• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what are your top ten apps.

Same here, it's just there in the rare times when I wanna switch back to TW for helping someone.
Precisely, someone will ask a question about TW or something and sometimes its just easier to bounce back in. Also every once in awhile I bounce back in to make sure I dont have anything running in the background underneath LP in TW. I assume I got rid of most of the bloatware but every once in a while I find there's something else I can get rid of

Upvote 0
Great list and let me add my favortie apps
Angry Birds- great game
Battery Indicator
Doubletwist-Sync Mp3 music and videos to your Fascinate
Flickr Free- upload photos to your Flickr account.
Home Switcher- changes the default bing settings to google
Google Maps- Saved about $130 not buying a Tom-Tom
NHL Game Center
Picsay-adding pop ups to your photos
Skyfire browser- Fantastic. I can view sports content from MLB NFL NHL desktop websites. It takes time but its free
Also i can visit justin tv and view certain live sports,news and other events.(msnbc was a 6 sec delay)
TuneIn Radio- allows me to hear NHL and NFL radio broadcast with a 90 second delay from local teams broadcast(no MLB)
WeatherBug

Upvote 0
If I used home switcher, could I keep TW but use the search button through LP to default it to Google. Is that a stupid question? Lol

i think you have to actually use lp for the google search.

Another good one (it may have been mentioned here already, if so sorry) is adb wireless. Its good for times when you just can't find your usb cable or if you have a wireless network at work and dont bring it with you.

Upvote 0
I guess my question was could I use two launchers at the same time for different Functions

you can switch back and forth with home switcher or you could choose to not set a default so every time you hit the home key it ll ask which launcher you want, but that would bug me. I'm sure there have to be some people that do it that way.

I would think your battery would run down faster because if you have widgets running on 2 different launchers, theyre still running in the backround regardless.

Reactions: ehasley
Upvote 0
Free:

Google Voice
Kindle Reader
AppBrain and Fast Web Installer
TweetDeck
WiFi Analyzer
OurGroceries
Mr. Number Call Block
Mint.com Personal Finance
Autokiller Memory Optimizer (set on optimum)
NewsRob (Google Reader/RSS)
BattStatt Free
Contacts Clean-up

Paid:

Launcher Pro Plus
LauncherPro Icons and Docks
Beautiful Widgets
Screebl Pro
ICE: In Case of Emergency
Power Control Plus
Titanium Backup Pro
Root Explorer
Rom Manager Premium
Audio Manager Pro

Upvote 0
anyone know an accurate weather app? I've been using BW and both google/accuweather settings were not accurate. It was POURING yesterday where I was, and it said "misty" on accuweather and cloudy on google. SIGHZ...

Weather Bug is probably the most accurate that I have found, but if you don't have it set up just right it can kill your battery pretty quickly.

Reactions: GoBruins
Upvote 0
Software

Launcher Pro Plus or ADW. I keep switching between both.
Feedr
Pure Messenger
Jorte
WebSharing
Slacker
Orb Live
PhoneMyPC
Meridian Media Player
Skyfire
K-9 Mail for Pure
NFL Mobile
Scorecenter
Quickdial
Weather and Toggle Widget

Games (Just for kicks. I barely play most of them.)

Sims 3
Monopoly Here And Now
Uno HD
Call of Duty
Hold Em
Fifa 10
NFL 2010
Quake 3
Hawx
Sim City Metropolis
New York Nights 2

Upvote 0
Coming from Windows Mobile (for 10 years!), I'm going crazy with apps -- loaded about 100 so far. Top ones:

Paid:
Slingplayer
DocsToGo
LogMeIn
RPN Calc Financial
Mileage Tracker
Portable Scanner
Labyrinth
Art Institute of Chicago

Free:
Barcode Scanner
Evernote
Facebook
Dropbox
Urbanspoon
Fox 5 DC
Kindle
eReader
Calorie Counter
All the Google apps
Verizon Navigator

I'm also looking forward to a few apps that I have on iPad coming to Android. Can't wait until Zinio, Wired, Vanity Fair, etc. get here.

I also wish Pocket Informant (now in beta on Android) had Exchange support, especially for Tasks.

Upvote 0
Just a random comment about sportstap:

I used to run sportstap (the app), but I found it to be draining app. YMMV, but every time I checked settings => applications => running applications => sportstap would be running frequently.

As a substitute, I just bookmarked my SportsTap mobile website, sportstap.mobi and it worked just as effectively, without the background application running.

Just wanted to make a quick comment!

Reactions: Don S
Upvote 0

I used to run sportstap (the app), but I found it to be draining app. YMMV, but every time I checked settings => applications => running applications => sportstap would be running frequently.

As a substitute, I just bookmarked my SportsTap mobile website, sportstap.mobi and it worked just as effectively, without the background application running.

Nice. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Same here. I booted the app for the same reason

Upvote 0
Just adding one here: Android hacker's system tool - Android app on AppBrain
I dont know how I didnt have this one yet.
snap20101030_191818.png

Coolest part was there is an internal benchmark for the sdcard. Most of us know our cards that ship with the phone are only Class 2 and some people rush out to buy Class 6 thinking its faster.
I was pleased to see write speeds exceeding 10MB/sec and reads in the mid teens as well. By definition a Class 6 card only needs to write at 6MB/sec. So from one point of view my/our sdcard is Class 10 based on the below screenshot. Now admittedly, I have a Class 6 SDCard for my camera and I know the read write speeds of it are higher still than this microsdhc card we have. Nevertheless, the write and read speeds I just benched clearly show we have enough "speed" for 720p video or anything else our cards need / can do. We are a bit short of 1080p recommendation but we dont really have to worry about that

Reactions: Mazeraski
Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads-up on Android Hackers saps, looks like a cool app.

My top apps (way over 10):

AppBrain App Market
SwiftKey Keyboard
NoLED
Alarm Clock PlusV2
Titanium Backup
Handcent SMS
ROM Manager
LauncherProPlus
Dropbox
Audiomanager Widget
SetCPU
Skyfire
ShootMe
JuiceDefender
Phandroid News
NYTimes
RingDroid
BatteryLife
...and of course, World Cup Virtual Vuvuzela :D

...last one is a joke. But really, I do have that app.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads-up on Android Hackers saps, looks like a cool app.

My top apps (way over 10):

AppBrain App Market
SwiftKey Keyboard
NoLED
Alarm Clock PlusV2
Titanium Backup
Handcent SMS
ROM Manager
LauncherProPlus
Dropbox
Audiomanager Widget
SetCPU
Skyfire
ShootMe
JuiceDefender
Phandroid News
NYTimes
RingDroid
BatteryLife
...and of course, World Cup Virtual Vuvuzela :D
...last one is a joke. But really, I do have that app.
Looks like someone's been in my app drawer. I have all but one of those

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones