• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are the top 5 most useful Root only apps?

For those that have been rooted for a while now, I'm just curious about the most helpful root apps used after installing a new ROM...

I'm new to Android...didn't know the first thing about it until a week ago, so I don't know if any of this will be of use to you. I've already seen there is a vast amount to learn and a lot of good resources. A few things I've come across recently:

8 Great Apps Every Rooted Android User Should Know About | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police Has links to other tutorials I've found helpful.

xda-developers Much to find in the forums about rooting and what you can do with it.

There's a lot more. Start looking for more Android forums if you haven't already. It's amazing how much is out there.

Reactions: mrgolfrider
Upvote 0
I hear a lot about SetCPU, but I haven't seen much reason to need to fiddle with my cpu speed. Could a few of you who are into it explain how you use it and what benefits you get?

Well there are two benefits...

Decrease CPU speed to save battery life
Increase CPU speed to make the phone work faster

Manufactures set it somewhere to give a reasonable speed whilst not killing the battery life.

So if you want to increase your battery life or increase your performance you can use SetCPU to do this. You can also set profiles to increase or decrease based on certain situations.

Also, what's metamorph?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=591329

Reactions: flu13
Upvote 0

Manufactures set it somewhere to give a reasonable speed whilst not killing the battery life.

So if you want to increase your battery life or increase your performance you can use SetCPU to do this. You can also set profiles to increase or decrease based on certain situations.

Cool. So what sort of things would you want to increase the CPU speed for? Does decreasing make navigation sluggish?

Upvote 0
I hear a lot about SetCPU, but I haven't seen much reason to need to fiddle with my cpu speed. Could a few of you who are into it explain how you use it and what benefits you get?

Also, what's metamorph?

How to MetaMorph/Theme - xda-developers

Cool. So what sort of things would you want to increase the CPU speed for? Does decreasing make navigation sluggish?

I was testing SetCPU the other day... and while running it with just some basic profiles (screen state, battery levels, etc.) I was getting worse battery life than stock on my EVO.

The last OTA update for the EVO really helped with battery life (specifically with standby battery life). After doing some more testing/monitoring, it appears my EVO is already scaling the CPU constantly depending on demand. I typically get 15-17 hours battery life from a single charge. That dropped down to about 10-12 running SetCPU (with just some basic profiles and no OCing).

During typical phone use/navigation my CPU seems to scale between ~300Mhz and ~650Mhz (without SetCPU). I set it manually to sit at 500-650 with SetCPU and did not notice any lag in navigation.

So from what I have seen on my EVO (Stock w/ Full Root), SetCPU seems to have no real benefit. I could see using it if I was on a custom kernel that allowed OCing and I wanted more control over the CPU scaling or wanted to push it past 1Ghz.

This may not be the experience of others or be the same for you depending on your phone and ROM.

Right now the only programs I am using that need root are:

Titanium Backup
Wireless Tether
Root Explorer
Terminal Emulator
Shoot Me

Upvote 0
top 3 IMO......... setcpu, titanium backup, root explorer
Those are great apps, in addition all the following are pretty sweet root apps:

Root Explorer,Titanium Backup, Wireless Tether,SetCPU, Cachmate, Autostarts,Swapper, Louder Volume Hack, SQLite Editor, Webkey, BusyBox, Dual Mount, Shark for Root, Apk Uploader, Scripter, Packet Sniffer, Metamorph...

There are too many to mention, but if you want complete control of your device root is it...

My top 3 is pretty much like everyone elses:

1. Wireless Tether
2. Root Explorer
3.Titanium Backup - must have when your constantly trying out all the new roms...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones