• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

We've upgraded to XenForo! Help us iron out the bugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, hopefully edit button is fixed for @badblue1 and others.

edit: p.s. thanks for the screenshots. Once we realized it was mobile only you were having trouble with it became a quick hunt.
(Previously) recognized theme developer @volimte21 mentioned in her thread she regained editing capabilities too. Whatever you are doing is helping many members. Thanks.

Reactions: badblue1
Upvote 0
Two questions: Will we ever again have the option to *delete* our post, not just edit? (I tried to delete one of my duplicates...no luck.)
This functionality has been sufficiently abused by trolls to taunt and delete that I don't think it will be reenabled. That's my $0.02.

And can you add an option link, maybe at the bottom, to choose the full desktop site? I've looked everywhere from my android, running chrome, and even checking the option to request the desktop site yields no joy. If that can't be accomplished I'll probably just stop coming here on either of my smartphones, it's just too painful and time-consuming to navigate. And frustrating, too. ;)
There is only a single skin that automatically optimizes for your screen resolution as far as I can tell. There is not a difference between mobile and desktop. If you zoom in the site on your desktop to roughly 500% you will see the mobile site really big on a laptop screen. I think this is part of HTML5.

Upvote 0
Ok, hopefully edit button is fixed for @badblue1 and others.

edit: p.s. thanks for the screenshots. Once we realized it was mobile only you were having trouble with it became a quick hunt.

Well, i hate to be the bearer of bad news .... so, i won't be ;) proud to report that i now have a little toolbox with some goodies inside (an edit button and report)!!!!!yay ;) Thanks for all the work you put in boss!

Now if i can get an editor, we're golden!

EDIT :and it works too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This functionality has been sufficiently abused by trolls to taunt and delete that I don't think it will be reenabled. That's my $0.02.

There is only a single skin that automatically optimizes for your screen resolution as far as I can tell. There is not a difference between mobile and desktop. If you zoom in the site on your desktop to roughly 500% you will see the mobile site really big on a laptop screen. I think this is part of HTML5.

You can also just size down your browser :) Narrow it.

Well, i hate to be the bearer of bad news .... so, i won't be ;) proud to report that i now have a little toolbox with some goodies inside (an edit button and report)!!!!!yay ;) Thanks for all the work you put in boss!

Now if i can get an editor, we're golden!

EDIT :and it works too!

You don't have an editor? I've tested as you and you should.

Upvote 0
No editor, no way to post links, or change text to bold or colors, no smilies. Just a box, underneath is post reply, upload a file, which only takes me to quickpic to upload screenshots and a box says more options, which only allows to preview.

Attachments

• screenshot-20141124-104657pm.png
    screenshot-20141124-104657pm.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0
View attachment 77587 I have a bug. It may be my Windows OS that I am using, but it didn't do it before. Whenever I am in the forums and I click a topic ex, Android Applications, as I scroll down all the different threads, If I place my mouse over one, a pop up preview box comes up with the preview, but it never goes away and covers up all the threads above it making it impossible to read any threads underneath. I usually come here while I am at work and of course our IT department keeps everything unsafe locked away with no access, but they are always behind the curve on OS. We currently use IE 8. So as I float around work areas, all with their own Pc’s, they all use the same thing and I get the same preview overlap that won’t go away. Is it because the new forum is no longer backwards compatible to old IE 8 or is it a bug that everyone is experiencing? Is this the right place to report bugs? If not, please move it. Thanks

Anyone ?

Upvote 0
And can you add an option link, maybe at the bottom, to choose the full desktop site? I've looked everywhere from my android, running chrome, and even checking the option to request the desktop site yields no joy. If that can't be accomplished I'll probably just stop coming here on either of my smartphones, it's just too painful and time-consuming to navigate. And frustrating, too. ;)

The interim answer is convoluted, and I apologize in advance.

Google has set guidelines that we have to care about to be listed properly in searches. We need that as we always have, to attract new members to a forum of trust and friendliness.

The new guidelines whack sites that respond to the user agent string for desktop or mobile.

The auto scaler is what they like and it's built in to Xenforo.

Phandroid, our Neverstill news site and how we came to be, has been using the single site, scaling approach for some time.

Xenforo has that built in - very appealing and the future of the Web.

Back to vBulletin - desktop view was pretty great. Did you ever try the mobile theme from the bottom left selection? It was a holy mess - looked like a teletype on drugs. So it wasn't nearly perfect either.

And there's the problem with one way, separate views - they aren't maintained equally for quality.

I'm with you - and Phases and I have gone long rounds on this - I prefer the desktop view.

But for that to truly work, you need zoom-able text flow in your browser. Android browsers use Google's mobile branch of the WebKit engine to handle display features like that. Google removed that feature over a year ago. I use Dolphin for that, they've custom coded zoom-able text flow to get around that.

And going that way makes us browser-specific instead of browser-independent as we need.

So the answer may be selectable themes courtesy of Xenforo plug-ins - they only have a zillion of them.

I can't predict the future decisions by the powers that be, but I think it's good to never say never.

Right now, we have to nail down and perfect the features you need on the theme we have.

In the meantime - I have grown to use an app + my mobile browsers to get around, as neither alone is satisfying for me.

Give that a try - our app really doesn't suck and combines well with a browser.

Check out "Forums for Android™"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.androidforumscom

Upvote 0
No editor, no way to post links, or change text to bold or colors, no smilies. Just a box, underneath is post reply, upload a file, which only takes me to quickpic to upload screenshots and a box says more options, which only allows to preview.

Oops I was assuming desktop again, you have it there. Something with that mobile browser. I toggled your rich editor, hope that helps..

.... etc...

@Dpadre, unfortunately I'm here to tell ya this site will not perform well on lower versions of IE. I don't expect this to change soon. As things calm down we may assign a designer to pulling up IE 8 and trying to find and fix some things but.. sadly this will be the case for many sites going forward, I think.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Call it what you may, but I see a *completely different* view when I log in from a pc (still a chrome browser). And what I see when I log in from the Windows smartphone (ie) is the same as the android, they are both different than a conventional desktop display.

If you see the same thing when you log in from a pc and from a smartphone, then you must have your Harry Potter wand. ;)
And yet I typed such a cromulent reply to you. :eek: :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones