• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Went To An Apple Store Today...And I Was Ready To Burst Into Flames...

kblanco

Feb 2, 2015
So had to go into work for a few hours because of End of Month. Where I work there's an Apple Store within walking distance and as I had to kill some time afterwards I thought I might go look at the IPhone 7. Let me just say that at even 9:30 - 10:00 in the morning that store was packed. They had so many folks waiting for help and others looking that it was standing room only and you could just barely squeeze in.

I can appreciate being able to drop in for some quick help, really wish we had a Google or Android Store as those folks waiting for assistance I'm sure can attest to the value in getting know-how from an experienced employee. I've dropped in myself once or twice with my father (my brother pays for his device and service or else I would've taken him Android). But let me just say, the IPhone 7 ain't nothing special. Looked at the features it has and thought to myself that Android's had many of them for years already. Also all the IPhones looked identical as Apple uses the same launcher on every phone and won't let you change a thing really other than your wallpaper. I mean how customizable is Android, particularly if you're using a really-really good launcher like Nova or Action?

But it felt weird being in the Apple store. Like I was waiting to be singled out as an Android user and then shunned or ready to burst into flames or something. My Moto G4 is just as good a device and upwards of $500.00 cheaper.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Motorola / Lenovo doesn't seem to generate quite the same reality distortion field as Apple does. The G4 isn't "magical" and it isn't washed in unicorn tears.

No it may not be Mike, but consider that I saved in the neighborhood of several hundred dollars, and I can personalize the heck out of it making it unique compared to other Android users - to say nothing of all the identical IPhone users - I'm okay without the unicorns...

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I don't really understand it either - the Apple store in the one mall that I go to every so often is so busy that they have had to put up one of those rope maze style ques outside the store. So not only do you have to wait to get in, you have to wait *outside* of the store in a little maze before being graciously admitted into their store - it's ridiculous. The thing that I don't really understand is that people aren't generally buying anything there, they are either taking a class or trying to get their stuff fixed. If Apple products are so easy and innovative to use, I'm not really sure why one should have to go to their store for lessons on how to use it. Also, if they are such high quality products as people like to imply they are, why are so many people getting them fixed all the time?

I've had an Apple iPhone in the past (and had no issues with it) and still have an older iMac that my daughter uses (no issues), but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to get another one of their products again as they don't do anything particularly better or worse than the Androids or PC computers I've owned. I just don't understand the fascination and obsessive culture their owners have with their products.

Upvote 0
Today, I was with a friend for about 6 hours....
he has an iPhone6 and told me several times "I hate this sunnabitchin thing" as he was punching the "answer" button 13 times trying to get it to answer a call.... the caller hung up, and he had to call them back. that happened twice, the 2nd time when I called him and he did not answer my call, despite him having just texted me.... so I know it was still in his hands.

his company "rents it" for $10/month on a contract. he has to carry insurance for about half that or more/month. and he said the last time he lost one, it cost him $400 by the time he got all the apps "fixed" and his contacts back, and replaced the case on it... ???

In his opinion, he would be better off to just buy a cheap phone outright and be done with the monthly fees.

Reactions: badcatz
Upvote 0
I'm another one who doesn't "get it". I know a lot of people that worship at the altar of Steve Jobs. I've always seen Jobs as a televangelist selling a belief system and I just never bought into it. I've owned a few Apple PCs and was not impressed. I ended up back with Windows. Even though I used Windows Phone for a while and thought highly of it I really like where Android is right now and I am very happy with both my Maxx 2 and my Nexus 5X.

Upvote 0
In our shopping mall, there is a large Apple store and a much smaller Samsung store. The Apple store is always busy, especially after a new product launch. Lots of people buyng stuff. The Samsung store usually has 4 employees standing around and the customers are usually half that number.

I use both products. Nexus 5 phone and Samsung 7 " tablet which i carry all the time. We use an iPad 3 at home, and an original ipod hooked up to my car stereo (9 year old device still works!). Even though our iPad is very old, i find it easier to use; most websites look better on an iPad. And up to a few weeks ago, our old iPad was still getting updates (pretty good for a four year old device). I can't say the same for my Samsung tablet. I have only owned Nexus 5 for one year. I would only recommend Nexus to friends if they want to buy Android.

Upvote 0
In our shopping mall, there is a large Apple store and a much smaller Samsung store. The Apple store is always busy, especially after a new product launch. Lots of people buyng stuff. The Samsung store usually has 4 employees standing around and the customers are usually half that number.

I use both products. Nexus 5 phone and Samsung 7 " tablet which i carry all the time. We use an iPad 3 at home, and an original ipod hooked up to my car stereo (9 year old device still works!). Even though our iPad is very old, i find it easier to use; most websites look better on an iPad. And up to a few weeks ago, our old iPad was still getting updates (pretty good for a four year old device). I can't say the same for my Samsung tablet. I have only owned Nexus 5 for one year. I would only recommend Nexus to friends if they want to buy Android.

We had an older iPad that worked fine for what it was, but again, I wouldn't go out of my way to get one again. The one thing that I will say for Apple products is that at least you can find stuff for them. If you need a case, keyboard, or whatever, you're sure to find it in just about any store that sells those types of accessories (even cheap dollar stores). I can't say that for other products on the market, but I won't use that as the only deciding factor for buying something.

Reactions: badcatz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones