Wet IncredibleSupport

Last Updated:

1. xFlawless11x

xFlawless11x Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So background story: At a phillies game today (yankees fan tho) and as we were about to leave it started to pour, as in hurricane wind and rain. We ended soaked to the bone. I had moved my incredible inside my backpack to avoid it getting wet but that didnt work out to well.

It had soaked through and all into my backpack. The phone was on when it started raining and off when I took it out of my bag. So I took it apart, back off, battery out, sd card out. Let it side in the back seat as we drove home.

Currently I have it sitting on the table still apart and haven't attempted to turn it on yet.

Couple questions to those who might know the answers:

First, I do have a warranty for this so I can request a replacement but I have a ton of paid apps on the phone already and I'm not sure how I would get those back without having to pay twice?

Second, My DInc is rooted and has clockwork recovery...in the event that it refuses to ever turn on again would this become a problem after I returned it to the insurance company?

Third, Any ideas on how to dry out a phone and bring it back to life? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Cheers,
    Flawless

Advertisement
  2. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

The only thing I can tell you is that if you get a new phone, you will be able to download your paid apps for free once you activate your phone - it remembers you - they will say 'Purchased'.

Good luck bud.

3. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

Put the phone in a zip loc baggie full of rice, leave sit for a day. Change out the rice the next day and repeat for 3-5 days. The rice should absorb all the moisture and as long as you don't turn it on while still wet the electronics won't have shorted and burned out.

4. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

If its still wet at all toss it in a bag of rice.. The rice sucks out moisture.

5. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

Damn Goat beat me =( But ya good luck

6. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

If you can find so silica gel granules they will suck the water out of it in no time.

7. maikinmoves

maikinmoves Active Member

If it is still wet, pour the highest proof rubbing alcohol over it first, to help clean any and all debre and other micron sized particles like calcium out of the phone for their deposit can create a short or corrosion in the phone even after it is completely dry, the alcohol should also replace all the water in the phone and therefore dry a lot quicker too.

8. Randino

Randino Well-Known Member

If Dinc is rooted, warranty is voided. If you get caught that is.

9. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Water damage isn't covered under warranty, either :(

Check the little sensor pads on the phone, below the camera, and on the edge of the battery. If they still have the lines, you're ok. If they're gone or the pad is solid red, by by warranty.

10. xFlawless11x

So bit of an update, did the rice trick, thanks to all of you. Worked perfect no moisture in screen and the phone turned on fine. Plugged it in to start charging and messing with it to make sure everything worked.

First, thing I noticed and it ended up being the only problem I had was that the power/unlock button doesn't seem to work. So the only way I can get for the unlock screen to show up is if i plug it in / unplug it.

Second, I mis-typed in my original post. I didn't me warranty, I actually have the issuance on the phone through asurion*sp. (And btw yes both the sticker on the phone and battery are red/pink showing proof of water damage) I was looking through the claims process online and got to the point where it allowed me to select my phone and obviously because the incredible is in such high demand it's backorded. So it says they'll contact me when it's available, but judging by the online ship date for a new incredible is 7/23 I believe I'm a bit out of luck.

It's not unusable, I just dont know of another way to activate the screen other then the power button. Any ideas?

11. maikinmoves

maikinmoves Active Member

if the problem is the button is sticking down then there is probably small pieces of dirt stuck in the so just take a thick piece of paper like an index card or a photo and take the back cover off the phone and slide the corner of the paper between the button and try to scrape the dirt out from all around the button. Use the button a couple times and repeat.

12. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

How were you able to turn on the phone if the button doesn't work?

13. xFlawless11x

It auto turns on when I insert the battery. The only way to get it in and out of lock is to plug it in and out of the charger.

14. Randino

take it apart and figure it out, you have nothing to lose at this point, phone doesn't work, warranty is voided, insurance is voided, I would go ahead and try anything.

15. xFlawless11x

Actually insurance isn't voided. Seeing as water damage is covered and I can un-root and flash release day software back onto it. I called today and will have a new one by monday. I appreciate all the assistance you all gave me though!

16. Randino

awesome, congratulations

17. guannaberry

guannaberry New Member

ugh, mine fell into a pool yesterday. no clue about the rice thing so i left it out in the sun for an hour to dry out. my friend put the battery back in and said he saw a flash (short circuited???). i took the battery out and put it near a fan overnight, still not working. i just got the phone 2 weeks ago and its short in stock. would they replace it if i have insurance? or would i have to pay extra