What apps can we remove?

Last Updated:

1. smacky

smacky Banned This Topic's Starter

Using Ti Backup, what are some of the bloatware apps we can safely uninstall?

EDIT: Apps that are safe to remove (so far):

Amazon MP3
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Email
    Visual Voicemail
    Google Goggles
    News and Weather Widget
    Home Screen Tips

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

if you have the paid version, have you selected stock app - like Amazon MP3 - long pressed and seen that you can delete or "freeze" it? I think the only way to know is to try each stock app - long press - and see what options it gives.

3. muab

muab Well-Known Member

I have the paid version of Titanium. I enabled the "Chuck Norris Mode" and tried to remove Amazon without success....

Would love to get rid of it.

Nothing personal against Amazon or anything....

4. smacky

Yeah I know how to delete them, but there are some that have been suggested you not remove. Like visual voicemail. What are some others?

5. Lock-N-Load

I used the free version of Ti to delete Amazon MP3, so not sure where the error is for you?

6. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I generally delete the following upon install of a new rom

Amazon mp3
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Email
    Visual Voicemail
    Google Goggles
    News and Weather Widget (The apk is called something like genie)

There may be more but thats all I can think off the top of my head

smacky likes this.
  7. Lock-N-Load

I wonder about that Home Screen Tips?

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

9. Lock-N-Load

thanks.. it has been removed. so in the end, I have removed:

Amazon.mp3
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Home Screen Tips

10. smacky

Awesome, guys. Thanks for the input. Took out Twatter, VVM, and Goggles. And the News and Weather thing. It said it could not find the apk for Facebook and Amazon. Weird.

Hope this thing runs even faster now. I should probably update my first post with the list of safe to remove apps.

11. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I just figured out why (in my case) I was unable to delete the Amazon app. I had the updates installed, and was given the error stating that Titanium was unable to find the apk file when I attempted to delete it. On a hunch I removed the updates, and tried again, and this time it worked. I hope this helps others who weren't able to delete it yet.

12. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

Why not just freeze them instead of deleting?

13. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Unlikes lot of the newer phones released this year, our Droids don't have much internal space to begin with. Couple that with the fact thats lot of these unwanted apps will run in the background (though as you mentioned it's possible to freeze them), and you have good cause to remove them.

14. Lock-N-Load

you could freeze them, if you have paid version of Titanium, or just delete them with free titanium. And I presume others make Titanium or MyBackUp Pro backups like I do, so I could always get them back.. but so unlikely as I never have and never will use them.

15. RyanB

RyanB Guest

And as far as I know, they're available to download from the Barney as well.

16. smacky

If you need the paid version of Ti Backup, let me know.

I'm running it and I'm not freezing anything. Just deleting. Why would you want to freeze it if you know it is safe to remove it?

17. runLoganrun

runLoganrun Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remove all above, plus IM.apk, if on rom, CarDock.apk, and GoogleGoggles, with no apparent issue. I use Handcent for text.

Now, I just removed DeskClock.apk, is fine now, wondering what might be attached to it, don't think it has anything to do with time keeping on phone or other apps. I have Better Alarm Pro which I use for an alarm clock.

What I'm currently wondering about are the accessibility apps: talkback.apk, kickback.apk, and soundback.apk? It wouldn't seem that I need them, but am not sure that there aren't other apps dependent on them. Anyone know the answer to that?

Then there's googlevoice, which I believe is just their voip app, don't think I'll use that one either.

Any others, give a shout.

And any feedback on these appreciated,

rlr

18. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

unless you are really in need of space in /system (no clue why you would) there really is no need to go removing tons of stuff unless its things that show up in your app drawer and annoy you. Getting overzealous with removing stuff from /system is just going to result in things not working most of the time.

19. runLoganrun

Sometimes, but if careful can improve phone performance, plus I just don't want extra apps, possibly running services, on my phone that I don't use.

20. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Agreed. I don't see the harm in removing superfluous and pesky apps like Verizon's visual voicemail. In hard pressed to see that add integral to the system.

21. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I wasnt referring to bloat like visual voicemail, twitter, facebook and the other obvious apps sorry that I did not make that more clear.. But I dont see the point in removing stuff beyond the obvious personally. I stripped my system as bare as possible before (even got rid of the phone) and I didnt notice any real performance increase at all. Apps all ran the same, screen transitions were the same....

22. gwwjpd

gwwjpd Well-Known Member

CorpCal
    Talk
    Facebook
    Protips
    VVMStub (Verizon's Visual Voicemail)
    com.amazon.mp3

23. runLoganrun

Interesting! That's pretty much what I've wanted to figure out, how much that would help things (or not), going beyond the standard bloatware, which def helps.
    Thanks!
    Rlr

24. smacky

Maybe intangibles for the OS? I dunno. It couldn't hurt removing them, assuming they are safe to do so.

If I update the list in the first post, shall we sticky this?

25. runLoganrun

I would like to keep this thread going, so want to add more information, and hopefully obtain some.

My experience has been that going from standard bloatware removal, like mentioned above, and taking it farther increased phone speed noticeably. I removed all above mentioned stuff, and then after a backup, removed live wallpaper & lwp picker, and then all accessibility options, kickback.apk, soundback.apk, and talkback.apk, from simply stunning 4.8, plus some other apps. I was concerned about accessibility, someone had mentioned not to remove those, but I'm curious so had to find out for myself.... It's only been about a week now testing it, but it certainly didn't do any major breaking of phone, everything works, and quicker than stock SS 4.8, the only thing i haven't tried is mms text, like with voice, I broke that once before, but I had removed mms, thinking handcent covered it. Time will tell, but it seems very solid to me, and runs very smooth, very happy with this rom in general, and slimmed down even better.

rlr