• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are your complaints about Moto Droid?

Sound quality. The best talking cell phones I ever had were Motorola (Timeport & V60). I first thought there was something wrong with the phone. So I swapped it before my 30 days were up and this one sounds just as bad. People sound muffled and phone sounds like there's to much bass. Also I don't how many times the person I was talking to said what or can you repeat that. If I use my bluetooth or cored head set then it's fine.

Not playing an animated GIF'S is really the only other thing I don't like.

Other than that I love the phone and all it can do.

Upvote 0
It's a phone. It's not a computer. It's not a Playstation 3. It's not a Blu-ray disk player! Just in passing, what do you do in the 3 hours a day you aren't fiddling with your Droid?;)

I don't that I agree with that first line. If anything, I'd argue that it's more of a computer than it is a phone.

In any case, my biggest complaints:

1. Crappy physical keyboard. The Treo 650 keyboard was sooo much better.
2. Crappy Exchange app (remedied by Touchdown)

Upvote 0
I absolutely love the Droid. I have to respectfully disagree with the poster that said that it's just a phone. It is so much more than just a phone. But here comes the whine:

1. The physical keyboard does indeed suck. I'm giving it a good effort, but with my fat, man sized fingers my typing is awfully dyslexic and results in lots of swearing. Even my stone aged Motorola Q was better. I know that you don't have to use it, but it's there. Why does it have to be so lame?

2. I hate that they went with the micro usb. I know that there are adapters, but really? More crap to buy? (And if you're like me lose, and buy again?) I hope that they really are adopting this one as a somewhat standard connection. I have about 42 other devices using the mini. Now when I travel I have a gaggle of cords that make me look like the cable guy.

3. I truly expected the camera to take better pics. As a photographer, my standards are probably a bit unrealistic, but picture quality truly leaves a lot to be desired. Fixable?

4. Three home screens? Thousands of apps available and advertised as a major selling point, plenty of memory to handle them and a desktop that can accomodate about a dozen when you use widgets (another heavily marketed feature). The home replacements I've experimented with slowed the device and caused lots of forced close havoc that I can't get around. This is fixable and I can't wait until it happens.

4. The market does need better organization. Another fixable problem. Not a Droid issue, per se, but...

5. The music player does need some work. I know that it's basic functions may seem sufficient to some, but I'm a music guy and I bought my Droid thinking that it would make my ipod touch obsolete. It hasn't. For a phone that blatantly calls out Apple in it's marketing I expected a slick interface ala itunes to manage my music right out of the box. Droid leaves that up to you to take care of via apps in the market. Not a dealbreaker, but an issue, nonetheless. But...a fixable issue.

6. A coffee app would be killer. Make one that cuts the grass and walks my dog too, while your at it.

I'm sure that most of my gripes will obviously be addressed and corrected in future updates and they may sound stoopid to some but that's what forums like this are for, no? The Droid is an amazing piece of equipment that impresses me with something new everyday. I can't understand why anyone would return it.

Upvote 0
I'm sure they'll fix a lot o the issues in the future but still bugs the hell outta me.

Big one is the inability to gain access to my contact list while trying to send a text. Seems really stupid to me. Yeah I get it that I can just type the name in,but when I'm sending merry Xmas to 200 people going down a contact list pasting merry Christmas over and over is pain annoying and a crazy waste of my time.i send out mass text on a daily basis and not alwaysto same people. This might be a deal breaker for me. I need that feature. The hope that some hci dude in Cali MIGHT fix it with an update is a lot more faith than I might be able to show. I just got this device. It just seems the developers forgot this was a phone and got hung up on apps and gadgets and gizmos.

The back button going back anywhere it wants is annoying, so luckily I'm very patient.

I like it overall but it can't handle a basic feature in cells since the advent of the text message..... the ability to send them to the people on a list from which I may choose.

Upvote 0
First off let me say that I really like my droid , but there are a few concerns that I have and I hope they get fixed ASAP.
1. The camera is the worst ever . I cant see anything when I take a picture because the screen is always black. No zoom on video camera !
2. The gallery setup is really the worst , there are so many folders that show duplicate photos and videos.
3.The well known fact that this phone does not support voice command for bluetooth.
4. The placement of the SDcard behind the battery is funny but not a big deal.
these are my issues with this phone .

Upvote 0
1. There needs to be tighter contact integration that makes sense. I am tired of having to select which phone number I meant to call or text when the only differences between the two are spaces versus dashes between prefix etc. Not sure where duplicate phone numbers are coming from in the first place...Google sync? Facebook? More options to change what information is pulled would be great.

2. Google Latitude is awesome, but it too needs better contact integrate. For example, why am I unable to call or text a contact from the latitude list?

3. I really REALLY dislike how short the included USB cable is, and CAN'T STAND how it is not located at the bottom like the iphone or the Eris. It makes it incredibly difficult to use the phone while it is charging.

4. Lastly, the Droid calendar is absolutely abysmal. It looks crappy and brings you to hourly view by default when clicking a day. Unlike their web and iphone counterparts, Google's built in calendar is surprisingly lacking a multitude of features.

5. While im on a tangent, there are also no decent replacement calendars in the Market - trust me, I look daily. It seems that the current priority for developers (like the iphone app store) is to create fart and social apps, rather than things productive people like to use.

Upvote 0
I'm sure they'll fix a lot o the issues in the future but still bugs the hell outta me.

Big one is the inability to gain access to my contact list while trying to send a text. Seems really stupid to me. Yeah I get it that I can just type the name in,but when I'm sending merry Xmas to 200 people going down a contact list pasting merry Christmas over and over is pain annoying and a crazy waste of my time.i send out mass text on a daily basis and not alwaysto same people. This might be a deal breaker for me. I need that feature. The hope that some hci dude in Cali MIGHT fix it with an update is a lot more faith than I might be able to show. I just got this device. It just seems the developers forgot this was a phone and got hung up on apps and gadgets and gizmos.

The back button going back anywhere it wants is annoying, so luckily I'm very patient.

I like it overall but it can't handle a basic feature in cells since the advent of the text message..... the ability to send them to the people on a list from which I may choose.

Try Handcent for multiple recipient texting. I prefer it to the stock messaging app.

Upvote 0

This is your first post, and you are obviously a new Droid user so let me explain a few things. First, there is a method to Android's mahem with regard to using the back key. The way it was designed to work is to go back a "step" to whatever you were doing previously. This means that if you were on a web page it will go back to the previous page. Similarly, if you did not have any apps previously open and you choose to go back, it will bring you back to the home screen. Again, if you DID happen to have an app previously open, but launched an app that you went zero steps "forward" with, then it will bring you to the previously used app. Pretty simple once you understand how it works.

Admittedly there is a caveat in the messages app where pressing back will go to the home screen, rather than to the list of people you've been texting. Again, this is because you weren't previously using the messaging app, so it dumps to the home screen rather than to the list of threads. Had you sent a message without leaving the app, the back key will bring you right back to threads.

On another note, your issue regarding mass text messaging is also easily remedied. It might not be everyone's favorite solution, but a $1.50 app in the app store called "Group SMS Pro 2.0" will enable you to mass text to your heart's content, and it can make pre designated groups as well.

Upvote 0
This one is actually an advantage. All manufacturers except for Apple have agreed to adopt the micro usb as the standard charger for all phones. Get all you need now and by 2011 or 12 you will never have this problem again no matter what phone you buy (unless you get an iPhone in the future)

That's good to know. Time to get a handful of those adapters. I have a number of BB power cables that will be good to go.

Funny the Eris. Didn't go with the STD.

Upvote 0
My biggest gripe (with both 2.0 and 2.0.1 to date) is having to reboot the phone in order to listen to wifi music via services like DroidLive and others. It also has some issue with the oem music player and mp3's. It will only play them after a fresh reboot, otherwise I get a "This file type is not supported" error. Even though it had previously played the same song.

Second issue is the Android's OS browser (and others) not using folders for the bookmarks. When I copied over my PC fav's into the Droid I had 1700+ to scroll through. It would be easier for me to type it or google it. I had to cut the export down to a bare minimum in order to see them and scroll quickly.

Third, more apps. Where are all the retail vendor apps that that other company has (I won't speak the name).

Upvote 0
I have trouble with my Droid re-dialing the last caller I dialed. My daughter listened to me the other a.m. carrying on a total conversation with her Dad. Sometimes re-dials last called 3-4x. Do I need to add a password?

Since I've learned some of the quirks, I like it pretty well. I had never had a SmartPhone so took some getting used to. ;)

That made me laugh. I had a BB Pearl before the Droid. It started making calls to the last person called.

After a while it started going into the address book and arbitrarily pick out a number and call it. I had one circumstance where I fell asleep with it in my holster. It called a gal that played on my pool team 2 years before and someone I hadn't called in that amount of time.

First call-in 12:30 am. Last call around 5:30 am. Seven calls.

The funny thing was that in the 3 to 4 years I had the phone, that was about the maximum number of calls I was ever able to make from home. Basically no signal at home with T-Mobile.

Just glad she was such a good sport.

Upvote 0
My Droid has frozen several times while using the camera. My only resolution has been to take the battery out to reset the phone. This seriously erks me.

The camera as a whole is very disappointing...I mean, sure it's a smartPHONE and not a smartCAMERA, but as much as they boasted the 5mp camera feature of the phone, I really expected more.

Are there any solutions to the camera freeze bug?

Other than that...I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my Droid!!! In fact, I am working on having legislation introduced in our State Legislature to amend our Constitution so that I can legally marry my Droid =D

Upvote 0
My Droid has frozen several times while using the camera. My only resolution has been to take the battery out to reset the phone. This seriously erks me.

The camera as a whole is very disappointing...I mean, sure it's a smartPHONE and not a smartCAMERA, but as much as they boasted the 5mp camera feature of the phone, I really expected more.

Are there any solutions to the camera freeze bug?

Other than that...I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my Droid!!! In fact, I am working on having legislation introduced in our State Legislature to amend our Constitution so that I can legally marry my Droid =D

Sadly, I also am very disappointed in the quality of the camera. I waited for the 5.0 just for that purpose, acutally my LG Envy (lst one) took far superior photos than my DROID.

Seems my 2nd Droid is working properly, I just have to get over the touchiness of the pad since I just wasn't used to that feature. I do like being able to look at FB, USA Today, TWC, etc., etc., while away from home, a good thing.

Upvote 0
Had the same bluetooth pairing problem with my Hero and BMW. Problem solved with Acer Liquid. Bluetooth connects everytime and faster than the blackberry use too. I think it is something to do with the bluetooth software in the android 1.5 (hero) vs. 1.6 (Liquid) for my case.

OK, I do love this phone - BUT - the biggest disappointment has been with Bluetooth: my Droid paired with my BMW, but will only connect manually - that is when it even WILL connect! I can't load my phonebook at all, and there is NO VOICE DIALING, which was a near-deal-breaker...only hung on because of the promise of BT upgrade with 2.0.1, which I don't have yet, so still waiting to see if it actually does improve...

Upvote 0
I installed an app called Antivirus Free...When it was installed made my droid crash about every 3 minutes (not kidding)..once it was uninstalled it was fine as of right now. But I guess don't install apps unless you read reviews about it and find out if it is good or not on the forums :) Alittle heads up :cool:

Remember, Droid uses the Google Android OS. I've never heard of a virus affecting Andriod in any current release. If there were, I think we would have heard of it here.;)

Upvote 0
So I got myself a Motorola Doid and my Wife the HTC Droid Eris. Honestly believe the Eris is a better phone. Some things about the Motorola that are just stupid:
1) Cannot group contacts. I mean how stupid is that? Here is a super smart phone, supposedly, and I have to download some app to make contact lists and still jump through extra hoops to send group text and email? The Eris does this just fine.

2) When I open the Droid to use the keypad, it does not find words or correct mistakes automatically. Why use the stupid keypad? I coulda saved alot of weight if I just bought the Eris. The on screen keyboard works fine.

3) Droid has only 3 main screens where the Eris has 7.

Yeah I am just not seeing why I paid the extra money for a Motorola, especially after having a Razr, or should I say 4 Razrs, over the last few years

Upvote 0
I have 4 complaints that I'm pretty sure are features left out of the actual os not the phone so hopefully Google will add them in later updates or if they are already available if someone could let me know how to access them it would be greatly appreciated. But they are:

1. Not able to go into contact list and select multiple contacts to send a sms to. You are able to send a mass sms but have to add them one one by one by typing in their names without looking at your contact list.

2. Desktop does not go into horizontal display unless the keyboard is flipped out. This can get annoying when going from a horizontal display app like a game to a different app like pandora. (Don't know if this is only a problem with moto-droid).

3. From my experience you can't access the internet when on the phone and due to this cannot use apps that require the internet.

4. You are not able to use the "voice search" ability to respond to texts. I realize its meant for searching hands free but from my experience it does a very nice job interpreting what you are saying and could be used to respond to sms while driving.

Other than that however I love the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones