• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are "Cell standby" and "Phone idle"?

3ricG

Apr 25, 2011
Philadelphia
My battery is at about 40% after not using it at all today. This is strange (for me); my phone usually will usually be at 80% after not using it all day. When I looked at what used the most battery it was "Cell standby" [34%] and "Phone idle" [27%]. What are these, and why did they take up so much battery? They seem like processes that shouldn't take much battery at all (standby and idle).

Thanks.

Phone Idle is the power your phone needs to stay switched on and all the electronics powered up - the memory going, the CPU running at a minimal speed, background processes, etc.

Cell Standby is the power your phone's radio is using to keep in contact with your nearest (usually) cell tower. It will need to check in with the tower every so often, and listen to it in case a call or an SMS comes in.

Reactions: SeekerOfTheWay
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones