• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are you currently reading?

NA, your tastes seem to be right in line with mine

I daresay we are the 2 smartest blokes around:D
Eddings is what really ignited my passion for reading when i was a wee little lad, lol. Well i started with the Xanth series when i was 10 but quickly moved on to Eddings. I love ALL his books, even Althaus(sp?) was a good read for a stand alone.

Roze suggested i read... um... Legend... can't remember the author though:(
ROZE!! Where are you? I was dead to the world when she told me, lol.

Upvote 0
Looks like I'll be reading the Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I hope it's as good as the last series you recommended NA :)

At first I wasn't sure if it was possible but I do believe it is even better... book 6... maybe 7 was so.... Powerful that I swear to you I straight teared up some, lol. Keep me posted(so ready to reread those books, lol)

Upvote 0
Looks like I'll be reading the Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I hope it's as good as the last series you recommended NA :)
It is an outstanding series.
At first I wasn't sure if it was possible but I do believe it is even better... book 6... maybe 7 was so.... Powerful that I swear to you I straight teared up some, lol. Keep me posted(so ready to reread those books, lol)

Just finished Blood of the Fold and I have to say, damn, these books are really good.

:D
Just started "Debt of Bones" as I'm rereading the series in preparation for the release of the new book.

Upvote 0
Today I purchased a book entitled "The geography of Time" by Robert Levine. In this book, the author basically examines and analyzes the differences in the "pace of life" between cultures. For example: The author explains how he went to Brazil to give a lecture scheduled from 10am - 12pm. He talks about how the most of the attendees of this lecture were anywhere from 30minutes - 1 hour + late. The attendees acted as if this was not a problem. He goes on about this occurrence (or lack there of) in different cultures.

I got the idea to read this book because it was referenced in a nice lecture I saw online by Philip Zimbardo (link below). I recommend listening to it, it is not long and I found it pretty insightful.

Lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3oIiH7BLmg&feature=channel

Upvote 0
Thanks, DaedalusxX, for posting that video. Both my wife and I enjoyed it a great deal. That professor has some very good things to about the pace of life and how people view time. I get the feeling it was spliced together from a couple of talks, and that this video is just the Reader's Digest version. Either way, good stuff.

I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. That animated version is only a quarter of the full lecture...(imagine having to animate/draw an entire 41 minute lecture...lol). Here is the full lecture if you want to watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJybVxUiy2U

Upvote 0
Finished reading the Millennium trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc) just before Christmas and it kept getting better all the way through. I usually read SF rather than crime/thrillers but this was my favourite read in ages. The author definitely had an agenda to create strong female characters who stand up to men who try to denigrate, intimidate or abuse women. Its a recurring theme that he manages superbly without getting clich

Upvote 0
Just finished Blood of the Fold and I have to say, damn, these books are really good.

:D
They keep getting better and better, book 7 might just be my favorite
It is an outstanding series.

Just started "Debt of Bones" as I'm rereading the series in preparation for the release of the new book.
I might just give it a re-read even though i only finished it couple weeks ago.

Re reading Night Angel series now on old ladies kindle

Upvote 0
His writing style is definitely his own. His earlier novels were easier to read, so you may want to try The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. It has the dual distinction of being both populist (something like 30,000,000 copies sold) and well-regarded (TIME magazine All Time 100 Novels).

If someone is coming from a generic-thriller background (ie. Ludlum, Silva, Brown, Crichton, Grisham, etc.), then I recommend The Night Manager. I think it's his most mainstream and his fastest-paced one--and I use the term 'fast-paced' lightly, as le Carr

Upvote 0
I have never compared LeCarre to Ludlum but they are in the same genre I suppose. Just don't think they have the same style. Maybe I am wrong.
You are not wrong. They are, indeed, polar opposites. My goal was not to compare the two so much as show a natural progression for people who are looking for something more challenging. It's easier to go from Ludlum to The Night Manager than it is to go from Ludlum to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or A Perfect Spy. The two authors have vastly different focuses but, like you said, they both write in the same genre. Inevitably, a reader of one usually tries out books by the other. This is merely my suggestion so that it's less of a shock (less boring) for fans of Ludlum when they first try a le Carr

Upvote 0
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
Will be starting it tonight i suppose:D

edit: been bugging me, what is the *pats pats*...
That was suppose to be a comforting pat on the back for the bad ending. It's the worst when the series you're reading doesn't live up to your expectation and the ending leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

2nd edit: i just KNEW when i saw you were the last post in this thread that you would say that roze! LOL
:p I'm too obvious sometimes

Upvote 0
That was suppose to be a comforting pat on the back for the bad ending. It's the worst when the series you're reading doesn't live up to your expectation and the ending leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

:p I'm too obvious sometimes

Been getting a lot of that lately, lol. You were right for giving up on it (probably, ask me after taste leaves my mouth)

And your not obvious:p
I just know you SO well:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upvote 0
was there some post editing going on? is this a censored site? I should probably read the site rules again.

My other favorite site as a autocensor with a sense of humor. I try to autocensor myself but most people probably just think I'm odd.

What do you mean? In this thread? And I can only think of one word that is auto censored...

At any rate I started Legend last night
Denali series from that Gemmel dude. Seems pretty fat, bout 40 percent done already

Upvote 0
fify :p

How are you liking it so far?
:p And i meant it seems pretty phat, was just to lazy to use the 'ph' (plus that slang is pretty old and used up)

But, i has pulled me in, stuff has started popping off in the book now and the battle is imminent. Looking forward to getting back to work so i can have some quiet time to read, lol

How you feeling today roze?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones