• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root whaaat? voda phone dials the emergency services now!

davo26

Android Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2011
im on vodafone. im trying to ring them to see if i qualify for a new battery as mines always been pretty rubbish. not holding out much hope, but thats another story :)

anyway...... voda cust care is 191 'from a vodafone phone'. just tried ringing it and the rom flashed up 'emergency call' and a red flashing light. just a snazzy rom graphic i thought. but NO!!! i was put through to emergency services!!

i can only assume that now im rooted, my phone isnt a voda phone any more, and id have to pay to contact them?? but i didnt even know 191 was an emergency number! (and i work in emergency services too :)

anyone any idea whats happened there? if my phone was unbranded, which i think it was, how would it get put through to voda when dialling 191 before then?

and will i have to pay to get in touch now, using an 0870 number as though im not a customer?

weird :-/

thanks

im on vodafone. im trying to ring them to see if i qualify for a new battery as mines always been pretty rubbish. not holding out much hope, but thats another story :)

anyway...... voda cust care is 191 'from a vodafone phone'. just tried ringing it and the rom flashed up 'emergency call' and a red flashing light. just a snazzy rom graphic i thought. but NO!!! i was put through to emergency services!!

i can only assume that now im rooted, my phone isnt a voda phone any more, and id have to pay to contact them?? but i didnt even know 191 was an emergency number! (and i work in emergency services too :)

anyone any idea whats happened there? if my phone was unbranded, which i think it was, how would it get put through to voda when dialling 191 before then?

and will i have to pay to get in touch now, using an 0870 number as though im not a customer?

weird :-/

thanks

191 and 999 are both Emergency numbers, i found out my accident too.
Maybe it is because you aint branded no more that it now calls the Emergency line, i assume it didnt before

Upvote 0
sorry to bring up an old thread but this has happened to me now, ive flash a custom 2.3.3 rom and updated radio to 32.56.00.32u_5.17.05.23. i now get put through to emergancy services instead of customer services, This is since changing my rom and radio. Ive been on other custom roms before and this has not been a problem. Is there a file in the rom or something that deals with numbers like this?

EDIT
ok i think i found the problem in the build.prop ro.ril.oem.ecclist file which tells the phone what numbers are emergancy numbers. it had 191 listed so diverted it to emergancy number.

now changed it to 999, 112 and 191 works fine

Reactions: Tyseyh and SUroot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones