What app is trying to use data?

Last Updated:

1. buggaby

buggaby Member This Topic's Starter

I'm on a Roger's plan with no data. If I try to use data, I get a text message asking me to purchase a data plan. I get this message usually once per day around 2am (but sometimes several times during the day). Something on my phone is trying to use data, but I don't know what it is.

It's connected via wifi, but I still get these messages. The only programs I show running (via the "Running Services" app) are MailService, Yahoo Push Message, Touch Input, and ObexService. "Data roaming" is turned off. I'm running Android 2.1 on an HTC Magic.

Any clarity is welcome! Thanks

Advertisement
  2. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Can you still download market apps? I don't see why not if you can connect to wifi. Go download an app called Spare Parts. Open the app and go to "Batter history", then click the drop down at the very top and select "Network usage". Click the second drop down and select something like "Total since boot" (assuming you didn't just turn on your phone). You will see a list of processes that have used data in order of most usage.

3. buggaby

Sweet. Good suggestion.

So, I get a list of "Sensors" that are using the network. Once I tap the name, I'm given info on that process. There are 3 processes that I don't know. They are called simply "0", "1010" and "1013". If I tap one of them, it force closes battery history. Any idea as to what those are?

4. akazabam

Don't quote me on this; I could be dead wrong, but I *think* 1013, at least, has something to do with wifi. Try this. Turn off wifi, plug your phone in, unplug your phone, leave it for a while (I'd say a few hours), then check spare parts again, but use "since last unplugged (or whatever it says) in the second drop down. That will ensure that nothing related to wifi shows up under network usage.

5. No_u

No_u Well-Known Member

Hold the power button and select Mobile Data Traffic Off. This disables any data traffic your phone tries to use. WiFi still works fine even if this is disabled.

There is probably either a widget or those programs you listed using the connection.

6. akazabam

Yes, that's probably a good idea, especially as a more permanent solution. I still recommend trying to figure out what is using data, especially if you aren't expecting anything to use data. Do you have auto-sync turned on, by the way? That's the most obvious culprit.

7. buggaby

No, auto sync is not turned on. It would be nice to know exactly what's using data because I'll be getting a data plan soon and I don't want to pay for something I don't need. I'm waiting because I'm moving shortly.

I don't think 1013 is wifi, because I've been using it today and there is no 1013 on the list for today. There is a 1014, though, which could be it. I'm not sure of these codes. They are all small quantities, but it's nice to know what's going on under the hood.

8. euqiddis

euqiddis Member

i have a similar problem, when ever i unlock my phone, the data connection automatically turns on, and i've no idea how/why or what app is doing it grrrrrrrrrrrrr.