1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

What apps require to be running in the backround for notifications?

Last Updated:

1. tjberte

tjberte New Member This Topic's Starter

Apr 2, 2010
    So, I'm just switching from the iPhone and I am getting used to how the Droid pushes out it's notifications. The iPhone obviously didn't have apps running in the background and it completely relied on push notifications.

I am trying to figure out what programs I can kill in Advanced Task Killer that won't block from notifications coming in. Is there any way to tell?

One example is Twidroid. Does it require to be running the background for notifications? It worked for the first couple of days, now I get NO notifications.

I'm also noticing apps closing without me killing them. Depending on the app, do some kill themselves after so long?

My main question though, as I said is: What types of apps require to be running in the background for notifications?

2. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

You are no longer using an iPhone. Stop using any task killer and let the operating system do the work for you. hint it knows what to do.
  3. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2009

4. enserio

enserio Member

Mar 7, 2010
    SO, while those 6 apps that are running are not going to kill my battery faster than say, 2 apps running?
  5. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

You would think so but most time the app that is really killing the battery is the task killer app itself. Currently my Hero tells me 40+ apps are running (most using little or no ram) , it's been unplugged for 24 hours and still has 40% of it's battery left.

Most new android used go through the "killer" phase, when they grow out of it the phone actually works better.