• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I've had the Razor HD Maxx for two years now, and this thing is showing it's age. The battery still gets me through the day but responsiveness is getting to the point where it's frustrating to use and I put off doing things with my phone that I used to enjoy doing (it's basically just a portable device for reading reddit and receiving emails/texts now).

I am giving heavy consideration to the Nexus 6 (when Verizon finally gives some information, or just switching carriers) and the Galaxy S5. I have usually leaned more towards grabbing phones as soon as they hit the market, but the S5 seems like a strong contender for me even though it's been out a bit now.

I like the idea of having an official Google phone which is shipping with Lollipop. But there are three cosmetic issues which for some reason are really steering me away: the phone doesn't have a flat back, doesn't come in black, and doesn't have a notification LED. Am I making too big a deal out of these?

The S5 seems like a solid phone and from what I read it looks like Lollipop should roll out no later than January. I can also get it for $80 on contract which is kind of nice.

I've also been very busy lately so just haven't had the opportunity to do research like I usually do. I don't mind dropping a little cash to get a solid phone that's going to last me a good stretch. I picked the Razor HD Maxx because at the time it felt like it was kind of the best all around at everything. I am interested in the same experience this time.

Sticking with what I've got. Performance is fine for me. If you are having issues with performance, then it might be time to back it up and then do a complete factory data reset. Usually, performance is a sign of too much "junk" that has cluttered up the phone. This can include installing/uninstalling a lot of apps, temporary files, etc.

Or, a reboot into the recovery to clear the cache can also help instead of a complete factory data reset.

This will happen with just about any phone. But, if you are up for an updated, then by all means, I say go for it.

For me, no chance. I'm not ready to part with my unlimited data nor am I ready to pay for a phone outright at this time, and since it runs fine for me, I'll stick with what I've got.

For me, I'm currently running unofficial Lollipop on my phone and it's working pretty well. Yes, it has some warts since it's only been out since 11/14, but it's been my daily driver. Also, I have an unlocked boot loader and I'm not ready to move to a phone that doesn't give me that option and Verizon doesn't supply Nexus phones. Probably because you can unlock the bootloader with it, so they're being jerks about it.

So, I'll stick with my trusty XT926 RAZR HD. Works like a charm for me so there's no need to upgrade.

Upvote 0
A Wipe Cache Partition will remove only temporary files. The area can become corrupted over time and really start to cause performance problems.

I suggest giving that a try first.

If there is still a performance problem you can try running in Safe Mode disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them. If that solves the problem then it was caused by an app (or apps) that you added.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I've done a full factory wipe in the past including wiping the cache, helped a little, but I bought the phone just days after it was released and I think it's just old. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's put in a good solid two years and it's retirement time. Unfortunately I got slapped with the 2gb plan, so I don't have unlimited data holding me back anyway.

I've decided to go with the S5. I've enjoyed my time with the Droids (X and HD MAXX) but wasn't sold on the Turbo, so here we go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones