What are the two sensors next to the ear speaker?

Last Updated:

1. VentureForth

VentureForth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There are two little sensors that are not described by the Captivate manual. According to some guesses in the Incredible thread, one is a proximity sensor and the other is a light sensor. Looks like one COULDV'E been an LED. :(

Anyone know what these are and what they are for?

Other speculation was that it was an "easter egg" camera, but I doubt that...

What application would use a proximity sensor?

Advertisement
  2. Copronymous

Copronymous Well-Known Member

The phone. It blanks the screen so you don't accidentally hit a button while talking with the phone to your ear.

3. LMaxwell

LMaxwell Well-Known Member

They are the proximity and light sensors. The proximity sensor disables the screen when you're in a call, so you're not opening apps with your face.

4. VentureForth

VentureForth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You know, I just thought about that. That's pretty funny, but it makes sense. I guess it also allows the screen to unblank so you can press the end call button...

I just wish it would unblank a little bit quicker, as I unnecessarily press many buttons before I end a call.

5. dantheman2

dantheman2 Well-Known Member

Also, so when you are done talking on the phone and you take it away from your face, the buttons re-appear to hang up the call.

D

6. Buddha64

Buddha64 Well-Known Member

When "tiramisu" comes out (early 2013 - assuming a) no Zombie apocalypse, and/or b) the sun's alignment with center of the Milky Way doesn't destroy the Earth) those will be able to directly monitor your brain waves. Of course, you'll have to be fluent in Italian.

7. Pema108

Pema108 Member

LOL!!

Way to start a new build rumor!!! :D