What are the benifits of rooting your HTC Hero ?

Last Updated:

1. DLow

DLow New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys :) Im new to the android scene just switched from a blackberry curve to the Black HTC Hero. Been looking around on the forum and i was really wondering what are the benefits of rooting the HTC Hero ? I can already see just by reading through the forums that its probably the first thing ill do once i receive my HTC Hero in the mail.

Advertisement
  2. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

For one it will give you full access to your phone without restrictions, also allow you to add many programs that you cannot on a stock phone, will also allow you to get rid of the sprint Bloatware programs, such as Sprint TV, Football, etc. it will also most likely speed up your phone and have less lag, I am not rooted, but these are somethings I have read many threads on, good luck I am sure the rooters will weigh it very soon and a Mod will most likely move your thread to the rooted section

3. jwpilly

jwpilly Well-Known Member

You get awesome apps that are specific for root users only like "Wireless Tether." You get to tweak the crap out of your phone, like overclocking etc. You get to back up your phone, so that if you ever mess it up, you can restore it to a previous version. You get to play around with different Roms when you get tired of the one you've been using. You can get Android 2.2 with all its awesome features. HTC and Sprint are not updating the Hero anymore, so all non-root users are stuck on Android 2.1 until they change phones. Once you root you will never go back.

Btw-Don't get attached to Sense UI. The hero runs better without it, and you can't get Android 2.2 with it.

4. wrench

wrench Well-Known Member

^^^ This. Plus, you can always go back to factory fresh if you really want. But I don't think anyone who roots goes back.

5. pinoy724

pinoy724 Well-Known Member

First off, Welcome and which Hero are you getting? You posted about a BLACK HTC Hero. Just make sure your rooting a CDMA or a GSM. If your not sure which one you have, CDMA Hero's does not have the chin on the bottom of the phone, GSM has a chin and a slide out keyboard. If you try rooting a GSM Hero with CDMA root, you could possibly brick your phone and vice versa. Also make sure to read all about rooting before you start.

If you decide to root your phone, then Welcome to the Dark Side bwahaha.

The advantages of rooting your phone is that you have the freedom of customizing your phone. Flashing different roms, kernals, mods, themes, etc.etc. There are many different roms out there. For first time users, try out Fresh or Nfinate roms. After knowing the basic of flashing and nandroid backups, then you could try Cyanogen's or Darch's roms. But you can read all about each rom at XDADevelopers.com Like someone posted above, don't get attached to senseui roms. Well good luck and happy flashing.

6. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

this being your first post, I will say, the benefits of rooting are as plentiful as the time and work you put into it. that said, please browse through the forum or search first as there are probably 100 threads with nearly identical titles and questions. this will also help you get answers faster instead of having to wait for others to post in your thread.

7. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

also, no Hero has a slide-out keyboard, ever...

8. pinoy724

pinoy724 Well-Known Member

Thought the G1 was considered a Hero, but thanks for correcting me.

9. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

G1 was although made by HTC never included Sense. But there a lot of benefits to rooting. It can help improve the performance of your hero with flashing a ROM. You can have all the administrator permissions. A lot of upgrades can come with it (again with the help offlashing a rom)