1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

What apps do I actually need to keep my phone safe?

Last Updated:

1. Zerg

Zerg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Personal info, Personal photos, viruses, stolen phone, ect... What apps if any do I need to keep me safe? The simpler the better.

Advertisement
  2. othgar

othgar Well-Known Member

Lookout Mobile Security is free. It has a feature to help you locate a lost phone (if the phone is on), virus scan, auto backup online (2 gigs free storage).

aardys likes this.
  3. mauiblue

mauiblue Well-Known Member

I use Lookout because it's free and doesn't affect performance much. Some forum members antivirus apps are useless as android's OS is Linux based. If your phone is insured by Asurion, they have a free app called Mobile Recovery that will locate your phone, remotely sound an alarm on your phone, lock your phone, and wipe your phone contacts. Works pretty good as I just tried it out recently. There is also another app called Where's My Droid that works similiarly. I've seen apps on the Market that will also secure your photo gallery and data with a PIN.

4. Sticks

Sticks Well-Known Member

As far as protecting your personal info on the phone, the best and easiest way is to not put it on the phone. Don't use the phone web browser to log into sensitive areas like banking or anywhere you have a credit card number for purchases (PayPal).

Smart phones are a handy tool but be smart about how you use it.

Until a long term company like McAffe or Norton gets involved with virus protection for Android OS, I would not trust any other app to "Protect" my phone from virus, Trojans, or data miners. Ways to hack into programs come out as fast as new apps do.

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

You can put a PIN or some other locking mechanism on your phone natively. If you run 2.2, there's an app called Autowipe that will toast your phone and your SD card (if you choose) if someone enters the wrong access code X number of times. I've tested it and it leaves my phone a completely useless brick. It's very effective.

6. aardys

aardys Well-Known Member

i just downloaded this , very cool , many thanks :)

7. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

It's all about what apps you install, and don't download apps from alternative sites (especially pirated ones) as people can inject stealth spyware into them. If you find a copy of Swype, Smart Keyboard or SetCPU and such without buying them, you're taking a risk. Antivirus in general isn't needed, but Lookout is nice for the alternative backup and location while it scans apps that get installed (not sure if they actually scan the content and integrity of apk packages).

8. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

Linux based has nothing to do with Viruses. Viruses are very possible on Android, but more importantly Lookout protect from other "malware" too like apps that steal your phonebook.

9. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

You can use Lookout as it seems to be a good solution to keep phones safe, however I have not personally ever needed such an application as you should just be careful about what you download.