what can android system recovery do?Support

1. anywhere

anywhere New Member

I want to do factory reset. when I went to "android system recovery" and selected "factory reset", I was asked if I want to clear all user data.

What does this function do? Will it wipe out everything on my SD card and every information I put on my phone like email settings? What about the existing applications I installed? Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

No. It wipes out all of your installed applications and starts you fresh as if you just bought the phone.

However, all apps that you have installed and / or purchased through the market are tied to your primary Google account on your phone, so when you add that account back as the primary account after wiping, it hsould start to re-=populate all of your applications.

Settings, well, someof the system settings are restored, but only if you have the 'setting' set to synch your settings to your Google account.

SMS Backup and Restore is a good (non-root) way to make backups of your SMS (provided that you are not using Google Voice exclusively for your SMS - if you are, then GV already has all your SMS in *it* )

The factory reset DOES NOT WIPE YOUR SDCARD. EVER.

Finally, your Contacts and Calendar should automatically be synchronizing to your Google account as well.

HTH
  3. patch

patch Well-Known Member

Do you know if it wipes and restores /system?
  4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

it does not. The factory reset wipes the data and cache partitions and I think it wipes your prl as well because you have to reactivate after doing it. Not sure exactly on the prl thing though its been awhile since I messed with factory reset on the stock recovery.