Went to Bed owning a Fascinate, woke up to buy a Droid X

Last Updated:

1. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so the title says it all! I've had the Fascinate for a few weeks, and I must say I love the device, it's one of the best Android Devices out there right now! However there is one BIG problem, the signal strength is terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE! So when it's getting a good signal it's Awesome, when it's not it's pretty much useless! It got so bad last night, that It almost ended up getting thrown out of my window. I would always notice I was only catching 2 bars at the most the last couple of days, but I wasnt too worried about it, until I wasnt able to makle any calls yesterday afternoon, or last night for about an hr, then again this morning while in an area that has great coverage for the most part. It wasnt just mine, one of my workers has been having the same issues with hers since she got it last week. So no matter how good it looks and feels it still has to be able to preform as a phone and pick up a good signal. So moving forward, I payed a vist to Best Buy this morning and returned my dearly loved Fascinate, and picked up Big Daddy....The Droid X!

Having used an EVO for the last couple of months, the size of the phone feels pretty good in the hand, and I must say preformance running on 2.2 since this morning has been Fantastic...And I'm happy to say I've had 3G with 4 bars for pretty much the whole day....Which would explain the very good performance of the phone so far..Call quality is very good, and everything so far is very snappy. The one thing I miss is the Fascinates screen, and how deep and vibrante all the colors were. But what good is that when you cant make a call, send a text, or get on the web? Either way I'm pretty happy so far, and will most likely rock the X until something of equal size from either Moto or HTC comes out with a Super LCD or Super Amoled, and a faster Processer.

Advertisement
  2. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

I also went from the Fascinate, picked up on release day, to an X. My decision to return the Fascinate was pretty much based on the reception as well. Couldn't be happier with my decision. :)

My wife loves her Fascinate though. :cool: But she had an Eris before the Fascinate and that was the worst thing ever for reception, so the reception on the Fascinate is a big improvement in that regard.

3. TheAlmightyDrew

TheAlmightyDrew Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat but I still have the Fascinate. I am trying to decide between the Incredible and the X.

4. sean76

Yea it seems alot of us were getting the same issues. Either way, im pretty happy so far. Hopefully the battery will be as good or better then the Fascinate. As for the incredible, I been down that road, the device is really good, except its a little to small for me, and the battery life was straight terrible.

5. dhoffman1421

dhoffman1421 Well-Known Member

The buggy GPS would have been the tipping point for me. Otherwise I was intrigued. But I am loving the DX.

6. FragDroidX

FragDroidX Well-Known Member

Well well well, look how fast things change. :D

And let me correct you on one thing, the screen you will miss didn't have deep and vibrant colors, it had inaccurate and grossly oversaturated colors. ;)

7. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

HTC devices don't have very good reception, so if you live/work in an area with weak signal, stay away from the Inc.

8. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

Maybe to your eye... To mine the SF screen was gorgeous... I changed from the SF to the X because I wanted the bigger screen... I came from the EVO and was just stuck on the 4.3 screen I guess...

I loved the SF in the few days I had it, and IMHO the SF screen blows the X away....

BUT.... I wanted the extra real estate so it's the price I was willing to pay.... The X is very nice though...

9. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Welcome sean!

10. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

All I will say is I learned a few years ago some things about phones and reception I didnt know. I promised myself I will never make that mistake again.

Reception is my #1 requirement. Me working in a bad reception area helps me know if the phone has a good antenna or not. It can be a great phone everywhere else but if it cant function good as a phone, its no good to me.

U might as well get a Mobile Internet Device....

11. wxman2003

wxman2003 Well-Known Member

Good reception is one thing moto has been known for over the years. Add bloatware to that too. lol The x is a great phone first, and a really good smartphone second, and a average camera third.

12. sean76

Thank You....so far so good!

13. sean76

Im not going to go back and fourth with you, im pretty schooled in the phone game, and I learned a while ago that its different strokes for different folks....your comments kind of sound boyish and fanboyish! The screen on the Fascinate is awesome, case closed! But like someone said...it's all about reception, not how pretty the screen is! You have your opinion , I have mine....in the end, its all Android!

14. JSD_NJ

JSD_NJ Well-Known Member

Fascinates screen is nice, but I hated all the neon blue menu text.

15. Phone Gnome

Phone Gnome Well-Known Member

When deciding on phones it ended up being between the X and the (not released at the time) Fascinate. The Amoled screen and better graphics chip held real appeal.
    However the fact that Verizon's version looked like Iphone was off-putting and it didn't have the style of the AT&T one that I would've preferred.
    Now that I've gotten a chance to own the X and play with the Fascinate I'm thankful for the impatience played in my decision.

Aside from the GPS issue it's not that the Fascinate is a bad device, rather it just lacks the solid feel of the X. The only thing I am a bit envious of is the cracked bootloader.
    What I'm not envious of is its Amoled screen which displays colors so inaccurate they bleed into each other. If you don't believe me then go to a Verizon store DL 'Screen Test' on both and compare.

16. rehpyc

rehpyc Well-Known Member

Some like the rather vibrant colors of the screen, others like colors that look more natural.

(from another thread)
    It did everything but what a phone's primary purpose is.. to be able to make phone calls. It also has now seemed to go from being THE BEST ANDROID PHONE EVERRRRR to just one of the best ;p

Don't worry, I'm just busting your chops. Btw, battery life SHOULD be better on your X compared to the Fascinate. Perhaps not by too much, but it should be nonetheless.

17. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

I agree, fanboyishness gets rather trite after a while. No harm in supporting the phone of your choice, but it kills me that some people take it a step further and have to trash every single other choice on the market like everything else is total junk and their phone is the only thing worth spending money on. Think of Android as your favorite basketball team... ok now the particular Android you own, let's say that is your favorite player on the team, no harm in that. But give the other guys on the team a little credit as well, maybe they aren't quite as good all around as your favorite player, but one might shoot the 3 at a higher percentage. Another might be the go-to-guy for free throws. And yet another might be the defensive player of the year.

Get it?

Man this is a great day and age to live in as far as cell phones goes. It's hard to go wrong with quite a few of the choices on the market. Even if I were in high school right now and my parents bought me an iPhone, that would still kick the shit out of what I had in high school... a cordless landline and a Commodor 64! Oh yeah, todays kids have it made.

It comes off as being insecure about your choice in phones when people feel like they have to trash someone else who acknowledges that they liked something about another brand.... "oh the Incredible is made out of plastic, I stopped playing with plastic toys when I graduated from kindergarden, my X is made out of metal, real men prefer metal".... you know, that kind of hogwash. You know what, if Moto did some sort of update (I know this wouldn't be possible, but just suspend logic here for a second) that turned our screens into SuperAmoled screens I bet less than 1% of the people on this board would rush out and sell it off on ebay and get something else. Most would probably jump on here and rave about the improved graphics and make fun of all the other LCD phones on the market. If for no other reason, because it's a Motorola X.

Which isn't to say that I don't belive anyone who says they actually do prefer the X screen over the Fascinate and the rest of Samsungs Galaxy series phones... but come on, why knock a guy who says he likes this or that about another phone, no matter what it is he likes about it. So his opinion differs from yours, get over it. I'm secure enough in my choice of phones that it wouldn't bother me if nobody else liked it. Why get worked up about it? I'm happy with my screen, I'm happy with the reception it gets, I'm thrilled about having a Wifi Hotspot device that I can access for free. I'm very happy with the case, I've dropped this thing on the floor a half dozen times already and it's held up superbly, still looks brand new! I'm not happy about the bootloader being locked down tighter than a Norad missile installation. And I wasn't happy with the performance with my stock battery when I first purchased the phone.

Over all though, I think it's an incredible device. But if I had chosen a different phone over this one I bet the world around me wouldn't have ended or anything drastic like that. It's just a phone after all.

18. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Well-Known Member

Most impressive regarding the X are these points and are the reasons why I decided on the DX.

Call quality, reception, screen size, battery life and build quality. You can argue the X vs the fAsCiNaTe until the cows come home. But IMO those 5 items listed above are what make the X the better choice.

19. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

XFactor, you are absolutely fAsCiNaTeD with bashing the Fascinate. Why you feel compelled to alternate caps when typing it like a 1990's wanna-be hacker, I am not sure.

Why don't you just be happy with the device you own? I occasionally peruse the Fascinate forum because I think it's an interesting device and you spend half your time in there riling those guys up.

20. andross77

andross77 Well-Known Member

Just a quick note on the Droid X's reception: lately it has been TERRIBLE at my office! I have a trouble ticket in but VZW said no towers are down. My guess is they lost a roaming agreement on a nearby tower. So basically i'm screwed at work.

I was thinking maybe my phone crapped out but this past weekend I went to a conference downtown Chicago and INSIDE the building i checked my signal...wait for it....wait for it....

-48 DB !!!!!!!

SNAP! The Droid X has an amazing antenna! I can still make a call at work when it is at -120 it just breaks up and has a chance of cutting. But anyways on my original droid the lowest i got was -63 or so and i thought that was amazing.

-48 i thought i might be straddling a tower but since i have no idea what they look like or where to locate them i didn't check if there was one hanging from the window of where i was.

TLDR: Droid X has the best antenna and reception of any of the 40+ phones i've ever owned and equally amazing call quality. And with the extended battery i last 24 hours with extremely heavy use or 2-3 days with mild use. It is the measuring stick i will use against all future android phones!

21. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member

Curious, how long does the Droix X's battery last on average? I use my Fascinate quite a bit and I'm getting a little bummed by how quickly it runs out of juice. I'm still within my 1 month exchange period so I could swap it if I wanted to, although I doubt I will.

22. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Well-Known Member

With average use for me, 30 to 40 texts a day, e-mail and a few phone calls, the friend stream going on LP updating every 5 min and listening to some music and using GPS while I jog at lunch, oh and average internet browsing I usually have 40% left at the end of the day. My GPS tracker at lunch kills me, when I check after I get back it has been over 50% of my use for the day in just 45 minutes.

Hope this helps, it works great for what I need and I have no worry on a heavy day that I will run out of juice.

23. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member

I send alot fewer texts but I "fiddle" with my Fascinate alot and by the time 5:00 rolls around I'm down around 15-25% battery life it seems.

24. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I fiddle with the DX frequently throughout the day and at night. I have the extended battery (about a 25% increase in battery capacity), which adds virtually no size to the DX. I frequently go to bed with ~30% or more left, and that's unplugging it at 7am, and plugging it back in around 11:00pm or so.

I send virtually no texts and infrequently talk on it, but a lot of music/bluetooth streaming/web browsing/social networking feeds.

25. karma2burn

karma2burn Well-Known Member

I have to tell you, I'm pretty much blown away by the battery on mine. I don't use mine most of the day while I'm at work and the battery will be around 90% after 9 hours off a charger. Even with moderate to heavy use I'm still going to bed with around 50%.