• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What amazed you about your Droid and made you say 'Wow!'?

5280Man

Aug 16, 2010
I've had my Droid X for about two months now and I must say I keep finding functions and apps that still Wow me. Some things I learn off the commercials, some here on phandroid and some I find by just playing with it and learning all that it can do. For example, the voice function on the homescreen that opens google maps and starts the navigation as well as a google search for whatever you want. I was quite impressed when the girlfriend said that she couldn't find the phone number to a restaurant we wanted to go to. I hit the function on the home screen and voice searched for the restaurant. It brought up the website and phone number with an option to call the restaurant. Wow! My first experience that Wow'ed me was when I got the phone and it asked me if I wanted to link to Facebook. I opted for it and Bam! The phone was integrated with Facebook. I was like 'Whoa, this thing is too connected!' Loving it though!

I had another exprience where I have a car deck that is make for ipods. It has a USB port for the ipod to connect to. I decided to hook up the droid to it. Bam! The deck found it and played the music. I know it's because the droid can be a mass USB storage, but still it's quite impressive that whatever I connect the droid to it does what is needed to connect and work. Droid does!

Here's my most recent experience that just floored me. Let me set up the situation: I have a home network where I have my laptop connected to a wireless router along with a printer that is wired to the same router. The router has been having some issues lately and I haven't been able to print to the printer through it. I have had to connect my laptop directly to the printer to even get it to print. And even then it has been a total nightmare. Moving the printer from a network to a local printer can be a pain. Anyway, I was wanting to print to the printer from my DX. I know of a few apps that can do this. But of course my thoughts are what a pain it most likely will be due to the issues I have been having with the router and the printer. Most likely I will have to set up the printer on the network again before I can get it to work. I read some reviews about one of the apps, it was saying that the app is great and sets up the printer automatically. Riiiiight........... I hook up the printer to the router and turn it on. I load the app and turn on wifi on the phone. I then open the app, it connects, sees the printer, sets it up and is ready to print. Again, Riiight......... I go to my pics, choose a pic and hit print. I then go upstairs to my spare bedroom where the printer is and viola!! There's the pic in the printer tray!! That's when I step back and go 'Whoaaa!! Droid does!!' I was very impressed with how seemless it was.

This is what had prompted me to write this book and ask others, What has your droid done that made you step back and go 'Whoa, this thing is amazing!' I sometimes get giddy over it!

The voice navigation:
I shoot pool on a team and we travel to different bars sometimes to bars I've never been to. All I have to do is tell it the name of the bar and it finds the correct location every time.

Speech to text:
Being able to speak out a text message while driving, is really convenient and cool.

Apps:
Launcher pro putting my homescreen in landscape without having the keyboard out and giving me easy access to 30 apps using the dock instead of cluttering up my homescreen with icons.

Beautiful widgets. I love the unlock animations, it shows the current weather conditions when you unlock the screen (clouds, rain, snow, etc).

Handcent. You can assign tones, icons, and background images per contact.

Upvote 0
I've had my Droid X for about two months now and I must say I keep finding functions and apps that still Wow me. Some things I learn off the commercials, some here on phandroid and some I find by just playing with it and learning all that it can do. For example, the voice function on the homescreen that opens google maps and starts the navigation as well as a google search for whatever you want. I was quite impressed when the girlfriend said that she couldn't find the phone number to a restaurant we wanted to go to. I hit the function on the home screen and voice searched for the restaurant. It brought up the website and phone number with an option to call the restaurant. Wow! My first experience that Wow'ed me was when I got the phone and it asked me if I wanted to link to Facebook. I opted for it and Bam! The phone was integrated with Facebook. I was like 'Whoa, this thing is too connected!' Loving it though!

I had another exprience where I have a car deck that is make for ipods. It has a USB port for the ipod to connect to. I decided to hook up the droid to it. Bam! The deck found it and played the music. I know it's because the droid can be a mass USB storage, but still it's quite impressive that whatever I connect the droid to it does what is needed to connect and work. Droid does!

Here's my most recent experience that just floored me. Let me set up the situation: I have a home network where I have my laptop connected to a wireless router along with a printer that is wired to the same router. The router has been having some issues lately and I haven't been able to print to the printer through it. I have had to connect my laptop directly to the printer to even get it to print. And even then it has been a total nightmare. Moving the printer from a network to a local printer can be a pain. Anyway, I was wanting to print to the printer from my DX. I know of a few apps that can do this. But of course my thoughts are what a pain it most likely will be due to the issues I have been having with the router and the printer. Most likely I will have to set up the printer on the network again before I can get it to work. I read some reviews about one of the apps, it was saying that the app is great and sets up the printer automatically. Riiiiight........... I hook up the printer to the router and turn it on. I load the app and turn on wifi on the phone. I then open the app, it connects, sees the printer, sets it up and is ready to print. Again, Riiight......... I go to my pics, choose a pic and hit print. I then go upstairs to my spare bedroom where the printer is and viola!! There's the pic in the printer tray!! That's when I step back and go 'Whoaaa!! Droid does!!' I was very impressed with how seemless it was.

This is what had prompted me to write this book and ask others, What has your droid done that made you step back and go 'Whoa, this thing is amazing!' I sometimes get giddy over it!

Nice stories. Enjoy stuff like this when folks have something positive to share about their phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones