• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are your complaints about Moto Droid?

I love this phone...only two complaints...one major, one minor...

Minor: It stores my contacts screwy...I have a contact "Pat" a contact "Patricia" and a contact "Patty". It stores them all under "Patty", and when I get a call from any of them, the caller ID shows "Patty". No biggy, but I can't find a way to correct it.

Otherwise, I'm a happy camper!
contacts >view your contact>edit your contact Patty. There is an option to separate. Do that and it will separate all 3 contacts into their own list.

Upvote 0
1. Microsoft Exchange security support sucks. Why leave out the pin and the remote wipe!?!?!? My company kicked me off the email server because they say the droid is a security threat.

2. Glitchy pop email. Sometimes my email works, sometimes it doesnt. Yahoo stopped working after hacking it to work.

3. No Bluetooth voice dialing.

4. No short cut to the combined email box.

5. No Send or End buttons.

6. Phone app defaults to the dial pad. I'd prefer it to default to the call log. Better yet, display both.

7. Browser not as good as the iphone or palm pre.

8. Notification management sucks compared to the blackberry.

With that all said, I like the droid. The corporate email may be the show stopper though.

6. Give Super Dial a shot. It's a nicer interface for dialing. Free app from the market.

Upvote 0
Music app
Music app
Music app

I have a lot of live music by the same artist, including songs with the same title, because I have tons of different live versions (Dave Matthews Band and Foo Fighters) and the lack of album titles is driving me insane, which is why I love the iPhone music app, and the only reason I prefer that one. Other ones on the android market show the album titles on the song selection screen, but they're all either moody or sluggish.

Upvote 0
Goggles is miss-or-phail most of the time. When they get it working, it'll definitely be something to lord over iPhone users with (though Google will probably release it for the iPhone eventually anyway).

If I could make or receive calls on my Droid at home, that'd be awesome.

Free turn-by-turn directions, though, == Win.

You may not think this is a good workaround because of the $$, but Verizon's "Network Extender" (available on Verizon's website for $250 less 20% or $200 with promo code ACC20) actually solves that problem beautifully. I have two Droids (one of them is my wife's, actually) so it added $100 to the cost for each.

It is actually a "femtocell" (google it) and works basically by putting a mini cell tower in your home. You need a broadband internet connection and a router for it to work, because it backhauls the conversations as VoIP calls, so you Droids are nearly like land based devices. You can only have 3 phones in use at a time, but for most homes that works fine.

My house was a dead zone for Verizon. But my VZW femtocell has made it lively. :)

Upvote 0
Googlers Goggles reads business cards, read about 9 out of the 10 ones I tried perfectly!

Out of maybe 100 tries, I have yet had Goggles to read one business card right. I clean the lens, focus right, good lighting, simple card... I can get a good sharp picture, but the character scanning throws the characters all over the fields randomly it seems. It's never got the street address read from any card. For some reason, half the time the street address goes where the person's name should be (never in the "address" box).

Once when I got everything perfect on a simple card, and it scaned all three phone numbers (celll, work, fax) correctly in the right fields, only one of the numbers actually transfers over to my Contacts!!!!

What's your magic trick? Anyone else have success?

Upvote 0
Out of maybe 100 tries, I have yet had Goggles to read one business card right. I clean the lens, focus right, good lighting, simple card... I can get a good sharp picture, but the character scanning throws the characters all over the fields randomly it seems. It's never got the street address read from any card. For some reason, half the time the street address goes where the person's name should be (never in the "address" box).

Once when I got everything perfect on a simple card, and it scaned all three phone numbers (celll, work, fax) correctly in the right fields, only one of the numbers actually transfers over to my Contacts!!!!

What's your magic trick? Anyone else have success?
I think a steady hand and good lighting is the trick, my droid can pick up business cards easiest. What it has a problem with is barcodes, I've only gotten around 1 in 10 to scan, and it takes multiple tries.

The only problem I have with the droid is that my pocket lint gets stuck in the speaker, so my speaker (the one above the screen) is always tinted blue from my pants. Other than that, I really wish that the Android Market would get more titles, and not such crapware. But, as a phone, I love it, I love the device in general.

Upvote 0
Currently, my biggest complaint is that dust is getting underneath the glass...as in dust between the glass and the f*$#ing lcd display. 1st phone I've ever owned that has allowed dust to get underneath the glass. Really Motorola? Makes the display look like sh*t in sunlight. I've been thinking about trying to get a replacement because of this, but I'm guessing that the next one will probably have the same problem.

Upvote 0
You may not think this is a good workaround because of the $$, but Verizon's "Network Extender" (available on Verizon's website for $250 less 20% or $200 with promo code ACC20) actually solves that problem beautifully. I have two Droids (one of them is my wife's, actually) so it added $100 to the cost for each.

It is actually a "femtocell" (google it) and works basically by putting a mini cell tower in your home. You need a broadband internet connection and a router for it to work, because it backhauls the conversations as VoIP calls, so you Droids are nearly like land based devices. You can only have 3 phones in use at a time, but for most homes that works fine.

My house was a dead zone for Verizon. But my VZW femtocell has made it lively. :)

Good to know. But, while the option IS available, the cell and POTS providers have been stealing my family's land for years through eminent domain, thus I'm not eager to pay them *more* money for decent service. If they were willing to pony up for the land usage, I'd be able to call out.

Upvote 0
Finally got to play with one (I went to verizon to buy it) and was sorta shocked by the physical keyboard... so some of you really like it after a while? The keys are really as flat and tiny as everyone has been saying. Some sort of haptic feedback would help. Such a large area for a keyboard and still, the cramped space on a BB Bold still provides an easier to use keyboard. I left the store after about an hour, empty handed.

Referencing Gunner and UnsureSherlock above, but sort of straying off-topic -- how much longer till the fashion industry starts making cell-phone friendly clothing where it's just a given that there will be special cellphone pockets?? Anyone wanna invest?

Upvote 0
Currently, my biggest complaint is that dust is getting underneath the glass...as in dust between the glass and the f*$#ing lcd display. 1st phone I've ever owned that has allowed dust to get underneath the glass. Really Motorola? Makes the display look like sh*t in sunlight. I've been thinking about trying to get a replacement because of this, but I'm guessing that the next one will probably have the same problem.

Aww man, really? I hate dust between the screen. I haven't had that happen but then again I've only had my Droid for a couple of weeks.

Upvote 0
Finally got to play with one (I went to verizon to buy it) and was sorta shocked by the physical keyboard... so some of you really like it after a while? The keys are really as flat and tiny as everyone has been saying. Some sort of haptic feedback would help. Such a large area for a keyboard and still, the cramped space on a BB Bold still provides an easier to use keyboard. I left the store after about an hour, empty handed.

Referencing Gunner and UnsureSherlock above, but sort of straying off-topic -- how much longer till the fashion industry starts making cell-phone friendly clothing where it's just a given that there will be special cellphone pockets?? Anyone wanna invest?
They are out there, there's a jacket out right now for a few hundred bucks with device specific pockets, it's waterproof, etc. kinda neat but very expensive.

And on the keyboard topic, it really sucked at first, and still isn't the best experience, but overall I've gotten used to it, I'm still not super accurate but I'm pretty fast at this point.

Upvote 0
Easy there tiger. You obviously don't understand.

The playlist feature I don't use much actually. For me I'd like to see some type of album flip. I'd also like to see the shuffle back button actually go back, and when turning shuffle on it not immediately skip out of the song I was playing. I want it to shuffle when I'm done with the current song, get it? I would also like it to look like the interface was not designed by a color blind monkey from the 1980's.

For me, I'd love to be able to put a collection on random, hear a song and then bee able to pull out both album and artist info on in, not to mention playlists it is associated with. Also, as much as I dislike iTunes, the 'recently added' 'playlist' was nice.

Upvote 0
This phone has changed my life and I'm thankful for that but it's far from perfect and I will be looking at what comes out over the next 12-24 months.

1. The physical keyboard is a disaster. Why they came up with this design is a mystery. Add to this that its layout is often dramatically different than the virtual keyboard. "Oh, that's right, the question mark is on the second page now". Furthermore it several limits what you can use with regard to a protective case as ANY additional thickness on the display means even more trouble touching any of the top row of keys.

2. No ability to sort the contact by last name. Are you kidding me with this? 99% of humanity looks up people by their last name. I don't care what Facebook does. I end up having to dig through 20 Steve's for the right one.

3. Gmail app is extremely limited. I made the switch away from Thunderbird and have been homesick since. No RSS support. CC'ing includes ME. Reply button in ludicrous placement at the bottom.

4. Call log refers to calls from 48 hours ago as "Yesterday". In what world does that make any sense?

5. The camera is, even after 2.0.1, pretty useless. Getting it to read a bar code requires amazingly perfect lighting. I can see the barcode just fine. Why can't it?

6. I'm still not sure what the heck is going on with volumes. Ringer volume. Media volume. Volume is volume. Sometimes it turns down one and other times it turns down the other. So what's an alarm volume? Is that ringer or media? I'm never sure what I'm going to get.

7. Lack of common UI. Sometimes the back button exits an app. Sometimes it doesn't. Roll the big wheel to find out because you'll never know and mostly it's the opposite of what you wanted. I find myself sometimes leaving an app 3 times in succession trying to get to the top level of the app.

8. The market sucks. Wanna have some fun? Go look for a "calculator". I think there are over a thousand of them (and if there are 10,000 apps doesn't it suck of 10% of all the apps are calculators?) If I were a developer I'd be even more pissed. There's no way to really adequately search the market. It's just a big long list of mainly crap. Sort by Rating? Sort by Date? Sort by Popularity? More sub-categories? Come on.

Upvote 0
My only complaint is kind of minor, I do not hear sounds/non mp3's attatched to pictures sent from my friends while they are heard perfectly on my kids dare. I'd also like to be able to send a picture mesage with a sound attatched. Other than that no complaints.

I had a problem with a video sent to me in an SMS from my daughter on her Samsung Rogue (also on Verizon). At first I couldn't even see the video. Then I got that fixed but I couldn't hear the sound. I could on my computer but not on my phone. I'm kind of hoping that flash will fix that. I know this phone isn't perfect but it's already getting better. I don't *need* this on my phone but I know some do, and it sure would be nice!

Upvote 0
They are out there, there's a jacket out right now for a few hundred bucks with device specific pockets, it's waterproof, etc. kinda neat but very expensive.

And on the keyboard topic, it really sucked at first, and still isn't the best experience, but overall I've gotten used to it, I'm still not super accurate but I'm pretty fast at this point.

SCOTTEVEST/SeV - Travel Clothing and Travel Clothes Solutions, Buy Jackets, Vests, Golf Windbreakers, Hoodies, Pullovers, Pocket Shirts, Cargo Pants from our Travel Store

Upvote 0
For those complaining about the exchange client and lack of features, give Touchdown a try. There's a 5-day free trial in the Market. It's got almost everything covered, trust me.

Check out their site: http://www.nitrodesk.com/dk_touchdownFeatures.aspx

Back on topic:
My biggest complaint maybe the keyboard but I've gotten used to it. I'm still enjoying this phone too much to think about things to whine about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones