what are the chances of getting bricked?

Last Updated:

1. EverydaysMyDay

EverydaysMyDay Member This Topic's Starter

I'm new to all this and am wondering what the chances are of getting bricked if i (try to) root my Droid Incredible?

Advertisement
  2. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Almost nil if you read up first and follow directions. Make backups before doing changes and you can revert back if borked. Only thing that has truley bricked phones is installing the ota radio update twice, which now is a non issue since you don't even need to touch that file

3. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

What do you mean you don't have to touch that file? I thought you had to update it to get things to work correctly?

4. rp1101

rp1101 Member

I do not think there has been a single report of anyone "bricking" from just rooting the phone.

You do not need to update the radio to root, just to run any of the froyo ROMS. And you don't necessarily need to install the 2.05 OTA radio update to use a froyo ROM, you can update straight from the stock 1.x radio to the 2.15 radio as long as you S-OFF your phone first.

Now if you want froyo and do not want to S-OFF or do not want to run the 2.15 radio, then you must use the 2.05 OTA and be careful not to flash it twice or its lights out.

5. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

s-off will keep root forever right? If I wanted to root and try some of the Froyo roms, I might as well use the 2.15 radio and s-off, if I'm understanding correctly.

6. rp1101

rp1101 Member

Lots of people are doing just what your saying (including me), some however have stated that the 2.15 radio isn't working as well as the 2.05 radio on their setup, so your mileage may vary. Here is some info on S-OFF grabbed from XDA.

Quoted from the XDA thread.
    unrEVOked forever will give you permanent nand unlock while booted into the os as well as S-OFF security for the ability to flash unsigned zip's from hboot. With this you can flash any OTA and still be able to recover root by flashing a recovery and a root package.

From the unrEVOked forever website. (some people get put off by doing something to their device that cannot be undone)
    How can this be removed or undone if I need to take my phone in for service?
    We have not yet developed a tool to reset the phone to S-ON. In the future, we may create one; in the interim, you should not rely on the existence of such a tool.

7. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

The 2.05 radio has higher chances of bricking correct? And 2.15 is easier to do?

8. crackers8199

crackers8199 Well-Known Member

going from stock radio to 2.15 took literally 5 minutes, maybe less.

- run forever to get s-off
    - flash radio image

simple.

9. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

its so easy a caveman could do it.