• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what are things NOT to do after rooting?

As the title for the thread says. What are some things that should be avoided after rooting? And what are some things to do after rooting?

Periodically check your super-user applet and see what files require su. For example, GPS & media player apps DO NOT neeed su access ever. When you download an apk app, check the file size and what permissions it requires. Some things are just obvious. A hiking GPS app does not require SMS capabilities.

Another example, there was a SMS trojan being sent as a media player. The file was 13kb. No mp3 player is ever that small. Naturally, it was a trojan/virus called FakePlayer.

There are only 2 things that require SU access on my phone - wifi tether and a adb shell access (that I specifically triggered).

Reactions: substring
Upvote 0
The things that I have su permission to are Autokiller, One Click Lag Fix (which I should take off I guess), Quick Boot, Rescan Media ROOT, ShootMe, and Startup Manager.

So what can do (or rather not do I guess) to prevent my phone from getting bricked? Or is it even possible at this point?

Upvote 0
Sometimes there are radios newer than what the phone comes with out of the box, released unofficially in experimental firmwares. You may or may not want to flash it depending on all sorts of things like ROM versions etc. Mostly, it affects signal strength and (for the N1 anyway) the video encoding.

Upvote 0
Periodically check your super-user applet and see what files require su. For example, GPS & media player apps DO NOT neeed su access ever. When you download an apk app, check the file size and what permissions it requires. Some things are just obvious. A hiking GPS app does not require SMS capabilities.

Another example, there was a SMS trojan being sent as a media player. The file was 13kb. No mp3 player is ever that small. Naturally, it was a trojan/virus called FakePlayer.

There are only 2 things that require SU access on my phone - wifi tether and a adb shell access (that I specifically triggered).

I only have 3 SU apps. PicMe/Root Explorer/Wifi tether.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones