What are the benefits of adding everybody as google contacts?

Last Updated:

1. islandmixed

islandmixed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Iam a lil confused about this as ive added everybody as phone contacts, only cause i wanted to add a pic with whoever i add. it does not work when adding a contact to sim.

cheers

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

You never have to worry about losing contact details again! Add a contact on your phone, and within seconds it's also in Google Mail. Ditto in the opposite direction. Need to factory reset your handset? As soon as you re-enter your Google account details those contacts are sync'd back to the phone.

3. davethetog

davethetog Member

Slug has nailed it :)

I made the same mistake, saving all my contacts that I imorted from my old phone as 'Phone' contacts. I couldn't understand at first why they would not transfer over to Google Contacts.

If you have your contacts in MS Outlook or similar then you can export them as a CSV file, import that into Google Contacts then they will sync to your phone. They will 'double up' i.e. you will end up with both a google entry & a phone entry for each contact on your phone so you might think about deleting all the phone contacts before you import the CSV file to Google Contacts.

4. islandmixed

islandmixed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

okay iam getting it now lol. so does this mean if i add more info like email & the pics etc, that will also be saved by google? i wont have to re enter or add a contact pic.

i heard their is a app that allows you to add import your phone contacts to google, anybody remember the name of it?

cheers for the help guys

5. markoc84

markoc84 New Member

How do you move your contacts from the Phone to Google mail, i would really like to do this but i cant seem to find an option in the "People" section of my phone, I'm on the Orange Hero,
    Any help greatly appreciated

6. markoc84

markoc84 New Member

Great, thanks for that will give it a go,
    When you say you imported into Google contacts, i take it you mean you logged into Google Mail on your PC and then you can import the CSV File?
    Thanks again,

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Good advice, I did exactly the same but with contacts2sd app.

8. peejay

peejay Well-Known Member

Can you confirm something for me now that you ONLY have Googlee contacts on your phone?
    Go to Google Maps and choose Menu/Directions/End Point/Contacts.
    It tells me my contacts list is empty !
    If I put in a Phone Contact it finds that.
    In other words, Google Maps doesnt recognise Google Contacts, seems weird.

9. Angelasutton

Angelasutton New Member

it took me forever to move them.

10. peejay

peejay Well-Known Member

Thanks for trying that, hope its something that gets sorted with 2.0 :)

11. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Not just that, they're also apart of every other google service. I have google voice and now all my contact groups are my caller groups. Family gets their own greeting, work gets another one. I use the GV app to send text messages all the time.

12. CitizenErazed

CitizenErazed Well-Known Member

The app 'ContactSync' will automatically transfer all your phone contacts to Google. I used it myself a few days ago, saved me having to re-enter ~100 contacts.

13. jimeller

jimeller Well-Known Member

Plus one on that. I used it yesterday, and worked a treat!

14. Pa_boda

Pa_boda New Member

Is there any way to simply synch my Outlook contacts to my HTC Hero without using google? In the past, I used a blackberry and synched back and forth with no problems. Right now, I'm doubling or tripling the number of contacts in both Outlook and (to a lesser extent) my Hero.

15. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

HTC Sync, which is supplied with the handset, will do that. Check HTC's support site for the most recent version, which also now syncs music.

edit: I see from another thread that the issue you're having is with duplicate contact entries. Check the HTC Sync settings to see how it's configured to deal with conflicts. I can't be of any more help as I don't use Sync myself.