• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What apps should everyone have on their New Android Phone??

exprox

Mar 7, 2014
Hi guys i just bought my very first android phone last week before this i was still using N97 till now and im still very amaze by it and wanted to ask you guys what apps do i need on my phone or think everyone should have?

Apps such as Facebook,Tweeter,Instagram,Whatapps

Whatelse?Please list them out in detail!:D

It also depends on what your interests are, because one person's essential is another's junk. To illustrate, not only do I have none of the apps you list on my phone, but the two of them which were installed when I got it were the first things I removed. I do however have 4 calendar apps (and a couple more calendar-related) and several web browsers (none of them the pre-installed ones), so you'd probably think I'm mad :D

But I'll bite with just a couple of suggestions:

* TeslaLED as a flashlight app
* PowerAmp as a music app
* RealCalc as a calculator
* And Zooper if you want to customise your homescreens (also Nova, Apex or one of the many other launchers if tweaking your homescreens interests you).

Upvote 0
Hi exprox. I'm sure you realize what you are asking is highly subjective. So with that in mind, here's my list.

Vital:
- Swype = Must have keyboard replacement
- Graffiti Pro = Keyboard enabling “Graffiti” handwriting on the screen. I am a former “Palm” organizer user and find this keyboard extremely useful for casual text input. I use Graffiti most of the time but switch to Swype when entering long notes.
- Pimlical Advanced Calendar for Android. = I rely on my device for my schedule, memos, todo and contacts. This Calendar app is my favorite. I does everything I need and more. I also bought and use the matching PC application Pimlical for Windows. The two are synchronized over a cable or Wi-Fi which bypasses the web. It takes some time to learn the two as they are full of features.
- MyBackup Pro = good backup program
- Documents to Go = good MS Office app. There are many out there equal, so try a few.
- CoPilot Live Premium USA = GPS app with turn by turn off line navigation.
- CamScanner = Snap a photo of a document just like a scanner.
- ES File Explorer = excellent free file explorer.

I obviously use my phone as a serious organizer and for business. I also have several other apps for fun and entertainment. For instance PowerAmp (music player), ProCapture (Camera app), ESPN Radio (I'm a sports nut), and several others. Scan the Playstore and filter the “Best of” and you may find apps you might like.

Also search these forums for past opinions of any apps you are interested in. This is a great place to get help.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0
Allcast - Like Samsung's Allshare but better
AdAway - Blocks Ads, what's not too like?
Beautiful Widgets - Pretty clocks and weather
Dolphin Browser - Best browser
Dolphin Jetpack
Adobe Flash - Flash!
ES File Explorer - Best file browser and great for network browsing
BBC iPlayer - For UK ppl
MX Player Pro - Best video player (with dts plugin)
Power Toggles - Useful toggles including flashlight, widget and notification
Flipboard - You must know what this is?
tTorrent Pro - Best torrent app
SuperSU - Root!!!!
Nova Launcher - Best launcher
Titanium Backup Pro - Best app for backups

Upvote 0
Dropbox
Hangouts
Twitter
Feedly
Vimeo

These are the apps I use on a daily basis.

Some other ones that are camera related for work, like the GoPro app.
And, if you pay for parking meters way too much, and your town has it, Passport Parking app (pay and check your time limit from phone).
Nova Prime is a must have for me.

Upvote 0
Nova Prime - simple and customizeable homescreen launcher.

Swipepad gesture launcher. Seriously powerful. There are other similar gesture launchers. Get to your important apps with one gesture (usually beginning at side of screen) starting from anywhere. Seriously, much easier than going back to homescreen or fishing through recents whenever the app you want to switch to is one of these favorites... and you can put a ton of favorites in there.

Droid48. The most powerful/accessible programmable numerical tool on your phone I'd say. OK, I'm an engineer.

Free off-line navigation apps. Navfree and Mapfactor Navigator.

Gtasks (coordinated with Google Tasks) helps me keep my life organized. Jot down a note or something to do onto one of your task lists from either phone or pc. Edit or close it or reclassify it from phone or pc. Set alarms. Create scrollable widgets of a list. Create scrollable widget by due date of all items in all lists. Don't have to be on-line to use it (it syncs when you go back on-line).

Google Keep. I use for ony one thing. When driving I hit the mic icon to speak a note. It keeps both the recording and the speed to text transcription. Later I go through and refile the note into Google tasks, adding category and reminder and fixing any mis-transcription of the initial STT.... that's where the recording comes in handy. On a few occasions with background noise, you can't even remember what it is this garbled transcription was trying to say.. go back and listen to the recording.

Google Now. Speak all kinds of voice commands.

Simple checkbook. Autopopulates date with easy editing. Provides list of recent check descriptions. Enter each new amount as a deposit or withdrawal and total is adjusted. Simple table form. Organized, free. Can temporarily "void" an item to see how it changes the total (handy for balancing). Can add a note.

+1 for file explorer. Not only good for managing your files but a wealth of interconnectivity options for cloud and for wifi to pc.

Tasker. Make your phone do whatever you want it to do. You'll have to google that one.. I can't describe it.

Upvote 0
None of them! How about a dialler to allow you to do that old fashioned activity with a phone called 'phoning someone' ... :D

Dave

Funny story: Last week I redesigned my desktop - today, I had to call my TV service provider. I'd forgotten to put the Dialer shortcut on my desktop! That's how little I use this tool as a phone. :facepalm: D'oh!

Give me text, vid chat or email any day.

Upvote 0
These are usually among the first apps I install when starting from scratch on a phone.

Boat Browser - Internet
Handcent SMS - Text
Apex Pro - Launcher
QuickPic - Gallery app
Touch Calender - Calender with pinch zoom and continuous scroll
PocketCasts - podcast app
ES File Explorer - ...for exploring files
TeslaLED Flashlight - for when it's dark
Flipboard - News aggregation app
Tapatalk - message board app
Poweramp - music player
Timely - alarm clock
Swype - preferred keyboard
Titanium Backup
Screeble - keeps your phone awake while in use
SwipePad - quick app launcher that runs on top of the default launcher
Zooper - custom widgets

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones