1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

What can I do with LauncherPro

Last Updated:

1. bigtex19

bigtex19 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i am new to android, and even though im pretty tech savvy i dont know all the little details about what to get on my phone. for example today i was informed that task killer is bad, which was totally new information to me. anyway to the point! what can i do with launcher pro and how do i go about doing those things?

Advertisement
  2. vud911

vud911 Well-Known Member

Download it and find out? It is pretty much free...unless you want the extras.

3. bigtex19

yeah i downloaded it and all it seemed to do was take away my seven screens and icons and just make one semi big screen. i see people with some custom themes and they talk about launcher, i just didnt know if i had to root my phone to do that or what

4. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

check the preferences for LP... you can have up to 7 screens and there's a scrolling dock icon at the bottom with up to 15 icons, each of which can have two functions.

You do not have to root your phone to use LP or LPP.

5. TheAx

TheAx New Member

6. danlaw777

danlaw777 Well-Known Member

how do you get 2 functions on each of the dock icons?

deadinside likes this.
  7. jimdroid

Press and hold the dock icon, one of the choices is Swipe Gesture Action, which sets the action that icon will performed when swiped (either up or down) as opposed to being tapped.

For example, I have a Market icon (cuz I go there a lot) and the swipe gesture action for it is to open the App Drawer. I have a phone dock icon for which the swipe gesture is to open Contacts, etc.

deadinside likes this.
  8. MacII

MacII Well-Known Member

Long press the doc icon on the launcher pro launch bar and select "swipe gesture action" from the menu. Then choose what you want it to do.

When you've completed the setup, swipe your finger from the bottom of the icon to the top and it will do what you set it up to do!

For instance, I have an icon for dolphin browser and I set up the swipe action to open skyfire browser.

Edit: What Jimdroid said... :)

9. jimdroid

10. bigtex19

what about the custom theme stuff, how do you do that

11. Zumi

Zumi Well-Known Member

LP themes? I think you are talking about ADW if you want themes for your dock - unless you get further into LPP and it's paid options.

Themeing for the android O.S. itself requires root and most of them require you to have 2.2 (Froyo) and be deodexed. You can check the rooting forum if you're interested in this type of 'Theme'.

12. bigtex19

i saw some pictures of screens that i had never seen before in a link to another post in that top ten things to do to your droid x post that was talked about before

13. Zumi

Zumi Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you're talking about the Black Gloss theme - is it the top notification bar you're talking about? Those are justified by themes that are installed with root (odex and deodexed versions are available, but most snazzy ones required deodexed rooting)

If you mean how the dock looks at the bottom, that's changed with LPP or ADW in their settings. Just takes some tinkering around and downloaded themes from the market.

14. bigtex19

im not talking about the notification bar. im talking about the the bottom and the different things that are displayed when the phone is locked. also what is adw?

15. Zumi

Zumi Well-Known Member

Ok then - ADW is basically the same thing as Launcher Pro, it's all personal preference.

You can download themes directly from the market for it.

16. bigtex19

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im talking about stuff like this. i just want to know how to make my phone look like this and how to browse other themes like these

17. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

They are just different backgrounds (wallpapers) and different icons that are being used on the dock and home screens.

18. Dtatch

Dtatch Well-Known Member

The previous is the Revolution theme which requires root. There are also custom icons in that that do not require root. If you look at the android themes thread there are many of those icons. You can also theme launcherpro but its not as easy as ADW and requires you to actually mess with the .apk. I posted a thread yesterday that is in the android themes section that details how to modify .apk files. Also I believe I heard that you can theme the HTC keyboard yourself (pictured above), but I have not done this so I would ask the author of that post.

Edit: and Nexus Theme

19. arelunde

arelunde Member

With BlackBerries, you had to have themes to change the appearance. With DX, the Launcher Pro Plus (or other such apps) offers a huge variety of icons, docks, and screen arrangements. In essence, you design your own "theme" using LP+ and your own wallpaper. There's a free download off Market for LP+ icons. You will need that as a basis. Download the free Launcher Pro and upgrade to the LP Plus for maximum fun and flexibility.

Check out the LP+ threads in this forum for some of the extras and a TON of ideas. There's a thread with photos of DX owner's home screens. Lots of how-to's there.

Also threads that offer lots of wallpapers for free.

20. bigtex19

so complicated lol

21. MacII

MacII Well-Known Member

My wife is one of the least tech savvy people you could meet and she had no problem at all figuring out how to customize things in launcher pro. She adjusts her theme almost daily. You would be fine figuring it out I'm sure.

22. Dtatch

Dtatch Well-Known Member

What I would do is not buy LP+ right away. Get LauncherPro and ADW and try them both out and see which one suits you better. One major advantage to ADW is it is open source and that is why you see so many variations of it. Many rom builders and theme makers will not touch LauncherPro because it is not open source. LauncherPro offers widgets if you pay for them, so really it comes down to personal preference.

23. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I believe Fede is looking into a way to get his LP+ widgets to work on ADW, provided you are a LP+ license owner.

24. Dtatch

Dtatch Well-Known Member

Does this also mean that LP must be running in the background? From what he was saying, because they are built into LauncherPro they cannot be downloaded separately from LauncherPro.

25. bigtex19

i was just being sarcastic im pretty sure that i could figure it out too if i just took the time to sit there and mess with it for a while. i have just been preoccupied at work for the most part