Went from 1.5 to OTA? You can still Root! (NOT for leakers)General

Last Updated:

1. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For anyone who's NOT on a LEAKED version of 2.1, you can still Root.

We have verified that the PB00IMG.zip goes through its checking process, and asks to update. It looks very much like the Root PB00IMG.zip IS able to be flashed over any phones that went from 1.5 to OTA 2.1.

So anyone who's holding back on going from 1.5 to OTA 2.1, for fear that they wont' be able to root, let your fears disappear.

Thank you all for your information in my information collection thread.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/78458-attn-leakers-otad-not-1-5-otaers.html

Special thanks to ssgtob1 who bravely tested booting up in HBOOT with the Root PB00IMG.zip on his SD card.

Thank you for your help, and anyone who DIDN'T leak, we STILL have you covered for Root. Go ahead and follow any set of normal directions for 1.5 to root, and you should be all set to Root your phone.

FOR LEAKERS: Some exploits are still being explored. I hope something comes to fruition. You will know as soon as anyone knows. I promise.

Thanks,
    Paul

Advertisement
  2. deathratlehead

deathratlehead Well-Known Member

So basically, if we're having audio bugs and browser crashes on v.3, we should get our phone swapped? I'm a bit concerned about going in there though considering caddy said that they can tell what version of android you're supposed to be running.

This also contradicts what the VZWSupport guys said about us v3 leakers getting the OTA.

3. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Well-Known Member

ok, I realize this is probably a really stupid question, but I keep seeing the word 'root' tossed around. What exactly is this 'root' of which you speak?

4. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Did I miss something. Last time I saw, they can only tell that you are running 2.1 or 1.5. If you go in, they should assume that you got the upgrade and swap your phone (if there is a problem with it).

5. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is true. Just say that you got the OTA update, and that it's been happening since then. That might work until they investigate and see the upgraded HBOOT. They could easily tell if they knew what they were looking for, but they probably wouldn't even look for the most part, unless the boot animation is different between OTA and v3. I bet it's the same.

And for root stuff,

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/45242-rooting-q.html

Hypo Luxa likes this.
  6. ssgtob1

ssgtob1 Well-Known Member

When I get home from work I will go through with the entire root process and let everyone know that it works 100%. I am sure it will. I had to download everything to do the 1.5>OTA manual upgrade and the PB00img.zip using my phone and it used up all my battery......so give me like 6 hours or so......

moutaindewdope likes this.
  7. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

Great news for those that held out...same old for us leakers. :) Good job on finding this, hope it does work 100% when he tests out a full rooting later today.

8. hattrick

hattrick Well-Known Member

Good news if I can ever convince my wife to root.

9. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link pkopalek! completely answered my question!!

10. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

now all i need is the OTA!

11. ssgtob1

just install it manually......

12. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

installing it manually wont erase my apps n shit? i will have to do it after work anyway.

13. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Well-Known Member

can we get a confirmation from someone who has performed the OTA install and re-rooted?

14. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

I'd say that the chances of a VZW tech noticing the different bootloader is slim to none.

15. ssgtob1

I have done the OTA manually.....did not lose any apps.....and I have gone into HBOOT and tried the pb00img.zip.....it recognises it and ask if I want to upgrade.....I just have to wait on a full battery before I can tell it yes to upgrade(dont want to risk anything)

16. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Having the software on a device "rooted" means, over simply, that you have much, much more access to configuration ares than non-rooted devices.

It's a unix/linux term. Root gives you administration privileges, basically.

17. C0L7

C0L7 Member

okay so with all this commotion about root, 1. 5 to OTA, and all those leakers wanting root/OTA ... If I understand this correctly those who update to the 2. 1 OTA can still root with the method already available. so would it be correct to say everyone will be able to root (leakers) after they update to 2. 1 OTA as well? if that's the case then root just opened up to anyone again or am I missing something?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

18. orcsbane13

orcsbane13 Well-Known Member

my trackball just went out on my phone so I got a referb. on the way. here's hoping it's not loaded with a 2.1 leak as well so I can root. :)

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

19. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

If you're having the audio loss bug, yes, you should get your phone swapped. They won't care about your software version now that 2.1 is official.

20. jlrosell

jlrosell Well-Known Member

Im thinking no.
    The reason 1.5 to OTA people can still root is because the OTA file did not contain a new boot loader. Those people stayed on their original boot loader which allows root.
    The people who leaked got a new boot loader in the leak. Since the OTA does not contain a new boot loader, those leakers will remain on the boot loader that came with the leak which prevents them from rooting.
    Correct?

21. homer169

homer169 Well-Known Member

So here's what I'm trying to verify. Can users that already had the 2.1 v3 root, install the 2.1 OTA and still be able to root using the 1.5 root method? If so are there any advantages to doing this?

22. ssgtob1

OK so here is the news so far......I have loaded just the HBOOT from the rooted pb00img.zip and am currently working on installing the recovery image via fastboot as mentioned here: [Tutorial] Wanna Backup Before U Get Root?! Heres How U Can - xda-developers

So far 1.5 to OTA and then rooting afterwards is looking very very good. If I can get the recovery partition in there then I can get a nandroid backup of my phone woth the 2.1OTA and the new HBOOT and this should help the devs out quite a bit.

I'll keep going and keep all of you posted on my progress.

23. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

if i have root now, can i go back to 1.5, update it to 2.1, and then re-root? Or just wait for a proper 2.1 rom?

24. auxiliary

auxiliary New Member

i just downgraded my phone from 2.1 root to 1.5 stock (even hboot) and then successfully updated using the instructions above. worked like a charm. i used the downgrade instructions found at thefuzz4.net

25. jaykap

jaykap Well-Known Member

I think maybe someone should create a video and post it on YouTube on how to root the Eris after installing the 2.1 OTA. I have been doing lots of reading here in many threads and watched many a YouTube video but I'm still confused.

Once the OTA is rooted, can someone provide detailed instructions and all necessary links or files needed?