• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What are missing

Hi AllThingsPure

Can't help on some the above points but I can recommend some free good downloadable "Global" maps. It's down to you to choose which country or area you wish to cache depending on space available on your phone and you can do this while on your connected to you local WiFi. I then can take the phone abroad, content that the data roaming is switched offand not having to pay the horrendous international data roaming charges.

Ones to try can be found on the Android Market, namely:

1. Maps (-)
2. MapDroyd

If this helps, do drop me a line or click on the thanks button so that others may also see if this answers the downloadable map issue.

Reactions: AllThingsPure
Upvote 0
Ones to try can be found on the Android Market, namely:

1. Maps (-)
2. MapDroyd

Thanks, this saves me much search and test effort.

Is there a way to make Maps(-) cache a particular city/area without having to first "use" the map? Do you have to physically browse through every potential area you want to go, zoom in and out to retrieve the different levels of details, before the data will cache? The author's web site seems to indicate this is so.

MapDroyd starts with this question: "

Upvote 0
With Maps (-) I pretty much downloaded Europe but only to the first 3 levels. For places that I am visiting and will be on foot e.g. Prague, I zoom in until Prague fills my screen and then cache the complete area down to the highest possible detail. Sometimes if I intend to be going for walks outside the city and caching large areas to high detail it can download 5 - 6 digit cache areas and may take over 2 hours to download.

I am in agreement with you. Why wouldn't you do this verses using expensive international data roaming charges. The cache stays on your phone until such time as you wipe it, so once you've got the map you don't need to download it again.

As for MapDroyd, yes you do need to choose which country files to download. Persoanally, I just downloaded the globe. Put the SGS on charge and left it for a few hours to do it's stuff. For me, I prefer Maps (-) but WikiDroyds slightly more basic presentation is great for the odd time when a minimum notice destination change takes you to a place you haven't had the time to download yet in Maps (-).

Also when using WikiDroyd in certain countries especially Arabic or Russian you find that WikiDroyd presents 00000 as the place name at certain zoom levels. At certain levels the place can be read but as you zoom in or out the place becomes these hollow rectangles.

Upvote 0
Also when using WikiDroyd in certain countries especially Arabic or Russian you find that WikiDroyd presents 00000 as the place name at certain zoom levels. At certain levels the place can be read but as you zoom in or out the place becomes these hollow rectangles.

Hollow rectangles sound like the lack of the fonts required.

Upvote 0
Hollow rectangles sound like the lack of the fonts required.

Agreed, and so to said the dev's forums.

They said that Froyo would fix it but it doesn't appear to have.

The 000000's appear when you zoom in or out on certain places. The strange thing is that the word could be read normally on the previous screen but then you zoom out a little and the word is then no longer viewable.

It happens mostly on Arabic and Russian countries. As said above, the place is visible with the correct spelling at some point but it would appear that at certain zoom levels the font changes to something that my SGS does not recognise?

Anyway, unless you are going to these places, you won't really notice it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones