What apps will you download after 2.1 update?

Last Updated:

1. Elpelco

Elpelco Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Instread of banging on about WHEN the update is coming, I'm trying to be positive, soooo, what apps is everyone looking forward to getting post-2.1? :D

Advertisement
  2. capuman

capuman Well-Known Member

im interested in googlegoggles and the sat nav google maps mainly. Also interested in being able to add multiple email accounts onto my phone.

Also, i know its just a gimmick but i was hoping to play around with those live wallpapers!! but it appears they wont make it on the htc hero..oh well..

3. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

Unless you are in the USA or you are going to install a custom 2.1 Rom there is no Google Nav either.

The parent company of TomTom owns the mapping data that is used by Google maps in the UK, they are hardly going to let Google use it for a free Sat Nav app.

4. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

Google Goggles if it's available here, I love the technology behind it.

Al

5. kingvortex

kingvortex Well-Known Member

Goggles is definitely available in the UK. A friend's daughter running 1.6 on her phone has it, and took great delight in showing it to me, knowing that I can't get it yet :rolleyes:.

6. Elpelco

Elpelco Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well that sucks, I was really looking forward to that :(

7. capuman

well im in Spain...so does that mean i get the sat nav or not? :|

8. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

I am also interested in the googlegoggles, shame about the sat nav, spose we cannot have everything.

9. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

It is USA only, have a look on the Nexus 1 forums to see some people spitting fire. Plenty bought the N1 unaware that Nav only works in the States.

10. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

The navigation only works in the US, because Google have their own mapping data for the US. Anytime you go onto Google Maps and get directions for anywhere outside of the US, it is using Navteq's data (which wuthton quite rightly points out is TomTom's parent company).

Short answer is until Google gets it's own mapping data for your country, you won't get navigation. my guess is they will release if for Europe all in one go like they did with street view. I have hopes that they are compiling the mapping data as we speak, they have promised to get it to countries outside of the US, just not said when.

To answer the OP, Google Goggles is a great 1.6+ app, as is the Buzz version of Google Maps

11. akvanden

akvanden Member

Will Google Nav be any better than the already free Sprint Nav (for those who have Sprint in the US)

12. DeadlyDazza

DeadlyDazza Well-Known Member

No live wallpapers for Hero ?

Booooo !

13. UchihaBones

UchihaBones Member

I'm looking forward to being able to voice search and gesture search! Two 'forgotten' apps in my opinion. I think people are just too used to typing to search lol. Also i'll be able to dictate to handcent! Woo

14. capuman

oh i totally forgot, its not an app really but Bluetooth file transfer is something ill definitely be using!!

15. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

Yes well remembered, as Sheldon Cooper says. Everything is better with Bluetooth. Cannot believe the phone didn't come with it in the first place.

Al

16. JimR123

JimR123 Well-Known Member

I didn't know that Google Maps in the UK uses "TomTom" data, so I did a bit of research.

Not sure how true this is, but I've read that Google can generate their own map data at the same time as doing their Street View runs (taking photos of you mowing your lawn). I've noticed that most of the UK is now fully Street View-ed up, like they've put some big push on it for some reason. So maybe this means Google will switch to their own mapping data pretty soon! ...and hopefully letting us UK bods get our hands on Google Maps Navigation (what I thought was actually on the phone when I bought it :mad:).