• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What Apps are connecting to the internet and how much data have they transferred?

vantiveman

Jan 25, 2010
I am a new HTC Magic (Vodafone) user and have downloaded a number of useful Apps from the market. Since I work away from the UK (and have roaming disabled) and I have a Wi-Fi at home, I do not have a data pack included in my contract. However, I have found that a great App I downloaded - NetCounter - is reporting cell traffic that is going to end up costing me a lot of money. So I have a few questions.
1) How do I switch between running applications, so I can see what's running?
2) How do I prevent certain Apps from starting whenever I power on the phone?
3) How do I see what Apps are connecting to the internet(ignoring the WiFi) and creating unwanted cell traffic.
4) Is there something I can disable so that I can use the phone normally, but prevent it from connecting to the internet unless I am back home and using the WiFi connection.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I know I could just de-install apps but it would take ages to find out which was responsible and I don't want to just de-install them all.

Cheers,
Al.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply. I have a task manager app, so I know I can Kill apps, but still don't know which app is connecting to the internet when I have not asked it to. I would like to find out which app is responsible. I know it isn't voice calls, but a data connection that is being made. I just want to stop it, but don't know which one it is.

Al.

Upvote 0
I don't know if there is such an app that manages each app's connection to data. However, there is an app called APNDroid that manages your data connection. It will cut off your phone from using data through the APN settings. More like a switch on and off. You can still use wifi.
Just be careful, if you remove APNDroid while it is turned on (i.e. stopping your phone from using your carrier's data), you'll also remove the APN settings of your phone. If so, you'll have to manually input the APN settings.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I downloaded APNDroid and it works great! I also grabbed 3G Watcher as well so that I can monitor usage.
I can't see usage by app, but it's as good as I can expect, so I'm happy now :)
By the way, when I checked my APN settings there was nothing set up, so I assumed that nothing would connect anyway!

Thanks again,

Al.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones