackup. Flash another, do a backup.
Then, if you wanted to, you can restore different roms depending on your mood.:)

Reactions: mannyramirez
Upvote 0
In the process of rooting now...flashed the KaosFroyo35-1...taking over 30 minutes to reboot, starting to get a little nervous.

If it works as it says, I'll be thrilled I did this, if not...:thinking:

Did you wipe data/factory as well as Dalvik-cache before flashing? If not, wipe those then try it again. This was the mistake I first made when flashing my first rom.

Upvote 0
Well I just did the 1st step. I added the root file to the Eris.
My question is about the titanium back up. Im very confused. Where is it located?

It's an application in the market - search for "titanium backup"

Read this page here, especially the tips and suggestions and first backup piece: Titanium Backup for Android ? Official Site

Also, note that Titanium Backup will not back up until you actually root the phone.

Upvote 0
My last questions,

1- I could not find the button on the keyboard to minimize the keyboard
2- Did i understand correctly that all my apps that were lost can be easily recovered ??? I really dont think so. But I may be wrong.
3- Where do I go to overclock ? I think I may have fell in love with my eris again
4- IS there a topic that helps installing apps to my sd card?

Thanks to each and every one for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones