Well now I know what verizon says is crap...General

Last Updated:

1. Johndubbya77

Johndubbya77 Active Member

I just did a speed test with my galaxy nexus and my friends iphone... Verizon people tried to tell me that because of my excessive data I am on a slower speed at work. Well i pulled a whomping 0.6 kbp and my friends iphone pulled a 0.65. I think its the signal at my work

2. aysiu

aysiu Well-Known Member

I would agree it's probably your signal at work. And is there really that big a difference between .60 kbps and .65 kbps? I'm sure there's some margin of error and it's almost the same. Was the iPhone also on Verizon?

I think the main thing about the speeds on the Galaxy Nexus is what it's capable of, not what it will always get. If I'm on 4G (LTE) with full bars, speeds are lightning fast. But if I'm on 3G with two bars, it's obviously slower (not slow, but slower).
  3. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Yeah my signal at work is horrific as well. You may still be throttled according to your account, but in this case it is just poor signal, and you aren't hitting the speed threshold that engages the throttling.
  4. Johndubbya77

Well they tried to tell me that they are throttling me but they are not... The iphone was in fact verizon...
  5. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

AntimonyER's answer sounds right:

To make up numbers for an example, if you're getting throttled at 5k/s but the signal will only get you 2k/s then you're not hitting the throttling threshold. To see if you're being throttled, find an area with good signal then run speed test along with your friend. I'm not sure that you can draw conclusions from the data you currently have other than the signal really sucks where you work.
  6. Johndubbya77

Can I say that I think it is crap that they throttle unlimited data users... What good is unlimited data if they fricken throttle you
  7. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

I doubt you're being throttled. A guy at another forum I frequent used over 100 GBs and didn't get throttled. Though Verizon claims to throttle you based on network saturation and bandwidth usage in your area, I have yet to hear of anyone actually being throttled in Verizon.

Pic for proof;

8. CharlzO

CharlzO Well-Known Member

Because I don't feel like typing it all out again, I'll post the link for those interested, and then just toss the highlights:

Network Optimization

Q: Will I be affected by Network Optimization?
    A: Only a small percent of customers will be affected. To be affected, you must be:

* A data customer on an unlimited data plan; and
    * Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
    * Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.

Then, you will only be affected:

*When you are on the 3G network; and
    *When you are connected to a congested cell site.

And just to clarify, even though a lot of people use the term "Throttling", Verizon doesn't term it that way OFFICIALLY. I like to think of it as "part-time throttling" since it's supposed to only be affecting you in certain areas, and might not in others. But it's a term a lot of people use, including CSRs, since more people can relate to what that is, over "data optimization". Just wanted to throw that out for anyone that might read the article and then go "wait, the guy said that Verizon said he was being throttled, but then the article says that it isn't".
    MadManMoon likes this.
  9. yeotaJMU

yeotaJMU Member

how is that even possible
  10. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

the guy was using it as his home internet and running torrents...
  11. jessyinparis

jessyinparis New Member

I just learned several hard truths recently.
    First is, my 2 meg droidx connection is now .02 megs except for really off times like 2-5am. At those times, and yes, sitting at the very same spot, the connection has been comming almost all the way back.
    Sounds like 'network optimization' to me.
    The sad part is, I used 3.2GB two months ago and 2.3GB last month.
    Per the Verizon rep I spoke with today, my speeds will be 'optimized' for the next TWO billing cycles.

But the again, the same dufus told me the 'cap' will be removed if I root?!?!

Has anyone heard such a thing, especially from a Verizon rep??
  12. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Both AT&T and Verizon are doing this, and from what I have read, 2GB is the magic number to hit the top 5% of users. So if you are on a 3G phone, the grandfathered unlimited plan, and use more than 2GB per month, Verizon can throttle you. The reason they are referring to it as Network Optimisization is because they are really only focusing on areas where their CDMA network is inadequate. That's why some people can have massive amounts of data, and Verizon probably doesn't even notice them, since they are in an area where there are no bandwidth issues, while others such as yourself with not a huge amount of data get hit.
  13. jessyinparis

jessyinparis New Member

Actually, the question was more about the Verizon rep saying you can avoid the cap and resulting throttling by rooting the phone... Sounded like a crock of crap to me but that didn't stop me from trying it anyway.
    And no, as the rest of you folk likely already knew, it didn't help a bit...
  14. Blue218

Blue218 Well-Known Member

^ Towards Verizon.......
  15. redraptor

redraptor Well-Known Member

Seems to be the general consensus
  16. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

i love that you guys/gals find these hilarious images that are just hard to find.

good job :)

glad you picked the beast in matt hughes
  17. dhworph

dhworph Well-Known Member

I wonder if they would do 3G throttling on someone with 'excessive' 4G data consumption? I pull quite a bit of data on unlimited --- much much less than 100GB though.

When I first got the phone, 3G seemed faster than my old blackberry (1+Mbps down), but the few times I've tested it recently, it's been slower (<1Mbps down). I'll do some 3G tests before the end of this billing cycle to see where its at... and then test at the beginning of the next billing cycle.

I think I'm in a pretty uncongested area... SoCal region, but small town.
  18. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

You should never be throttled on 4g it is against the block c provisions that verizon agreed to when they purchased their part of the lte spectrum.

The 3g you get in a area with 4g is eHRPD not like 3g only devices which may account for some of the speed differences