What are the best apps for a rooted Droid?

To root or not to root that is the question.

Poll closed Dec 28, 2009.
  1. Yes, I want to change everything.

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. No, I am perfectly happy with the stock offerings.

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
Last Updated: 2012-02-18 19:47:35
  1. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Like the title says, what are the best apps that take advantage of root access? I have been rooted for several days, but haven't found anything really useful, so give us your lists of must have apps requiring root access.

So far I have installed:

drocap 2
    root explorer

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I haven't rooted mine yet, mainly because the only thing I'm really interested in is changing the notification bar color, and that isn't reason enough for me. I'm waiting for some more apps that interest me before I go the root route.
  3. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Understandable. I have to admit what I am really waiting for is a quality wifi tethering app, currently available for other phones, but hopefully they will make their way to droid in the near future.
  4. zeiroe

zeiroe Member

id say terminal emulator is a must ;)
  5. phwaap

phwaap Well-Known Member

AdFree for sure.
  6. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

I will have to try AdFree. Would really like to some custom ROMs to show up already, and for the over-clocking apps to actually allow over-clocking in stead of just under-clocking.
  7. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

No one else has any input on what apps are useful for a rooted droid?
  8. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

You can indeed wifi tether now. I made a thread for it yesterday as an announcement, but they have a huge thread over at droid forums. Here is a link:

Tether capability with android-wifi-tether (Wireless Tether for Root Users) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

I haven't gotten around to trying it yet (I've been needing my phone too much to risk anything lately), but I'm really excited about it.
  9. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Root Explorer
    DROID Explorer
    WiFi Tether
    Terminal Emulator
    BusyBox
    AdFree
    drocap2
    Backup for root users
    Remote Wipe

Off the top of my head...
  10. Berry2Droid

Berry2Droid Well-Known Member

WHere you guys finding these rooted apps?
  11. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Are those all in the market?
  12. andykaz

andykaz New Member

My apps since rooting yesterday are:

Terminal Emulator
    BusyBox
    VPN Connections

I mainly did it so that I can VPN into the Cisco at work and then SSH to our servers (via ConnectBot). Pretty sweet!
  13. MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue New Member

Update: This is an old thread, but I wanted to add that you can now get Flash player via root. I'm not even sure verizon has announced a release date for 10.1 yet, but it's up and runs great
  14. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Titanium Backup Paid, My Backup Pro, SetCPU and drocap2 are pretty much the standard for root users...
  15. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Why would they? It's an Adobe product.
  16. Golem

Golem New Member

Tried Sprite Backup and MyBackupPro. MyBackupPro by far the best of the two. I saw no need to try any others as this one, with root features, has everything anybody might need.
  17. catsnake

catsnake New Member

titaniumbackup
    screenshot
    adfree
    setcpu
    teatherwifi
    busybox
    superuser (it typically comes with your boot program)
    cpu tuner
    cachemate

& my favorite....

Link2sd . i highly recommend this app if you want to take un-movable files and "POOF" them onto your SD card. saves A LOT of internal memory.

make sure that once your phone is properly rooted, that you go into your APP screen, and tap on the SUPERUSER app icon and activate it. You need it to gain access once rooted.
  18. TioTony

TioTony New Member

Absolute System
    Autokiller Memory
    Rom Manager
    CacheMate for root users
    Root Explorer
    and Wireless tether

My advise is use Rom manager to do a backup of your phone before playing around with Absolute system. You can uninstall Apps that were embedded in your ROM. If you have a backup you can undo whatever you mess up.
  19. josimity

josimity New Member

Hi, Adam. I am getting error messages from Verizon saying app not found and directing me to their site for their wi fi tether. Any way around this? They won't let me use the apps from your recommended site, either. What settings am I missing?
    Thanks
  20. tmaertin

tmaertin Member

To me the whole point of rooting was to be able to control things I was restricted from managing myself before. Here is what I use for that:

Autorun Manager (free) and Autostarts ($1.03) - both of these prevent programs from starting when your phone boots and hanging open. for those coming from windows, sort of like managing startup and services in msconfig.

Gemini App Manager (free) - love this app. i use it with the Gemini Task Killer Widget to kill running tasks. You can set apps to never kill and then quickly hit the widget and kill everything else that is open. This is a manual task killer - by not autokilling it does not suck up valuable battery. You can also control autostarts from this app.

Gemini Installer and Clear (free) - can be used as an install manager, but i use the mostly as a cache clearing utility (there is a widget built in for this as well)

Ad Free Android (free) - sure, you can mod your own hosts file, but this is a nice easy way and since I travel a lot I can update on the fly. Life without ads is nice!

Avast Mobile Security (free) - everyone has their opinion on whether an antivirus is necessary for the Android OS. Forget that for a moment and focus on the firewall here. You can lock apps out of communication, so NO ADS in apps like Angry Birds! You can also lock out all apps while roaming, thus avoiding those pesky $10k bills that are always in the news. Another nice feature is the antitheft capabilities and the ability to schedule antivirus scans. Its also uses a small memory footprint (3-5mb).

ES File Explorer (free) - allowed me to remove or rename apps i did not want/need/use and manage the entire android file system.

The best part is on this whole list - you will spend a buck.