• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are you currently reading?

Okay, if you like to read books about super-powered people, such as Mur Lafferty's Playing for Keeps, Lexie Dunne's Superheroes Anonymous or Carrie Vaughn's Golden Age series, then you will absolutely love Richard Roberts' Please Don't Tell My Parents... books.

Wonderful, funny, poignant... these are my favorite books for the year so far.

Upvote 0
Okay, if you like to read books about super-powered people, such as Mur Lafferty's Playing for Keeps, Lexie Dunne's Superheroes Anonymous or Carrie Vaughn's Golden Age series, then you will absolutely love Richard Roberts' Please Don't Tell My Parents... books.

Wonderful, funny, poignant... these are my favorite books for the year so far.

+1 to any list that include Mighty Mur Laffery..

The Shambling guide books that she's written are great as well

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have the following on my phone or tablet:

Fight Club (the novel)
The Trident (by Jason Redman)
The Martian (the novel)

I'm a little slower and have low expectations unlike you great readers here. If I finish this by end of the year, it will be a miracle. My goal would be to finish these before Android N is pushed out

Upvote 0
I don't know if you are familiar with the story behind the book: Andy Weir self-published the book on Amazon for $0.99. Some honest-to-Bob NASA types gave him a little feedback and he tweaked it.

Then it just kept selling until a publisher signed him up for a paper version. Then, of course, he got a movie deal.

At any rate it does go on sale for dirt cheap fairly often and he seems okay with that.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Trust No One by Paul Cleave

www.amazon.com/Trust-No-One-Paul-Cleave-ebook/dp/B00P42X1JQ/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

This book has a great hook- a successful crime author develops early onset Alzheimer's and starts confessing to the fictional murders he wrote about in his books. But then he starts wandering from his nursing home with no memory of where he went, coinciding with some real-life murders. Is he killing on auto-pilot? The book alternates chapters between the present and entries he wrote in a journal he started the day of his diagnosis, gradually tying together toward the end. The opening scene is great, and the book is good overall, but doesn't live up to that amazing start. I'd say it's a slightly above average thriller with a way above average premise. Maybe it's not fair, but coming so close to greatness makes above average a bit disappointing. It comes up on the Kindle deals for $2 occasionally, or find a used copy or get it from the library.

Upvote 0
The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum

https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Next-Door-Jack-Ketchum-ebook/dp/B003IHC34I

I borrowed this as my monthly loaner for being a Prime member. I had read one of Ketchum's books before, (Off Season) but I wasn't prepared for this.
I've read and watched horror all my life, and not much bothers me, but this book was seriously disturbing. The sense of dread and foreboding leading up to the abuse of the young girl was intense. When the abuse started it was stomach turning. I would recommend this only if you have the stomach for intense horror. It was very well written. I didn't know until I read the afterword that there was a movie made from the book. This was written in the 80's, and the movie was made around 20 years later. I can't believe I'm actually considering putting myself through this experience again by watching it lol.

Reactions: davoid
Upvote 0
I finished reading You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day, a memoir from the woman who created "The Guild" and co-star of "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog". If you're a gamer then you should know about the first, and the second is a hilarious short series of You-tube videos also starring Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick-Harris.

At any rate, Felicia is funny and inspirational in this book and I will definitely be rereading it at some point. Having to live with clinical depression starting from a young age (and half that time unmedicated), I am painfully aware of how crippling depression and anxiety can be and her story pushes me to try to do better in my own endeavours.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
I finished reading You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day, a memoir from the woman who created "The Guild" and co-star of "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog". If you're a gamer then you should know about the first, and the second is a hilarious short series of You-tube videos also starring Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick-Harris.

At any rate, Felicia is funny and inspirational in this book and I will definitely be rereading it at some point. Having to live with clinical depression starting from a young age (and half that time unmedicated), I am painfully aware of how crippling depression and anxiety can be and her story pushes me to try to do better in my own endeavours.

Always loved Felicia Day. Don't forget, she had recurring roles on a few popular shows, including Supernatural. Good stuff

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Haven't been reading as much as I should.. however yesterday I found a deal on an incredibly cheap Kindle..... so I'm now reading The Ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman.. After that, I might something by an up and coming author called George. I think its called game of thrones, someone's told me that they think it may grow into something big......

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones