• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Well? Should I get one or not?

Folks - newbie here, first postie. Been over on All About Symbian for a while, but have just abut reached the point where I think I have a 'Vote of No Confidence' in my Nokia N97, so looking at potential repalcements.

The big question(s) is / are:

How will the Desire sync with a Mac. Anyone know if an iSync plug in exists yet for the Desire?

Other issues I may have with the Desire are:

Lack of FM Transmitter in the phone
No built in mass storage ( N97 has 32gb )
No physical QWERTY keyboard.

Went into CPW today pricing one up - it has to be handset only / sim free, as I live and work in Saudi, but am back on hols for a couple of weeks, so need to change sim cards when I go back.

Early days yet - but generally a good, solid reliable performer?

Thanks for any info.

Thanks for the reply

Wasn't after an FM radio, but an FM Transmitter - I do have an external one which I can hook up to the car's stereo and play my music on the phone through the car's stereo system. AFAIK it's a hardware issue, so may not be resolved with apps or FW upgrades.

At the moment, I'm d/loading Nokia Maps updater and have to say, for a free app with voice point to point navigation, it's a pretty big one to have to give up.

THe Desire would use Google Maps, does that have free voice navigation?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply

Wasn't after an FM radio, but an FM Transmitter - I do have an external one which I can hook up to the car's stereo and play my music on the phone through the car's stereo system. AFAIK it's a hardware issue, so may not be resolved with apps or FW upgrades.

At the moment, I'm d/loading Nokia Maps updater and have to say, for a free app with voice point to point navigation, it's a pretty big one to have to give up.

THe Desire would use Google Maps, does that have free voice navigation?

From what I know google maps only has voice navigation in the USA currently...

You seem unwilling to leave Nokia, maybe you should try the N900. A work colleague has one and he rants and raves about it. It has an external keyboard and seems to be a good phone for "hackers".

Upvote 0
From what I know google maps only has voice navigation in the USA currently...

You seem unwilling to leave Nokia, maybe you should try the N900. A work colleague has one and he rants and raves about it. It has an external keyboard and seems to be a good phone for "hackers".

Hi - no, not unwilling to leave Nokia, but to give them some credit, the Maps app is getting better and better. It *HAS* taken time to get right, but seems to be going in the right direction.

However, the overall package that is the N97 is , IMHO, disapointing, and I've had since last June, so have lived with it for nine months. I'm after a phone that not only is fun to use, but also has good levels of functionality.

By that - apart from the basic telephone / text features - I mean things like music player, navigation, internet usage, email, camera etc, so just want to make sure I make the 'right decision' with my next phone.

THe N900 still lacks in a couple of departments in my view, eg no MMS just yet.

With the Bluetooth thing, as I have an older car, the stereo unit doesn't have Bluetooth capability, so have to rely upon an FM Transmitter.

Upvote 0
nottmbantam, after Mrs got her Spica I ditched my N96 for a Hero as couldnt wait until the desire landed.

So glad I did, blew the Nokia away. And now I have the desire, that blows the Hero away due to the 1gig processor and Android 2.1.

I did see a N900 and N97, and TBH they are still clunky due to still running the 10 year old symbian platform which is so bloated.

Dont get me wrong, I love Nokia hardware and if they made an Android phone, you know it's be awesome spec and quality. Until last month, I've only had Nokia for my personal phone for the last 14 years!

Upvote 0
Oh, and no phone has an FM transmitter built in.

Sorry - have to correct you there - My N97 has a built in FM Transmitter, I've been using it for nine months! Works brilliantly. The N97 MINI however doesn't have one.

Yes, the day to day use of the N97 *DOES* feel clunky and bit onerous, especially with the resistive screen.Certainly - EVERY review I've read so far of the Desire is just full of praise - does the phone actually have any bad points?

But, the rumour is that Nokia will bring out the N8-00 / N98 in Q3 - 12mp camera, capacitive screen ( not resistive ) , but based on the newest Symbian ^3 platform.

Upvote 0
Oh man, that's exactly the thing I want........do tell, please.

his stereo is just connected through blue tooth. I can do the same thing with my Hero in the car. All you do is create a blue tooth connection with your car stereo (if it's blue tooth capable). It was originaly meant for hands free calls, but as long as your phone supports AD2P, then it will transmitt music through an active bluetooth connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones