What are ROMs

Last Updated:

1. Jason Pedersen

Jason Pedersen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm really thinking about rooting (really, who on these forums and isn't). However, there is so much information to take in that it can be daunting, and without some serious filing abilities, keeping track of everything so you eventually get a sense of it all is near impossible it seems. So, I ask a huge favor, could we get a "Idiots Guide to Rooting Terminology?" (I have searched a bit to see if this is out there somewhere, wouldn't ask otherwise)

What are ROMs? Maybe it seems simple to some, and it probably is, but indulge us.

Other than Thor's father, what's Odin?

A2SD? App to SD maybe?

Vanilla Rom? As basic as you can get?

I'm sure there are others too, and perhaps someone else can chime in with their questions, but I'm sure a basic FAQ on rooting terminology would be beneficial.

Huge thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. djquick

djquick Well-Known Member

1. A rom, simply put is a tweaked version of your phone's operating system. Developers strip it down, remove stock apps and such, and customize it to run as smooth as they can get it. Head over to XDA's forum, Eugene has quite a few roms floating around with different mods that have a description of what he did to the rom so you can have a better understanding.

2. Odin is a program that you install on your computer and use to flash your android phone. Pretty much the same as ActiveSync is for Windows Mobile.

3. Exactly. A2SD is Apps to SD

4. Again, exactly. A vanilla rom is basically a barebone version of a rom that you can customize to your liking.

Jason Pedersen likes this.
  3. Jason Pedersen

Jason Pedersen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks man. I'm finding that a lot of the "How to Root" forums are exactly that...how to root. But, like a new cameras manual, it's only how to do something, this ROM, that ROM, run through this installer, but not necessarily the WHY you want to do it. I've seen so many different ROMs and so many different methods, but not so much why this is or that method might be better. It's a "Features" vs. "Benefits" thing.

This has become my new hobby after coming to the Vibrant from the G1. I was so afraid of bricking it, I didn't go very far.

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Rooting is relatively safe. It's what you do after rooting that's causes the problem. Lag fix has been known to cause all sort of problems. Deleting Google Talk is also a common issue. Unless if you are confident, stick to stock ROM.