What can I do to replace my current phone?

Last Updated:

1. gh0atd

gh0atd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the hero, unfortuantely, I got it around christmas so the 30-Day return period is out of the question. I would like to know, what can I do to be able to replace my current phone with a new phone (say the Supersonic, when/if it comes out)?

I have TEP, if that helps any, however, just getting off the phone with a Customer Service Rep, she said that TEP only replaces the current phone and won't replace to another model. Which, I am sure if I went in person, my "cool" tech may be a bit more lenient with things.

Is there any way other then paying for a new contract?

Advertisement
  2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Yes, its called buying it. Nothing a tech can do can get you a different phone unless the hero is completely out of stock. Quit trying to get things for free, and put that effort into making money and you can afford that new phone.

3. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

+1 This is why things cost so much nowadays...

4. acp

acp Well-Known Member

You're pretty much in the same situation as me, if you are happy with Sprint then do your best to enjoy the Hero now and then reevaluate your situation if the Supersonic ends up with Sprint. If you keep the Hero in good condition I'm sure you can get $150 - $200 for it and then just pay the difference for the Supersonic.

5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Why do you want to get rid of the phone? Are you just wanting something new?

6. gh0atd

I didn't realize that the Supersonic (if it comes to Sprint) was coming incredibly soon. I could have waited another 3 or 4 months for the phone. I got the Hero as a Christmas present, which is why I am asking. Nothing wrong with the current one I have, just trying to figure out if I could find a way to upgrade it.

As for IOWA, I am definitely willing to pay for the difference, I just don't want have to extend the contract, pay any end of termination contract fees, etc. As far as making money, while jobs are scare, I have one, but they don't schedule me and I am looking for other forms of employment.

7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Honestly, I'd just worry about it once the new phone comes out... but you'll have to pay full price.

8. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

Start selling things on craigslist

9. April_Fool_79

April_Fool_79 Well-Known Member

Any time you get a discount on equipment they are going to require a contract extension. Period. This is non-negotiable. If you are a Premier customer, you get yearly upgrades (on the primary line of a Share plan) so you can get it for full discount in December.

And TEP will only allow you to get another of the same model unless there are none of yours available, then you get the next *COMPARABLE* model, not necessarily an automatic upgrade. TEP is provided through Asurion, *NOT* Sprint, so there is not a whole lot of leeway with this, even if you "lost" your phone.

10. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

Buy a Supersonic on ebay when they come out, usually cheaper than the Sprint full price, then sell your Hero on ebay. I have a new phone every 3-6 months by doing this. ;)

11. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

what is all the "IF" it comes to sprint thing? it's a 4g WiMax phone.... where else would it go?

12. gh0atd

Because as of now, it has yet to be released or determined if it is heading to Sprint, and as such is still a rumor.

13. acp

acp Well-Known Member

this is good advice

14. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Sorry if I seemed overly Harsh. It's just I hate when people try to work the system making it worse for everyone else. The eBay idea works.

15. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

but where else would a CDMA/WiMax phone go? sprint is the ONLY place that phone would work... ANYWHERE, the russian wimax is wimax/gsm so it can't even go there...
    im just saying the phone as we know it HAS to go to sprint or else it's not the phone we know