What am i limited to with no data plan?

Last Updated:

1. EEYYAN

EEYYAN New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm new here , and i'd like to start off with a thread asking how limited am i with no data plan and just using wi-fi am i still allowed to use MSN Messenger?/Windows Live Messenger , download apps racing games and that stuff.
    Im soon going to be getting a HTC Desire off telus

Advertisement
  2. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

Wi-Fi is nothing to do with your phone contract and data plan. If you have your own wi-fi at home, you can connect to it with your phone and use as much as you want. It won't affect your contract. However you will be using data from your broadband plan. Though these are usually 10-15GB a month or more, so your phone won't make any meaningful impact on that.

3. anm00727

anm00727 Member

you can do everything. but things involving data (weather, internet, etcetc) can only be done with wifi.

4. bendi

bendi Member

yup you can only go online when there is wifi hotspot nearby. you can't go online as and when you like it.

5. DMXXX

DMXXX Well-Known Member

Usually with no data plan you can still use mobile internet, but it just costs A LOT. Or at least that's how it works round here.

6. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

You may want to disable mobile data completely and only enable it when absolutely necessary.

Still, Android really works best with access to mobile data, if you can find a plan with even 100MB of data, it would be a big advantage.

7. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

+1 for this.

If your network provider has data available but a data plan is not included in your talk plan then using data will usually cost a lot. You can use wi-fi for free when in range of a router or hotspot, but I agree with the other posts to disable Mobile Internet on your phone to avoid additional data charges.

It's worth checking with your provider how much the data would cost too.