• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wet Eris, Now in pieces what should I look for?

Ndnkcgw

Lurker
Jul 31, 2010
Hi, I got my Eris wet about a week ago, I let it sit rice for a day and then tried using it. The orange charge light came on but it never turned on. I tried another battery with no luck. I am not on contract and I bought my phone on ebay so there is no insurance.

Anyway, I figured what the hell and decided to take it apart and wipe down everything with alcohol. Nothing looks fried but I am letting it sit in rice for a while longer.

Does anyone know a)What I should be looking for as far as water damage with it open; b) if there is a way to buy a cpu for cheap and rebuild it? Any other hints/ guidance would be awesome. I had this phone for a week before it got wet. I loved it especially since my old phone was a clamshell from the late '90s.

Thanks!:)

Screen damage is one thing to look for. However, if the system board is fried, there really won't be any visual indication of it. You just have to hope for the best.

If its fried, your pretty much out of luck. Buying a replacement board (if you could find one) would probably be as much as buying another phone on eBay, so it would be pointless. Cell phone chipsets are far too intricate to make on your own, unless you are some sort of electrical and computer engineer and have small fingers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones