• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What are you favorite ROMs?

stevcha

Android Expert
Nov 6, 2009
So what are your favorite Sense and AOSP ROMs? Ive been on MYN's Warm 2.2 since I got my EVO and love it. I played around with Cyanogenmod 6.1 the other day and gotta say it was pretty fast with Snap Kernel. It took quite a bit of prepping before the flash but overall not bad. I wasn't crazy about the stock theme/layout and just ended up going back to Myns.

Let's hear some of your favorites.

So what are your favorite Sense and AOSP ROMs? Ive been on MYN's Warm 2.2 since I got my EVO and love it. I played around with Cyanogenmod 6.1 the other day and gotta say it was pretty fast with Snap Kernel. It took quite a bit of prepping before the flash but overall not bad. I wasn't crazy about the stock theme/layout and just ended up going back to Myns.

Let's hear some of your favorites.

Myn's all day over here :D

Upvote 0
Fresh and Baked snack were pretty popular and ran smooth.
I have used just the stock a lot, and customized with widgets and launcher pro.

Lately i tried Myn's, it was good but i moved on.. Might try again soon.. SteelH, just a stock deodexed, its a great rom but gave me a few force closes, so i tried Calkulin's Evio 2 rom, and ive been rocking that for a few days. Im using whatever kernel that came on calkulins and some medium/moderate usage and im getting some grrreat battery life.
At the moment i have 9 hours 51 minutes since unplugged, and 42 percent left. Ive been home all day, using yahoo messenger, few phone calls, about 100 texts, wifi on, but i have one bar of signal in my house. With that low signal its managed to keep the battery lasting.

I might try CM as soon as they get the 4g rolling.

Upvote 0
I have always bounced between roms. Currently I have nandroid backups on my phone (all within the past 45 days) for
Calkulin
Myn
Fresh
CM

BUT NOW I HAVE FOUND MY NEW HOME.... MIUI. The 12.11 RC1 build of the MIUI rom for the Evo is amazing.
Better battery life then CM 6.1, outstanding performance, easy to alter themes and icon packs, just about everything works except for 4g.

Check it out over on MIUI-dev.com.

It's a sweet setup.

Upvote 0
I have always bounced between roms. Currently I have nandroid backups on my phone (all within the past 45 days) for
Calkulin
Myn
Fresh
CM

BUT NOW I HAVE FOUND MY NEW HOME.... MIUI. The 12.11 RC1 build of the MIUI rom for the Evo is amazing.
Better battery life then CM 6.1, outstanding performance, easy to alter themes and icon packs, just about everything works except for 4g.

Check it out over on MIUI-dev.com.

It's a sweet setup.

Id love to try it but id miss having 4g:(
I might try it out and make a nandroid just to hold onto.
How does it run? Do you get any force closes?
Thats one of the problems im running into here and there with different roms, i get random force closes with apps and browsing.

Upvote 0
Id love to try it but id miss having 4g:(
I might try it out and make a nandroid just to hold onto.
How does it run? Do you get any force closes?
Thats one of the problems im running into here and there with different roms, i get random force closes with apps and browsing.

It runs EXTREMELY smooth, and as mentioned the battery life is amazing.

There are a couple issues, but can be corrected or avoided with the right kernel match.

Stock rom has some random reboots, and the wifi occasionally gets hung scanning instead of connecting. But with a different kernel these two issues stop.

as for the 4g, I too occasionally miss it, but I realized the only time I ever even switch it on is for tether, and I just don't use that very often, I have a calkulin backup in case i ever need 4g. Course, when I went to CM 6.1 I lost 4g anyways, So I was already committed.

I'd recommend trying it. You can still use LPP or ADW if you wanted, but the stock launcher is very attractive.

The camera BTW is friggin SWEET! No FC issues for me.

Upvote 0
After being rooted for months without changing up the ROM I decided to flash my first non-stock ROM. Did some research and went with Myn's Warm 2.2 with HTC #17 kernel. Not bad at all. At times it is speedy, while other times it is very laggy (especially with Launcher Pro). Haven't noticed much difference in battery life vs stock but will play around with it a bit more. Also, I'm not a huuuge fan of the transparent notifications dropdown. Again, everything just seems... too dark. Will play around with themes later.

Upvote 0
It runs EXTREMELY smooth, and as mentioned the battery life is amazing.

There are a couple issues, but can be corrected or avoided with the right kernel match.

Stock rom has some random reboots, and the wifi occasionally gets hung scanning instead of connecting. But with a different kernel these two issues stop.

as for the 4g, I too occasionally miss it, but I realized the only time I ever even switch it on is for tether, and I just don't use that very often, I have a calkulin backup in case i ever need 4g. Course, when I went to CM 6.1 I lost 4g anyways, So I was already committed.

I'd recommend trying it. You can still use LPP or ADW if you wanted, but the stock launcher is very attractive.

The camera BTW is friggin SWEET! No FC issues for me.
Nice! Thanks for the reply.
Since you speak well of it, I might go ahead and flash it later on and try it out for a few days :)
What kernel has worked the best for you, or what are you using now?
Ill probably just run it stock at first and see how it goes then ill try a kernel if i need to.

Upvote 0
Nice! Thanks for the reply.
Since you speak well of it, I might go ahead and flash it later on and try it out for a few days :)
What kernel has worked the best for you, or what are you using now?
Ill probably just run it stock at first and see how it goes then ill try a kernel if i need to.

Go for it. There is a stable CFS kernel on the kernel thread under Evo. That's what I'm on with no issues.

Upvote 0
There is Myn's ROM and there are the others. I can't find anything else that I like nearly as much. The only thing that I'm disappointed in, is that when I rooted, I was looking forward to flashing lots of different ROMs and changing my phone up. Now, I'm so spoiled by this ROM that I just leave it.

You can look forward to flashing Myns updates to his awesome rom :p (and the themes that keep coming out for it)

Upvote 0
You can look forward to flashing Myns updates to his awesome rom :p (and the themes that keep coming out for it)

Ha ha...I suppose you are right. He is pretty good about updates. When I say "disappointed", I mean it in the kindest sense of the word. I would obviously much rather have such a good ROM all the time over cycling through a bunch of mediocre ones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones