• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What are the various software identifiers?

Hi there,

I have a Motorola Defy on Vodafone UK, that has just had the Froyo update. I think this is the right location to post my question because I don't think it is phone specific.

I would like to get rid of the Vodafone software and use the UK retail version, as then my phone would work as advertised. Unfortunately I get confused by all the different software identifiers on my phone, and wondered if someone would be kind enough to explain what bits could/should be updated.

When I look at Settings/About Phone I see the following

System Version: Version.34.904.4.MB525VF360Blur.Vodafone.en.GB

Firmware version: 2.2.2

Baseband Version: EPU93_U_00.59.02

Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-gb08c3c8vfcj78@zch68lnxdroid50 #1

BPflex version: UCAJRDNEMARAB1B80AA03A.0R

APflex version: GAS_EMEA_USAJRDNFRYOVFGB_P021

I think I'm starting to understand a little about rooting the phone, but whilst I can look after my Windows PC, I am not a software writer, so don't want to have to go too far.

I'm just trying to get a bit more more understanding before I do anything stupid.

Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones