well just recieved 6th Like New and..

1. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Just to chime in, my headphone jack went bad and my screen lock button broke on my first phone. I wasn't rough, it just went bad. I got my refurb, and the prox sensor doesn't work. I'm the same user, but the phones have different issues. I'm pretty disappointed that my "certified" phone isn't working properly; that seems like poor QC.
  2. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

A lot less than $100 out the door brand new? Sure you can get it without contract, but not brand new under $200 on Ebay. Don't kid yourself. Never the less, I agree that a new phone should be replaced with a new phone. The charging light is indented into the housing of my certified new Droid (first replacement), but the difference between you and I is that I decided to live with mine since functionality otherwise is great.
  3. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

once you get a refurb your screwed. I had 5 refurbs, then verizon let me get a new phone for free.

Trust me, refurbs from moto are horrid.
  4. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

I love how people think "mine is perfect so anyone with problems is either a moron or abusing the system".

Read the forum and you will see how many of us have been through MULTIPLE replacements. Phones do break and defects do occur. Its pretty clear if you read this forum that the quality control on refurbs is beyond horrendous. Think about it, many refurbs were returns which probably had issues...so you are more likely to have problems with refurbs.

I'm on my 5th Droid.....and the previous 4 all had different issues from faulty sensors to defective speakers to units that had obviously been dropped.
  5. Deanie

Deanie Well-Known Member

Ok you all are going to laugh at this one. Last weekend when I was at Verizon service, the guy said I would get a 'new' phone. I said "you mean certified like new...one that was returned, serviced and then sent to me?" He said "no, motorola doesn't fix them, they recycle the parts. You'll get a new one."

I've only had a droid (and smartphone for that mater) since early Feb. I read these forums every day. I was scared to death to be receiving a refurb. And this one does have a couple issues already.
  6. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I haven't had any serious trouble with my Droid, but back when I had a Palm Treo, I can't tell you how many referbs I went through... close to ten if I recall correctly. The problem was just like the OP said: the are defective right out of the box. I would make calls, but couldn't be heard. Or the screen was wonky, or the headphone jack died (which was most common). This experience is well within the realm of possibility.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

It's quite possible that he's being too picky. It's also possible that he has had bad luck and keeps getting phones that are legitimately defective. Why are you going to flame him and assume you know better than him? Have you seen the phones he sent back?
  8. milellie111

milellie111 Well-Known Member

I am getting my 3rd refurb shipped to me. Both had/have quirky proximity sensors, where the phone does random stuff or ends the call while i'm on a call. What is going on? This should be a phone first, ability to make and hold a decent calls!!
  9. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member

my 3g hass been null and void for over 12 hours now.. is there an issue or did i get another dud? same with GPS
  10. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

I am on my first droid since November. Glad I got lucky.
  11. TheGr81

TheGr81 Well-Known Member

Sure, and you would also have to pay twice as much for the phone in the first place
  12. TheGr81

TheGr81 Well-Known Member

My Droid has a loose screen and the bottom left corner actually taps against the body of the phone but since this is the only issue I am having, I don't want to take the chance of trying to exchange it and ending up with something worse.

I am on my second Droid. The first one I had, which I got like 2 days after the Droid was released, would randomly reboot every few minutes and was unusable. The one I have now was brand new since I was within the 30 day window.
  13. jimmerz

jimmerz Member

ok, so I am still experiencing the same issues as I posted earlier. (on my refurbed phone). I called Verizon and spoke to someone in customer service about these issues. I do not have a home phone, so I kind of rely on my phone to work properly at all times, as long as I keep it charged. I was told to do a factory reset, and see if that helps.

I am about to do that, once I research it a little more (will my SD card be erased because I have a ton of pics and videos on it). Anyone have any suggestions or dealing with any of my similar issues?

Thanks.
  14. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

It is quite possible to get a lemon Droid. Same goes for any other phone, or any other piece of electronics.

1st Droid -- Dust under screen, audio from caller on other end would drop out, shoddy usb charging port & 1 other issue I can't recall.
    2nd Droid -- Loud, horrible static on every call. I reboxed and sent that one back to VZ within 30 mins of getting it. Couldn't believe it left the factory that way. That made it quite clear that their 'Certified Like New' process is sloppy at best.
    3rd Droid -- Faint scratch in middle of screen. Other than that, pretty solid. Keeping it since the scratch isn't noticeable during use.
  15. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

Totally agree and I'm still on my first since late Nov. And I have absolutely no problems with them giving out refurbs. I'm also a tinkerer and rooter and I'm fully prepared to accept any consequences as a result.

I'm not saying there aren't people with genuinely bad luck but I don't think they are as common as the ones who are way too picky or who would rather jump to the conclusion their phone is defective without doing a little research or trying other options. I too had a crackly head phone jack till I got a good set of headphones and ear buds, now the crackling is gone. Now of course that may not work for everyone but it's worth a try.
  16. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

I'm on my "first" Droid since early Dec, 09. So is my wife; ya know... -On her "first" Droid.

Listen to yourselves. Even the ones bitching that others are abusing the system because they are on their 5th or 6th one are so used to reading about returns & refurbs, that even YOU guys refer to the Droid you have as "one of several"!
    Let's face it, some of the build quality and components used in this phone really sucks! It's a great phone. I love mine, but then again, mine works really well (so far). But even if you raise the bar of what you consider is reasonable, and remove a certain percentage of returns from the equation simply because you don't deem aesthetics to be important enough to return something (or whatever), you're still left with an overwhelming volume of legitimate complaints from Droid owners. That's an undeniable fact which forum members see every day. What is also starting to look a bit like fact is that maybe Motorola thinks it's trying to re-certify new used Droids like they're BMWs, and is failing miserably at it.
    It may be "just a phone", but it was a really, really expensive phone for most people, and as someone already pointed out, if you pay that kind of money for a technogadget, you kind of assume they have the simple stuff figured out already. At the very least, the Droid should sound crystal clear.
  17. gidget

gidget Well-Known Member

i wouldn't say i'm too picky. unless by picky you mean i'd like my damn phone to work occasionally and for longer than a few months at a stretch? i love my droid...when it works. i am having my FOURTH one shipped this week. this time, my gps was convinced i was in alabama (i'm in dc), and the date thought it was december 1969. not where or when i'd like to be, thanks. couldn't get it to straighten out, had to do a factory reset, then all was fine for a few days until it suddenly couldn't read the sd card anymore. at this point, this sort of thing is almost garden variety droid fail. i've had the touch screen drop out in certain areas on the screen, i've had sudden resets, i guess you'd say i've had extremely bad luck. i havne't had any cosmetic fails on the phone, i don't have loose jacks or wiggly keyboards, the problems i get are crazy internal crap. i don't abuse my phone, i don't abuse my warranty. i'd like to abuse whoever at motorola makes all these frickin' faulty phones. really, i do love the droid. i'd just really like to have one that works. and no, i don't think that's being particularly picky. but thanks for playing.
    deediget likes this.
  18. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

I am going on my 4th droid...every instance has been because a Verizon Employee said to get it replaced...sick of setting up my phone over and over again...
  19. jimmerz

jimmerz Member

I agree! Setting these phones up the way you like takes alot of time and effort. I wish there were a program that could save ALL settings to the SD card then when I swap out my SD card it sets up the phone like it was....

Anyway, I am getting my 3rd HTC Eris Droid shipped out to me this week. I agree with psychokitty and gidget - 2010 this phone should be CRYSTAL CLEAR and it's not being picky to expect the phone to work, I'll say 90% of the time? I only have a cell phone, got rid of the landline and sort of rely on my phone. When this phone works it is a GREAT phone. Let's hope the 3rd one is a charm!
  20. deediget

deediget New Member

I am expecting my fourth one to arrive tomorrow. My original was purchased in March. I used it relentlessly until two weeks ago when the screen went crazy and started flipping from app to app, dialing numbers, sending text messages, posting random crap on facebook, and deleting music. I got a replacement that apparently had issues with the proximity sensor and wouldnt maintain a screen in a phone call (you know - can't "press one for English" or dial an extension). The third one arrived today and will not get even one bar of service. Cannot activate phone at ALL. I took it to the Verizon store and they were like "huh". Certified like new replacement phones mean you're getting someone else's problems in a nice, new-looking case. I am not a happy camper. None of these issues are resulting from use. Am I being picky?
  21. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

You guys getting 5-6 refurbs just aren't bitching enough :)

Yell at whoever you have to and get a new one already.
  22. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

I sadly had to retire my original from launch day droid :( and called in and lo and behold!! The guy goes to send my refurb and pauses and says " it is your lucky day, we are out of all refurbs and will be sending you a new one just like a refurb with no battery etc. but it will be brand new!" So guys get to calling lol and you might get lucky! I also said I was sad to see the VIp program gone after we just got and he said he was sorry and to make it up gave me another 10% percent off the bill for the next six months over my best buy of 25% so 35% off for the next six months! That is how customer service is done people!!
  23. tebower

tebower Well-Known Member

I am currently on my 7th Droid (don't tolerate much in the way of what I consider a flaw), and now I am sad. This one is great, but I have started getting dust under my screen! I am thinking I can just stick it out, because it's not visible in regular indoor viewing. I only see it when I am outside with sunlight. Still, it is a large amount, and is the first one of my 7 to actually get dust. I am worried that Verizon flags people for too many replacements after a while.
  24. kyleonfire

kyleonfire Well-Known Member

When I pay a lot of money for a phone, I expect it to work properly. The people who have six are just trying to get what they paid for, they aren't abusing the system. I'm sick of all these people saying "mine is flawless blah blah, it clearly isn't the phone for you". How could a phone not be for me? I know how to use it, and we know how it works so that's why we're demanding new phones that work to the full potential.

My first had a laundry list of problems and people flamed me basically for listing them. Just received a "like-new" Droid replacement yesterday, and I'm hoping thats as far as I have to go with replacements. It seems to be working well so far.
  25. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

Some people are just plain rude(just like some people like to complain to hear themselves talk and complain)

From reading the comments in this thread and i read them all i don't think it's fair to say "my droid works...and if you have received 3+ replacements for the droid, then you must be doing wrong"

My general opinion is that for some reason, whatever the reason is
    people get offended when you complain as if you are insulting them and their
    specific droid

lol amusing at best.
    I hope i will not have the problems some have faced in this thread.....