• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

We're screwed. 2GB is the threshold for so called "network optimization/throttling"

Except Verizon offers bigger plans, they just cost more. Tiered data may not have cost more for most people now, but Verizon knew what they were doing. Just like how data plans became mandatory $30 per month surcharges, eventually the higher tiers will become the mandatory levels for superphones.

I still think manadtory data is horse dung.

Upvote 0
Except Verizon offers bigger plans, they just cost more. Tiered data may not have cost more for most people now, but Verizon knew what they were doing. Just like how data plans became mandatory $30 per month surcharges, eventually the higher tiers will become the mandatory levels for superphones.

I am still on an unlimited plan. If you want to not be throttled then you have the option of going to a tiered plan since they do not throttle those plans. The current pricing system will not work as data use rises IMO. You can make an arguement that cell phone data is still in it's infancy as it becomes evident that the average person uses data and the average use goes up the phone companies will have to fight how much they have to charge to break even and what it costs to keep customers. If AT&T starts to offer a 3GB plan for $30 VZW will need to follow suit or lose customers. Over time the cost per GB should go down just like the cost of SMS, MMS, and mins have gone down.

Upvote 0
I am still on an unlimited plan. If you want to not be throttled then you have the option of going to a tiered plan since they do not throttle those plans. The current pricing system will not work as data use rises IMO. You can make an arguement that cell phone data is still in it's infancy as it becomes evident that the average person uses data and the average use goes up the phone companies will have to fight how much they have to charge to break even and what it costs to keep customers. If AT&T starts to offer a 3GB plan for $30 VZW will need to follow suit or lose customers. Over time the cost per GB should go down just like the cost of SMS, MMS, and mins have gone down.

Lol break even? The carriers are pulling massive profits from data plans.. the only reason vzw posted a loss is the massive LTE rollout, and the CEOs salary. SMS costs have actually risen over the years, while it costs them nothing to send. They are moving to tiered data because the writing is on the wall, with high bandwidth and good latency, who needs voice/sms service??

Upvote 0
Yes break even. Right now they are getting massive profits from data but the price for them will rise and as consumers use more monthy they will not be willing to pay $50+ for 3GB with VZW if AT&T starts offering 3GB for $30. The carriers will still make a profit but also must remain in competition with each other.

I remember when there was no such thing as unlimited texts plans and if you went over your allotment or didn't have a plan it could cost you anywhere from 10

Upvote 0
Yes break even. Right now they are getting massive profits from data but the price for them will rise and as consumers use more monthy they will not be willing to pay $50+ for 3GB with VZW if AT&T starts offering 3GB for $30. The carriers will still make a profit but also must remain in competition with each other.

I remember when there was no such thing as unlimited texts plans and if you went over your allotment or didn't have a plan it could cost you anywhere from 10

Upvote 0
Its already shifted towards VOIP/Instant messages. When I'm at home I don't use Sprint signal at all. And if the consumer is going to be charged by the GB, I firmly believe they should be regulated like gas pumps and other utilities. They are using public spectrum, public land for their towers, and receive all too many grants funded with public taxpayer money to build out these networks.

Even at $15/GB I think most users would save money if they could get a pure data plan compared to having to have the voice/text/data plan. For 2 lines I pay about $150 a month and between the two lines I am sure it would be less. This would also be helped if you could use everything over wifi.

Regulation would be fought against by both sides the larger carriers wouldn't want it because it could potentially hurt their profits while the smaller carriers wouldn't want it because their networks are either being leased or not as built up so why would someone choose to stay with the smaller carrier when they could get better coverage at the same price?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones