What about Linux?

Last Updated:

1. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm new to android, and not so new to linux. I came here from windows about 2 years ago and now I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu. I'd still consider myself a Linux newb but it is now the only OS I use.

I understand that Linux has a tiny market share and all but why isn't this phone more Linux friendly? Why can't I sync my contacts and calendar with any Linux software? I have a gmail account but do I really want to rely on the internet for everything?

Finally can any fellow Linux users recommend anything that will make this phone more useful to me, or direct me to threads that will? I'd appreciate any linux specific tips... apps, or anything on either side of the USB cable.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. nRRe

nRRe Well-Known Member

can't help =(

i to just started using Linux, but i'm using Linux Mint, which is based off ubuntu

i just came over about a week ago though, ha. still learning command line.

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Android isn't known for syncing to any desktop OS - it's mobile centric, it's Google centric - it wants to sync (mostly) via the net (gmail/contact/calendar).

That said - given that I've no clue of your current favorite Linux methods - maybe the following will give you some decent ideas, if for nothing else then as web search starting points -

Picasa 3 for Linux: Free download from Google

HandBrake

Banshee

TuxMobil: Linux and vCards

Hopefully, this isn't too obtuse a post.

4. nRRe

nRRe Well-Known Member

on the contrary, i find it rather acute :D

EarlyMon likes this.