What apps should I stay away from?

1. CmHall9

CmHall9 Member

From time to time I hear about apps I should not download or I need to remove from my Droid.

What apps have

Advertisement
  2. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

OP, can you list some examples that you've heard of?
  3. CmHall9

CmHall9 Member

I do not talk to too many people about apps so whenever I have a problem I'll stop by Verizon. Over time I've had a few employees tell me not to use...
    Zedge
    Flashlight
    Scanner Radio
    Task Killer (as well as other any type of killer or cleaner).

What I'm curious about is what other people say, what apps should everyone stay away from?
  4. RyanB

that's interesting, as I've been using Zedge for years without trouble. Task killers, while controversial, are generally a bad idea as they'll gain you nothing after a few seconds of use, and burn more battery as the kernel refills the now empty RAM.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

There are a lot of flashlight apps. :)

There's a sticky thread here explaining app permissions that's worth a read. A good rule of thumb is that if an app asks for a lot of permissions that seem unrelated to its function then be suspicious. But this does require a little thought and understanding, since there can be innocent reasons, eg an app that has the option to behave differently when you are in a call will need to be able to read phone state (so the fact that an app that isn't related to calling or messaging wants this doesn't automatically mean it's up to no good).
  6. arej00dazed

arej00dazed Active Member

whats wrong with scanner radio? Yeah it may drain the battery faster when using it, but as far as I know, if you close out of it, it doesnt run in the background. Thats been a helpful lil app on many a bad storms.
  7. Parshooter

Parshooter Well-Known Member

I've been using Zedge for months and have had no problems.
  8. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

As long as you get your apps from the play store you can be relatively confident that they are malware free.

Just make sure to read permissions
  9. CmHall9

CmHall9 Member

I have no idea why they said not to use scanner radio. Sometimes I think they hear or read something and decide to tell everyone that walks into the store.
    As for Zedge I still have it on my Droid. no problems.
  10. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

I have a flashlight app and Scanner Radio installed for awhile and haven't had any issues with either one. Of course scanner radio will drain the battery the more you use it, since it will be streaming!
  11. gingersnapgirl

gingersnapgirl Well-Known Member Contributor

Interesting. I've had Zedge on my phone from the day I brought it home, and everyone I know with an android phone has it and recommends it. Did they happen to mention why?
  12. CmHall9

CmHall9 Member

I was getting unusual app icons appearing on my droid. They were adds. After removing the Flashlight app the add disappeared and have not returned.
  13. CmHall9

CmHall9 Member

The Verizon representative said it drains resources, but I don't see it. My phone works fine with it.
  14. RyanB

Bear the following in mind OP:
    1. There are multiple versions of some of the apps you listed. One flashlight app that's sketchy doesn't mean all the rest are.
    2. Cell phone reps are not always the most knowledgeable. I've encountered some *very* sharp ones at Big Red that even code apps, but others....not so much. It's good for you to verify their claims at a place like this, but don't be surprised if many posts contest what you were told.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  15. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

Stay away from anything that claims to save battery. Usually they use more juice running in the background all the time & keeping the phone awake than they save.
  16. WickedBanshee

WickedBanshee New Member

Most of the "save battery" apps I've tried ended up draining my battery and RAM. Also all the "battery level" ones, quite useless.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  17. Rxpert83

Doesn't make much sense having an app running in the background to save battery does it ;)
  18. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

There's a sticky thread about this in this forum ;)

As a couple of us have noted, app names don't have to be unique. I just had a peek in the Play Store and counted 28 apps called just "Flashlight" before I got bored, amongst many times that number with flashlight in the name. So with generic names like that you need to specify the developer to be sure you get (or avoid!) the right app.
  19. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Depends. Juice Defender extends my battery life by as much as 6-8hrs on regular usage. But that's because I have everything on auto-sync, so JD turning off connections for a time and rechecking just after a certain period does save battery more than letting the phone stay online all the time.

But then again, battery saving apps work only on certain situations. If you aren't like me who leaves packet data on all the time, they won't be of any help at all.
  20. Ron H

Ron H Well-Known Member

In general, be very careful if downloading apps from places other than Google Play or the Amazon App store.
  21. mydian

mydian Well-Known Member

1. My guess is they don't want you to use Zedge because they want you to buy ring tones from them.

2. There are some Flashlight apps with malware in them like ads popping up in the notification bar. I found that out the hard way when I first got my phone. But, there are some good ones in the market as well. If you go to install a flashlight app, and it wants access to the internet, obviously that's bad. Why would a flashlight need to access the network? You just have to pay attention to permissions.

3. Scanner Radio uses a lot of data and battery, so that's probably why they said not to use it probably. It's an awesome app and worth installing though just be mindful of how much you use it.

4.Task Killers use more battery than they do good. Older versions of Android could make good use of them but now if you have one and have it set to keep closing google maps, or email, or something like that those services will just keep restarting and end up using more battery. However, as chanchan05 said, an app like Juice Defender could still be useful by turning auto-sync on and off at certain times/intervals and save some battery. But only Android should manage running tasks/services/processes.

Thats my take anyway. It's hard to explain what a Verizon rep is thinking lol.
  22. kathayes

kathayes Well-Known Member

1. Can't anyone create an account and upload something to the Play Store?
    2. Google doesn't go through and check or scan apps for issues do they?
  23. LexiconStudios

LexiconStudios Well-Known Member

Anything that uses push ads. Delete. Delete. Delete.
  24. RyanB

1. Google scans the store for malware http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1368854

2. It costs $25 (I believe only once) to register as a dev and upload an app

3. There are rumors that Google will someday include a scanner in the Play store that's on your device
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  25. Rxpert83

The framework for the client side stuff is already there. Its only a matter of time before they fully roll it out.