• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are some things you may not know your driod can do?

...Actually the app has gotten a lot better just over the last few weeks.

Really? That sux...need to get another Android phone again, waiting for At&t/T-Mo/Verizon to get something decent, in a "slider".

FWIW, my girl and I have been using Babel Fish (I've used it for years), but she says that the "Spanish" (traditional, from Spain) was more accurate via Talk To Me than Babel.

...The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has Babel fish that you put in your ear. Is that what you're thinking of?

Naw, this was "old school". The "hero" was from "Earth", can't remember if it was from "the past", and I'm fairly certain that the devices were referred to as "Universal Translators". They were "implanted" however. It may have been Star Trek...one movie/episode, I think a main character's was broken, and he couldn't understand anyone until it was replaced.

Upvote 0
Here it is at AppBrain.

Or go to the Market on your phone and search for "Earth Live Map Pack"

It has everything from the Death Star (1 & 2) to Tatooine to Dagobah.

There are also Futurama planets, a Borg Cube (and other Star Trek planets), Pandora (from Avatar) and other fictional worlds.

There are also real planets and moons.

And even a soccer ball for the world cup fans.

I want to install this but all it does is install and then give me the option to uninstall it (no other option). Did this happen to you? I previously downloaded the regular Live Earth wallpaper, do I need to uninstall that first or something?

Upvote 0
Just logged back onto the forums after a vacation and was suprised to find that this post i started actually got a lot of info posted onto it! thanks guys!

for the talk to me app, which one is better. talk to me classic, or talk to me cloud?

Talk To Me Classic uses local TTS libraries for the text-to-speech feature. This means it doesn't do data traffic for text-to-speech. The classic version also offers the possibility to buy more voice from "More voices" section (voices are bought form SVOX mobile voices). Talk To Me is compatible with Android 1.6 an later and requires some other tools to be installed: TTS Extended, Svox classic Engine, TTS Data.

Talk To Me Cloud used a web-service for text-to-speech. It is compatible with Android 1.5 an later and does not require any extra tools. In this version you can't buy more voices.

If you have any other questions regarding Talk To Me don't hesitate to post them.

Upvote 0
I didn't know If I connect my tape auxillary cable to connect to my tape player, that it wouldn't turn off my microphone and I can make calls and here people on my radio. Pretty cool for people with a tape player in their dash.

Also that you can be calling someone and recording video and it will record their voice and the video and the sounds around you. So basically I can have my Wife on speaker, push video record, have her talk to our baby and make her laugh then later when she gets off work she can see the video and her reaction.

Pretty cool.

Upvote 0
If you download AppOrganizer from market, you can label each app by category (not just 1 label, you can do multiple labels). Then, you can make a shortcut to a folder for each label using the widget for AppOrganizer.

Also, you can star apps you use a lot and they will appear at the top of the folder when you click on it.

I LOVE this. Allows me to have Travel, games, kids, tools, shopping...... apps easier to get to than using the app drawer.

(EDIT: If you go into "labels" in apporganizer and long click on a label, you can change the icon it uses for the folder in the widget. AWESOME for when you make a label! It also allows you to use photos for icons)

Upvote 0
re: task killers

I often go to websites that constantly refresh on their own, like my CBS fantasy baseball website. if I just leave the browser, it will keep on refreshing again and again and again until the battery is dead

besides a task killer, how do i prevent this?

will have to use back button, back all the way out. will have to go through every page you visited though. personally i use systempanel lite and in this situation would use it to kill internet

Upvote 0
re: task killers

I often go to websites that constantly refresh on their own, like my CBS fantasy baseball website. if I just leave the browser, it will keep on refreshing again and again and again until the battery is dead

besides a task killer, how do i prevent this?

From the browser, hit "menu", "windows" and close out any add'l open browser windows. Then hit "menu", "more", and then "home" and it will take you to your (non-refreshing) homepage.

Upvote 0
Naw, this was "old school". The "hero" was from "Earth", can't remember if it was from "the past", and I'm fairly certain that the devices were referred to as "Universal Translators". They were "implanted" however. It may have been Star Trek...one movie/episode, I think a main character's was broken, and he couldn't understand anyone until it was replaced.

I think you are talking about an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, "Little Green Men." The Ferengi barkeep, Quark, and his brother, Rom, take Nog to earth but get sent back in time instead. They end up in Roswell, 1947. They had to fix their universal translators, implanted near the ear, to understand the earth folk.

"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" Little Green Men (1995)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones