• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What are the Android equivalents to the iPod (i.e., does everything but cellular calls)

cutedroid

Jan 3, 2013
I'm not rich. I therefore don't need a device that can do cellular phone calls. Is there an Android equivalent to the iPod (audio player, camera, calendar, email, etc)?

Inherent in my question is the assumption that you pay more for a device that can do cell calls.

Well, as far as I know there aren't any. There isn't much demand for such a device nowadays. The iPod itself is dying. This is mainly because the market is getting saturated by lower priced models from various manufacturers. You can still buy a Galaxy S5 nowadays for greatly reduced price and it would still work great.

Upvote 0
There used to be things like the Samsung Galaxy Player, basically the Android equivalent of the iPod Touch. But the market seems to have dried up now. Only other thing possibly would be a small tablet, but they tend to be larger than most phones of course.

Apple still makes the iPod Touch, but I'm pretty sure it's not been updated in three years, and may well soon be discontinued with no updated replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: cutedroid
Upvote 0
Well, as far as I know there aren't any. There isn't much demand for such a device nowadays. The iPod itself is dying. This is mainly because the market is getting saturated by lower priced models from various manufacturers. You can still buy a Galaxy S5 nowadays for greatly reduced price and it would still work great.
Dear chanchan,

Sorry that I was not clear. When I referred to iPod, I didn't mean that I wanted something high-end/high-priced. :)

Upvote 0
I think what happened is just everyone has a smart-phone now, dumb-phones are very much history, so basically no need to carry around another device that does the same thing but minus the phone part. And manufacturers, including Apple, have realized that.

Hmmm... a phablet-sized device would be okay with me. :)

I'm pretty sure anything that's 6inch - 7inch and smaller sized is actually a phone. This thread came up this morning, about a "polaroid 7 inch tablet" for $50 bucks
http://androidforums.com/threads/polaroid-6-6-a-good-buy.1098566/#post-7448764

....which I think is this device, a phablet smart-phone.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y0NI6U4/?tag=polaroid0d-20
...of course if you don't put a SIM in it, then it isn't really a phone. :thumbsupdroid:

EDIT:

Apparently Sony does Android Walkmans, which are not phones, but these can be expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman...1260524&sr=8-11&keywords=sony+android+walkman
Just short of $1200 bucks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are plenty of used phones out there.. maybe a nexus 5 could be had cheap. Don't need a sim card to set one up either. I like my n5, but battery is dying so I'm getting a new phone. Don't know much about them.. but a company named blu has phones under 100 with expandable storage.. maybe worth looking at those.

Upvote 0
A Galaxy S5 is priced lower than mid range devices nowadays since you can get it second hand, but a better option unless you mind updates.
chanchan,
No, i don't mind updates. Why would anyone mind updates?
My mom gave me a Galaxy S3. She also bought a brand-new battery. I guess if I get the Galaxy S5 (or any other used device), I should get a brand new battery.

Upvote 0
I'm considering getting additional devices. My S3 is good, but I need more than one of this. :)
Depending on your budget, I'd get an old 6inch phablet or 7 inch tablet for a secondary device. I'd expect there are still some second hand Nexus 2013s or Tab 4's that you can acquire. It would be better for watching movies, and overall media consumption IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones