What basic features do you hope will be in the EPIC???

Last Updated:

1. beldorian

beldorian Active Member This Topic's Starter

One of Samsung/Sprint/Google's stated goals with this phone according to CNET is to give Blackberry users a compelling device and feature set to enable them to switch away from their BB phones and still have a best in class business experience. However, even as these phones become more and more capable, I am always shocked by the lack of, what I consider to be, basic features & functionality.

What you would consider to be the basic feature set for the Epic that would make you confidently change away from Blackberry to the Epic...

Here is a starter list to kick off the discussion:
    • Hands Free Operation (being able to use a long press your bluetooth headset to voice dial)
    • Voice Dialing that actually works
    • Synchronization for ALL services including Email, Calendar & Contacts

I am REALLY hoping to be able to switch to the Epic. I hope that the apparent delays in release have to do with the device attaining the above features and I'm looking forward to what other members of the forum have to say about features that they once enjoyed or thought were basic which are still not working in Android.

If there are any Sprint, Samsung, or Google trolls watching, please make sure at a minimum that the bluetooth long press voice dialing is working. It is amazing the loss of productivity I went through last month while trying out the EVO and this is the single largest lack of functionality which caused me to return the phone and go back to my Blackberry.

Advertisement
  2. Scientific

Scientific Member

I'm hoping you can make calls with it....that would be nice. And send text messages, that would be cool too...

andross77 and beldorian like this.
  3. beldorian

LOL... funny! I hope that too...

Not to mention a working GPS - so I can finally automate my mileage tracking!!!

4. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

I'll take a release date, that's the only feature I'm looking for.

5. beldorian

*nod* would be a good start, right??? I'm 41 years old here and I am really just hoping for a release date before I'm dead *grins*

6. MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

I am a current BlackBerry user - a Curve 8330m. As a phone it is great. Texting is great. Music player - great. Pics - not too bad. Email - well this is where things fall apart for me. Web browsing is a joke. And video is horrible.

It is also a listed as a GPS enabled device, but only Sprint can use it (that is what the "m" is for in the Curve 8330m). I find that extremely annoying.

So I'm excited about a full keyboard. Those little BlackBerry keys with my fat thumbs drive me nuts. I miss-key at least 20% (that's why I never really got on board with integrating my office email on the device). Plus a real web browser. And a Google -powered GPS is really cool.

I can go on and on but I will hold on those three. No I won't. I can read books and watch movies and video conference with the family when I'm away (all the time). I have access to a wealth of apps that cost little to nothing. 4G speed, 24 bit color, 4 inch screen, pinch to zoom, 6-axis accelerator for 3D gaming, wifi, wireless tethering, blah blah blah...

7. crow11ad

crow11ad Well-Known Member

I hope it has more internal storage...oh 16 gigs with micro sd slot...We know it has the micro sd...but 16 gig internal and not a 16 gig memory card....but oh well if it does...just please release and let me upgrade when it does.

8. rckozma

rckozma Well-Known Member

For me, it has to have visual voicemail. That really is a deal breaker for me.

9. SebastianX

SebastianX Well-Known Member

Visual voicemail is included even on my Moment so I'm 99% sure you won't have a problem there.

10. Scientific

Scientific Member

Even if it doesn't, there are a few visual voicemail apps in the market...youmail is a decent one.

11. So-Low Da Don

So-Low Da Don Well-Known Member

Well every feature I want is already there (and a few extras) and 3x better than my Hero's so I'm happy!

12. dietcoke

dietcoke Banned

It should have a working GPS, I know getting my hopes up here. :p

beldorian likes this.
  13. RichieHD

RichieHD Well-Known Member

I think I'll be able to last the full 2 year contract with this phone. As long as either Samsung fixes the GPS or we get custom roms worth using, then it's all good.

14. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

No, I'd say you were just trolling at this point. Pathetic.

15. beldorian

It would be super cool if they released it with 2.2 eh???

Biggest deal breaker for me will be if the sync doesn't work...

16. beldorian

I wish U.S. phones would adopt the same nav buttons that the Asian Galaxy S phones came with... When I had the EVO I kept hitting the search button every time I picked up the phone... I know, I know, I was picking it up wrong! (per Steve Jobs) :)

17. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

- TV out via 3.5mm
    - Samsung Music Player (same as other Galaxy S phones)
    - A widget that works with the Samsung Music player so I can simply hit play on my homescreen when I want music.
    - A kickstand

18. Puddin422

Puddin422 Well-Known Member

Even Instinct has visual voicemail. I'm sure Epic will. It's pretty standard on most phones now.

I just want a calendar with alerts, a Notes type program like Instinct has, basic calculator, alarm clock.

19. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

Make sure you have a functioning GMAIL account set up before you go to the store--Spend some time getting all your contacts/phone numbers/email addys, birthdays in the google calendar That way you'll have an easy synch and be running full steam.

20. MissJennell

MissJennell Well-Known Member

Since I am coming from a blackberry I am hoping it can keep up with what I am doing without it freezing up and so forth.

21. rckozma

rckozma Well-Known Member

Well the Palm Pre didn't, and I thought it was a pretty basic feature too. I was about to get the Pre until I did the research and found out not only did it not have it, but Palm had no intention of adding it even though their users wanted it.

I know there are apps out there that perform almost the same functionality, I just like having a phone that has it built in.

22. Puddin422

Puddin422 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's pretty crappy of Palm. :(

23. iwillfearnoevil

iwillfearnoevil Well-Known Member

one of the reviews from yesterday mentioned epic has visual voicemail.